IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > sprint week newer oldie
7/11/12, 8:14 AM   #1
sprint week newer oldie
randy j

Back when the California dudes used to come out in bunches. 1998 Rickie Gaunt at the old Kokomo

8 members like this post: IndyBound, jim goerge, Pitpass, racegal, racinrandy221, ronmil, Russ
7/11/12, 11:53 AM   #2
Re: sprint week newer oldie
Mach2

Does the right hand down tube look bowed or am I seeing things???

7/11/12, 12:57 PM   #3
randy j

that's how those california cars were built

7/11/12, 7:10 PM   #4
richie

I'll never forget when Rickie Gaunt came out for Sprintweek in that car in 1998 and I became a fan of him for life.

The Racin' with D.O. radio show was taking place in front of the Fifth Turn Pub (right outside IMS). I was walking around collecting autographs from all the drivers I could find. I walked up to Rickie Gaunt to get his signature. I had never met him before and, to me, he was amongst the names from SCRA who I never saw, but could only read about in National Speed Sport News.

Anyway, my racing shirt collection at the time was fairly sparse and I felt I needed to ask for one from my dad for a birthday present, so I walked up to Gaunt and asked how much his t-shirts were. He told me $20, so I run back to my dad to get some money. When I get back to Rickie, he walks me back to his trailer and gives me a t-shirt. Instead of taking the money, he tells me "You don't owe me anything."

Needless to say, Rickie Gaunt made a big fan that day. I still have that shirt and wear it on occasion. Never got to see him run very much out here in Indiana, but there weren't too many people who were happier than me when he set quick time at the Bloomington Sprintweek race in 1998.

Getting to meet "Super Rickie" and then to get a free t-shirt from him was something very neat for the 12-year old racing fanatic that I was at the time. All these years later, it's still a very cool gesture and one that I will always remember.

3 members like this post: 2fast4u, i love dirt track racing, Sprints!
7/11/12, 11:27 PM   #5
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

you were 12 at the time and 14 years later you can still wear the t-shirt on occasions? i hope it was big on you in the beginning or a bunch of us will want to know your secret on staying so slim all these years, jk. I miss the Cali guys too, one night i was beside the Kruzer and asked him if the haul across country wasn't brutal. He said it was, but worth it, "I can do more racin' here in 2 weeks then I can at home in 2 months." The good thing about Sprint Weeks finally being here is nobody will be sittin' at home "saving their stuff". Looking forward to a full house at Gas City and only 2 nights away now, see ya there, bob

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

...1 additional HUGE point about Richie's post, Please be good to the kids, boys and girls of all ages, they hold the future to our favorite sport. Rickie Gaunt made a lifelong fan that night, not only for himself but for our sport...and all for the cost of a simple t-shirt. bob.

1 member likes this post: richie
7/11/12, 11:38 PM   #6
richie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARFprez View Post
you were 12 at the time and 14 years later you can still wear the t-shirt on occasions? i hope it was big on you in the beginning or a bunch of us will want to know your secret on staying so slim all these years, jk.
The t-shirt is an XL. The weird thing is I was about 5'10'' when I was 12. I've only grown a few inches taller since then. Hit my growth spurt early, I guess.

And since it's now been brought up, I'm gonna wear that Gaunt shirt at Gas City on Friday.

1 member likes this post: randy j
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > sprint week newer oldie