IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Scheduling Conflict
6/22/12, 9:09 PM   #1
Scheduling Conflict
nowingsjeff

Race Count This Year: 5

I don't frequent this message board nearly as much as I used to, so this may have already been covered, however I didn't see it. But did anyone take notice that on the POWRi website they booked a race at Belle-Clair the same night as the final night (Oct 6) of the Gold Crown at Granite City?

How stupid is that? Don't they know that all they're doing is screwing midget racing over with decisions like this? I was planning on going to the Gold Crown, but if they're going to be playing ******** and split the fields I'll just stay home.

Why can't POWRi run Belle-Clair on Sunday after the Gold Crown? We'd stay another day for that.

This is B-U-L-L S-H-I-T !!!

6/22/12, 9:32 PM   #2
Re: Scheduling Conflict
Kansasdirtfan

Yes, it was mentioned a week or so ago, Jeff, but I certainly agree with you. You would think they would understand how scheduling a race opposite an event like the Gold Crown will hurt them more than help them, but they just don't get it. (And USAC is just as bad at scheduling conflicts...look at the Belleville Midget Nationals for example.) I sent an email to POWRi expressing my disappointment at their decision, but of course, have had no reply. I told them Belle-Claire was one of those tracks on my bucket list, but that I'll be at the Gold Crown all 3 nights.

6/22/12, 11:20 PM   #3
mortboyz

I've been asking this question around for the past couple o weeks, with no definite answer yet. Obviously I'm not finding the right folks to ask.
I intend to ask the right ones next weekend for some kinda explanation as to why this is happening. Personally, I can see it hurting both Saturday night shows, if there is still a points race with POWRi.
I agree.....does NOT make good sense to me either at this point.

4 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge, racefan20, ronmil
6/23/12, 11:26 AM   #4
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Well this just sucks. Screw Poweri for this. I may just boycott the rest of their races now.

6/23/12, 11:51 AM   #5
Smeents

I would like to step in and say that if you look back, POWRI has been running this race the first Saturday of October since at least 2008, with the exception of 2010 when it co-sanctioned the Gold Crown. Last year the Gold Crown moved to the second weekend and this year, it was the Gold Crown's decision to move the race up a week, not POWRI's decision to schedule on top of it. I'm by no means taking sides but the facts speak for themselves. Believe me, I'm not happy with the two races being scheduled against eachother within 25 miles of one another, but to blast POWRI isn't the answer either. I wish the two parties could work this out more than anyone as I love seeing a great car count and spectator support for my mom's race, but sometimes things just don't happen the way we all would like.

5 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, fish, jim goerge, Mud Packer, Vukie
6/23/12, 12:17 PM   #6
mortboyz

What's frustrating me is that earlier this year the POWRi schedule had the Meents Memorial on Fri-Sat. Oct. 12th and 13th. with Lucas on the Edge/Speed Channel.
USAC had the Gold Crown on their schedule as Thur-Sat Oct. 4,5 &6th.
Now POWRi scedule shows a one day show on Oct. 6th???
I don't get it.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, jim goerge, ronmil
6/23/12, 12:39 PM   #7
Smeents

Thanks, I forgot that the first POWRI schedule this year did show the Belleville race the following weekend. I'm not sure what happened with that because I know that I spoke with POWRI last October and we confirmed that this race would be the first weekend in October just like it had been in the past.

Like I said, I hate that there is a conflict so close to home and against my mom's memorial race. Hopefully things can get worked out - unfortunately ******** and racing don't mix well. I would love to be able to support both shows!

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirtnonwingfan
6/23/12, 1:12 PM   #8
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Sure hate to see this; guess I'll skip the last night of the Gold Crown and the POWRi at Belle-Clair and go to the sprint car race at Haubstadt.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
6/23/12, 1:27 PM   #9
opnwhlmnd

Don't let the Powri race scare you away from coming to the Gold Crown. It will not hurt the racing quality at all with no Powri cars there. I think only 2 or 3 of them made the a-main last year and there was only around 10 Powri cars there total. The field was 55 midgets so take 10-12 away and it's still a huge quality field.

The Gold Crown will still be the best midget features of the year you will see outside of Kokomo.

1 member likes this post: mowerman
6/23/12, 2:20 PM   #10
bloard

I think the POWRi race got moved forward to it's normal weekend after the initial schedule was out because they scheduled two POWRi West races on the 12th and 13th.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Scheduling Conflict