IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > QUIT butchering our National Anthem
5/27/08, 10:06 AM   #1
QUIT butchering our National Anthem
tjtomthumb

What does everyone thing of the person, I WILL NOT call her a lady, that I feel totally butchered our National Anthem before the Indianapolis 500 on national tv on Memorial Day weekend? If you can't sing it the way it was written many years ago, ESPECIALLY on a National Holiday honoring the fallen veterans of the US, then don't sing it, let someone that knows it do it. IRL, NASCAR, weekly tracks, ALL event organizers of any kind of event, lets at least keep our National Anthem intact as it originated. We've lost too much of the American Heritage now so lets not lose this also.

What do the rest of you think about this? As we know many of the sanctioning bodies, track promoters, etc read this board so all of you that agree with this please let them know we expect proper respect for our country and veterans.

This is a little rant I've had for years, even before the Rosanne Barr ordeal. Get the old song books out and read and sing the music like we used to learn how to do in grade school. :doh:

5/27/08, 10:12 AM   #2
Re: QUIT butchering our National Anthem
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

TJTT....And I also agree!!.....Enough very well said!!.......Brucer'

5/27/08, 10:42 AM   #3
Checker'd Past

I am in total agreement!!!!!!!!!!!

5/27/08, 11:00 AM   #4
SHORTBUS

Race Count This Year: 35
Race Count Last Year: 61

I Totally Agree

5/27/08, 11:09 AM   #5
midmad68

same here...these clebrities aren't exactly making a name for themselves by singing at one of these races, so stop trying to show off!!!

MJ

5/27/08, 11:27 AM   #6
LEADERS EDGE

I thought she sang it well and with passion. She wasn't pitchy and she didn't sing it using the entire scale.

Personally, I am glad that people sing it using different styles and influences. That is the true spirit of America. In many other countries when their anthem is performed; it is used as basically a military call to arms and for political control. Basically letting whatever regime that is in charge bask in their dominance and reign.

Here in America, we are allowed to sing it in any style that we choose. That is truely what we have fought for. The right to do and see things differently from each other without being punished for our differences. That is what makes me proud to be an American.

Of course, what goes along with it is the right to not like something and express the reasons why you didn't like it.

As far as the "Lady" goes. None of us here know anything about her, so how can we judge. To my knowledge, she is a young girl who is very accomplished at her disciplines and has never once used her success as an excuse for unruley behavior.

5/27/08, 11:45 AM   #7
Murray

:applaud: Tom.
It ticks me off quite a bit. Have a little compassion, at least on this weekend of all.
Oh, and I'm pretty sure that I don't fight for my country so that people can butcher my National Anthem.

5/27/08, 11:51 AM   #8
SHORTBUS

Race Count This Year: 35
Race Count Last Year: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
:applaud: Tom.
It ticks me off quite a bit. Have a little compassion, at least on this weekend of all.
Oh, and I'm pretty sure that I don't fight for my country so that people can butcher my National Anthem.
MURRY,
WE THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT YOU ARE DOING :applaud: :applaud:

5/27/08, 11:57 AM   #9
Offy22

The National Anthem should be treated as our nation's flag, with respect. The singer should never 'grandstand" the song.

5/27/08, 12:12 PM   #10
snoopy

I did not like her rendition, but I many times get the feeling that they improvise a little to time the flyover? Any opinion from someone musically inclinded?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > QUIT butchering our National Anthem