IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Crown car questions
4/12/12, 11:50 PM   #1
Crown car questions
fasster23

My buddy is lookin to buy a Crown car. We've been talking about the 4 coil cars vs coil front bar rear cars. I've seen TSR run 4/5 bar cars and Larson, Cockrum, Kaeding, among others run a coil front bar rear among others which makes me think it has a lot to do with driver preference. Without knowing what would be favorable for a driver what do you guys recommend. It appears that the 4 coil cars are the trend but it seems like some of the sprint guys run at least a bar rear. I would think that a coil front bar rear car would be more difficult to find a good balance. The car will be ran on the miles except for the possibility of THAT. Thanks

Posted via Mobile Device

4/13/12, 12:09 AM   #2
treecitytornado

4 coils would be great on the smooth miles, but look out if you get it on a rough track.

Posted via Mobile Device

4/13/12, 10:23 AM   #3
fasster23

That's a good point. Then I would assume that some teams have an Eldora/THAT car and a mile car.

Posted via Mobile Device

4/13/12, 12:44 PM   #4
Re: Crown car questions
TQ29m

Does the name, French Grimes come to mind? He explained the difference to me one time, that made sense, and I hadn't considered it, but it's all about "spring base", a bar car, has a lot longer springbase, than a coilover car, which for dirt, makes a much more controlled drive, now you can all be "rock chuckers", and poo poo this, but stop and think about it, with a 4 bar car, your springbase is a lot greater, longer, without changing the wheelbase, making it smoother, and less "bouncy" than a short "spring base" coilover car. Makes sense to me! Bob!

1 member likes this post: nailer
4/13/12, 3:38 PM   #5
fasster23

I've read that before and as mentioned earlier, a 4 coil car will probably be the ticket on the smooth surface tracks like the miles. What I'm curious of is the coil frt bar rear cars. When you're putting the power down on a rougher track like THAT it would be good to have a torsion rear but with a coil frt I think it could be more difficult to drive if you missed the setup due to having 2 different types of suspension on 1 car. Speaking in the sense of not having experience with the setup on these cars. I'm sure the longer wheelbase is more forgiving to a coil frt than a sprinter though. Thanks for the input.

Posted via Mobile Device

4/13/12, 3:52 PM   #6
treecitytornado

I've ran many coil front full Midgets and T.Q.s, but only one Sprint Car with a coil front and a sway bar and it would never do the same thing twice. Don't know if the car was tweaked or if the coil front/sway bar combination on a Sprinter is just that way. I know a few other guys that hated the same combo and love a 4 bar.

Posted via Mobile Device

4/13/12, 4:00 PM   #7
fasster23

That's exactly what I've been told. It's unpredictable. There's a couple guys here in KC with coil frt sway bar sprints and when they're right, they're money, but if you miss, hang on. I would guess that would be minimized by the longer wheelbase. My dilemma is that we can't afford 2 cars right now and I guess I'm trying to determine the lesser of the 2 evils. A coil frt minus sway bar with torsion rear is probably the best compromise for the 1/2's and the miles.

Posted via Mobile Device

4/13/12, 5:07 PM   #8
TQ29m

Careful, you're getting wheelbase, and springbase mixed up, a 4 bar car will have, in some cases, as much as 20 inches longer "springbase", with the same "wheelbase"! Bob!

4/13/12, 6:31 PM   #9
fasster23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Careful, you're getting wheelbase, and springbase mixed up, a 4 bar car will have, in some cases, as much as 20 inches longer "springbase", with the same "wheelbase"! Bob!
You're right. I should've worded it differently. I was thinking in terms of the car being more manageable to handle when it is hung out or upset with its length. I'm stating the obvious but they were built so perfect for the big tracks. With its size and grip you can really whistle em' down in the corners more than other cars, especially on the huge turns at the miles. Thanks

Posted via Mobile Device

4/14/12, 12:05 AM   #10
9racing

good point on the bar cars.. but whats left out is the pros of a coil/bar car.. the whole thing about the coil front such as a twister it drives harder off the corner, by reacting faster and transferring weight to the Leftrear to dig in.. distributes the power more evenly to both rear wheels, versus just using your right rear for all the drive.. the combo cars are extremely touchy, but when you get it right, it will be like driving papaws caddy after church on sunday morning.. seems now the 5bar is the thing to have, especially on a dry slick track.. which Indiana is forsure known for..

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Crown car questions