IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 1/24 Gary Fisher Evans #79 plastic model W.I.P.
2/26/12, 8:33 PM   #1
1/24 Gary Fisher Evans #79 plastic model W.I.P.
Joe@ScaleSprints

Finally getting this thing underway! Keeping it kinda simple being I havent built anything in like.......2 years.? Simple rear shock mount modification and borrowed the down tubes from another kit. Primer and Paint hopefully coming tomorrow night. Have to fabricate the right side arm guard, which is no big deal. Motor is mainly assembled and awaiting paint as well.

Anyway, watched Gary run at Kokomo Speedway many many times. Gary's son Derek was kind enough to send me the pics needed to do the decals for the car. Here we go!

Other decals pictured are Jeff Walkers car from the 91 season I beleive. Another project for a later date.

More to come as a progress. This build shouldnt be drug out to long since I have everything on hand to complete it. Thanks for looking.

2/26/12, 9:44 PM   #2
treecitytornado

I remember when he ran the Valvoline colors. My Dad and I got pics in victory lane at Bloomington with him for HARF.

Posted via Mobile Device

3/11/12, 5:40 PM   #3
Re: 1/24 Gary Fisher Evans #79 plastic model W.I.P
Joe@ScaleSprints

Slowly but surely making progress. Only have 1 more body panel to paint then I can start applying decals (my favorite part). Motor's pretty well done, nothing fancy at all, again just keeping this one simple. Hopefully have my Hoosier tire decals in the week, then I can start detailing the wheels.

5 members like this post: jim goerge, Jimmydiesel, Micro 11, Pat O'Connor Fan, randy j
3/12/12, 1:28 AM   #4
fish

What is the process for making decals?

1 member likes this post: apexonephoto
3/12/12, 11:24 AM   #5
kasey2020

Where can I get a kit like that to build my own sprint car? Would love to be able to do a custom one.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
3/12/12, 4:53 PM   #6
Joe@ScaleSprints

A local Hobby Shop may have the new Revell Steve Kinser Bass Pro Shops kit in stock. Then there's all kinds of online hobby shops and ebay. The newest Kinser kit is #85-4942. Right now there's a few places online making after market (resin & photoetch) parts. The hood in the pic is a resin piece from a company in Australia. The rest of the build is all from the kit, well the seat's from a nascar kit.

As far as decal making goes.....I use Adobe Illustrator for 97% of my decals. I have them printed from a company in PA with a special printer that prints white. One thing's for sure, you can't make decals without some good quality reference photos.

Feel free to check out us Plastic Hackers on ScaleSprints.com. Ive said it before and I'll still say it today. There are some WAY more skilled builders of these things out there. I build for myself so im not always as critical. Some of these guys go NUTS with accuracy on a 1/24 scale car.

Hope to start hanging the suspension tonight.

HTH

3 members like this post: apexonephoto, fish, Outlaw45
3/13/12, 3:50 PM   #7
Mach2

Great start Joe. Slow and easy, but you'll knock it out of the park.

3/19/12, 8:31 PM   #8
Joe@ScaleSprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
Great start Joe. Slow and easy, but you'll knock it out of the park.
Thanks Mickey!

We have progress!! Motor is in and now starting the decaling process. Got the right side arm guard fabbed up and the paint drying on it as I type. Also got the tires pretty much ready to go on the car. Hoosier logo's are my own. Getting some more detail painting done and some other small odds and ends. I think this is REALLY going to turn out well.

3/21/12, 7:59 PM   #9
Joe@ScaleSprints

Made lots of progress tonight!! Just a quick mock up shot. Have more detail painting to do then I have to do the rest of the left side of the car. Wheels and tires are just stuck on for the pic. Still some detail work to them as well.

Enjoy!

4 members like this post: erich45, Jimmydiesel, Pat O'Connor Fan, randy j
3/22/12, 7:52 PM   #10
Joe@ScaleSprints

Its DONE! Now I can stop bothering you guys with it LOL. Pretty happy with it and very happy to have it in the display case with the others!

6 members like this post: apexonephoto, Jimmydiesel, Micro 11, randy j, rmcar, Russ
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 1/24 Gary Fisher Evans #79 plastic model W.I.P.