IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Seriously, what do you do?
1/18/12, 3:18 PM   #1
Seriously, what do you do?
odie09

Seriously, what do you do? You want to race, you have a sprint roller sitting in the garage. All you have to do is drop a motor in and go racing. BUT! The funds just aren't there for a full race powerplant. You could afford a slightly modified engine with a carb and racing fuel, but do any tracks or groups offer that configuration? What kind of alternative is there, without letting the car sit?

1 member likes this post: Wayne Davis
1/18/12, 3:25 PM   #2
Re: Seriously, what do you do?
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by odie09 View Post
Seriously, what do you do? You want to race, you have a sprint roller sitting in the garage. All you have to do is drop a motor in and go racing. BUT! The funds just aren't there for a full race powerplant. You could afford a slightly modified engine with a carb and racing fuel, but do any tracks or groups offer that configuration? What kind of alternative is there, without letting the car sit?

the only problem is unless there are VERY STRICK rules a limited or even 305 motor is $20,000.00.....maybe a crate motor for $8,000.00 could be an answer...

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1/18/12, 3:26 PM   #3
kstudley57

Do just that, drop in whatever you can and go play! You'd be surprised to see what is under the hood of some cars.

Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: Dannypollock24, JordanBlanton, PIT CART
1/18/12, 4:29 PM   #4
McInturff Racing

I cannot remember who it was, but there was a sprint at Waynesfield that ran decently with the non wing 410's that had a carbureted crate engine in it. Drop the engine in, get some seat time and have fun until you can afford the bigger power plant. Rules address the maximum engine you can have in the car, there is no rule on the minimum you can run! Any racing is better than looking at a ready to go chassis and not racing at all.
Last edited by McInturff Racing; 1/18/12 at 4:31 PM.

2 members like this post: dusty tracks, Wayne Davis
1/18/12, 5:07 PM   #5
Tony74

If you don't have motor all ready, build or buy a big cubic inch motor. With lower rpm's and bigger torque, it will live longer...
If you don't run usac there is no engine rules in Indiana!!

1/18/12, 5:36 PM   #6
sprinter14

When I began racing, I bought a used 305 engine that was built to run Attica and Fremont. I ended up running at Lawreneburg on the 1/4 mile dozens of times and ran mid pack most of the time. When the track slicked off, I was right in the running. And I only paid $3,000 for that engine used!

2 members like this post: Dalton Dietrich, wvwildthg
1/18/12, 11:43 PM   #7
Bad Dad 54

I know of 1 sprint that raced w/ MTS that used their modified engine w/ a carb. Ran pretty well

1/19/12, 2:30 AM   #8
fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
I know of 1 sprint that raced w/ MTS that used their modified engine w/ a carb. Ran pretty well
I remember that car. It sounded like firecrackers going off when he got on the gas.

1/19/12, 7:35 AM   #9
gajbowden
Inactive Member

Awsr.com.au

1/19/12, 9:32 AM   #10
Bad Dad 54

Fish - I don't remember Jim having that problem, he usually ran quite well. Then again maybe at 1st he did but I can't remember - which is nothing new for me lately lol

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Seriously, what do you do?