IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Salem drops USAC Sprints
7/26/11, 9:21 PM   #1
Salem drops USAC Sprints
dkdorkboy

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 52

Saw on Tjslideways Salem dropped Usac from James O Conner memorial due to expected low car count.

7/26/11, 10:19 PM   #2
Re: Salem drops Usac sptints
Danny Burton

From USAC:

USAC SPRINTS REMOVED FROM SALEM’S “JAMES-O’CONNOR” CLASSIC

An expected low car count has led to removal of the USAC Pavement Sprints portion of the upcoming August 6 “Joe James/Pat O’Connor Classic” at the Salem (Ind.) Speedway.

We felt that the projected car count did not represent what we considered to be an event of the caliber that USAC wants to offer race fans and that has led to the decision by USAC and the race organizers to eliminate that portion of the August 6 program,” said USAC President/CEO Kevin Miller.

“We enjoy working with Salem track owner Owen Thompson and general manager Richard Deaton, but several circumstances have conspired to dictate this course of action. Unfortunately we are unable to offer a representative field of race cars we feel would maintain the rich tradition of this event and although we regret this announcement, we encourage race fans to support Salem Speedway and its plans for the August 6 racing program,” Miller continued.

“The USAC Pavement Sprint Cars will resume action August 18 at Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis and we anticipate a representative field of cars for that event. We look forward to the continued support of our race fans on August 18 and beyond.”

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/26/11, 10:20 PM   #3
Danny Burton

Compare the two responses--from Salem's website:

USAC SPRINTS SCRATCHED FROM JAMES/O’CONNOR
MEMORIAL DUE TO EXPECTED LOW CAR COUNT

Must See Racing Xtreme Sprint Series To Headline August 6th Classic
SALEM, IN, July 26 – Salem Speedway management announced today that the USAC National Pavement Sprint Car series has been removed from the event schedule for the upcoming Joe James/Pat O’Connor Memorial.

In making the announcement Salem Speedway general manager Richard Deaton said, “Due to the fact that we have been informed by USAC officials that a low car count is expected, possibly as few as six cars, it leaves us with no other option than to drop USAC from the event.”

The Joe James/Pat O’Connor Memorial, one of the most historic sprint races in the nation, will still take place on Saturday night, August 6th, with the Must See Racing Xtreme Sprint Series headlining the night of racing action.

“We look forward to moving forward with the Must See Racing Xtreme Sprint Series,” said Deaton. “We anticipate 20 to 25 of the top sprint car pavement teams in the country to be on hand for the 52nd annual classic.”

Such names as 2008 James/O’Connor winner Jacob Wilson, Aaron Pierce, JoJo Helberg, Jason Blonde, Jeff Bloom, Troy DeCaire, Jason Cox and Jimmy McCune are expected for the biggest night of open wheel racing of the season at Salem.

For tickets or more information call 812-883-6504 or toll free 1-888-246-7223

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
7/26/11, 10:27 PM   #4
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Since it is now just a Must See Series race, I wonder if the $23 ticket price will remain or if a discount will be offered.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

3 members like this post: jim goerge, SprintManDave
7/26/11, 10:38 PM   #5
Danny Burton

Mike, I'd keep an eye on either the Salem website or MustSeeRacing's site. I'd ask Mr. Argabright but am not sure if he has any say so in that area.

7/26/11, 11:35 PM   #6
High Banks

An adjusted ticket price will be announced on Wednesday. Check the Salem Speedway web site at www.salemspeedway.com or the Salem Speedway Facebook site for updates.

7/26/11, 11:36 PM   #7
short track scott

I can tell you the track is soley responsible for the ticket price.

With the WoO at Bloomington Friday night, it is a chance to get a belly full of wing racing, if that's what you're into...
Posted via Mobile Device

7/27/11, 12:36 AM   #8
johnnythunderhead

time for usac to run dirt sprints on asphalt/ or just drop the pavement sprints as it seems

7 members like this post: 767, Bruce Harrison, Gregg, old timer 38, smith19, speed bump, spicoli
7/27/11, 12:07 PM   #9
Danny Burton

Keep plugging away, Richard. Loving history as I do, I'd hate to see this race go away.

7/27/11, 1:31 PM   #10
Re: Salem drops USAC Sprints
Hubie

The track had to do this. There are not enough USAC pavement cars. If you remember on this very message board in anticipation of last years event, when discussing car counts, the numbers were really low and several here were making such comments as "were not going."

I had no problem with it (not going) as last year was the first JJ/PO race I had missed in over ten years.

The Xtreme Series has more cars, they may even have a field of twenty or so!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Salem drops USAC Sprints