IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Move To Indiana---Update and new question
7/22/11, 12:48 AM   #1
Move To Indiana---Update and new question
Dalton Dietrich

Race Count This Year: 55

Most of you have read, and been part of my discussion on moving to Indiana. After being present for the last 3 days of USAC Indiana Sprint Week, I am even more enthusiastic about moving out to Indiana in a year or so. Here is the dilemma, as I stated before I would most definitely need a job.

Here are my current choices "to-be":
1. Work locally, rent an apartmant/similar, and start getting together my own equipment to race.
2. Work for a team that pays, then continue same as above
3. Work for a traveling team, travel, gain trust and other neccesities involved in getting a ride, drive for that team

I am working on number 3. The first part anyway, talking to a USAC team about working for them. Where that path would take me from there would be up to the car owner themself and hasn't been remotely discussed.

My real question is, 2 of em actually, If I work locally, what would be some good things to look into? I'd prefer involved with racing, but If it didn't it would still be money in the bank (some anyway). What teams (if any) would pay to work on a local sprint car?

I am willing to work on a midget or sprint car, and would drive either, although I know driving a midget would mean USAC (or POWRi) and wouldn't be likely right away anyhow.

Sorry for any confusion if any, and I appreciate all help. If anyone has specific questions that they don't want to ask/answer here, you may PM me.

Thank You,

Dalton Dietrich

7/22/11, 6:13 AM   #2
LocalYokel

If by luck you happen to find your way in situation #3 where you are being groomed by a team to run their car in an upcoming season, that would be the best way to go by far. Unfortunately, that's a long shot. And its not that im saying one you may or may not be a great driver, but the fact is anymore that top of the line teams are few and far between. These established teams generally have their pick of the top drivers and want results immdietly.
The second option you listed would be the most realistic and the best situation, assuming you can find a team to work for that pays a decent wage. Being at the races and making connections with people is paramount when it comes to trying to male a career driving for a living. In this sport rides are few and far between. In alot of cases teams that can don't always hire driver exclusively on their accomplishments. Teams often hire drivers due to the fact that they know who you are and like you. Also, being around the races working for a establashed teams can lead to sponsorships or discounts.
If you're wanting to make a living as a racecar driver you have to be a familiar face in the racing community.
Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: Dalton Dietrich, fish
7/22/11, 10:59 AM   #3
Re: Move To Indiana---Update and new question
Dalton Dietrich

Thanks.

I know some of the choices I put are a bit out to lunch...but my main goal would be to drive again. That's why I am looking for feedback. I need something that will pay good enough to live off of, with just enough to spare for some racecar parts every month.

7/22/11, 10:49 PM   #4
Sickfan

Just curious, what kind of job are you thinking of getting if you can't work for a race team? I wish you well on your plans to come to Indiana, it is an amazing place for racing. I have to agree with Local, your odds for #3 are slim to none and even #2 won't really help you if your plans are to race your own equipment, since you would have to work most weekends. If I were you, I would work as hard as you can before you move out here, buy a small house/shop and hopefully find a decent paying job to get to the point where you can fund your own car. Good luck!

7/23/11, 12:02 AM   #5
Dalton Dietrich

In the racing field (dirt) but not a car would be ok...I am good with computers. Can weld. Fabrication. I would like to look into some chassis companies being a welder/fabricator

7/23/11, 1:43 AM   #6
LocalYokel

Lots of guys have made it work by getting a job in the racing industry and then putting together a car. Granted some were more sucessful than others but off the top of my head, Brad Kuhn, Brian Olsen, and a few others first got jobs in the racing industry and later put together cars.
Getting your name out their is very important. There's no easier way of getting to know people in the racing industry, than working for a team or a fabrication company.
Posted via Mobile Device

7/25/11, 11:44 AM   #7
Dalton Dietrich

I completely agree. If I had the room now, I would try and build a midget frame (only because we don't have nw sprints here) but sadly, we work on our current car out of the trailer in the driveway...

7/25/11, 11:57 AM   #8
TQ29m

I know of several "free lance" TIG welders here in the area, they are good enough at welding, and know how cars are constructed, they make a "living", welding for chassis builders after hrs, might take a look in that arena, doing something that not too many are good at, or are too busy to do during shop hrs. Bob

7/25/11, 3:04 PM   #9
Gene Franckowiak

Dalton,

Let's get real here for a moment. If you have no money, no working trade ,no racing equipment, no housing, no shop, you have every possible card stacked against you in racing.

If you want to move to Indiana, then you should do so but do not think becasue there is so much racing and so many car owners that you are going to catch a break.............Cinderella just doesn't exist anymore.

Car owners, of which I am one, are looking for experienced drivers to run up front or a young gun with significant financial backing (usually a rich mommy & daddy) to bring along. They'll take the young guy becasuse mommy and daddy pay all the bills and the owner turns his hobby into a profitbale business. I won't name the car owners but we all know who they are.

My advise to you, is to do what makes you happy. If moving to Indiana and trying to get a ride is what your dream is, follow your dream.

1 member likes this post: jjones776
7/27/11, 3:40 PM   #10
Dalton Dietrich

I appreciate the stern and forward reply gene, and the more I think about things the more I agree with what you are saying...now things are starting to go in the right direction for me locally, but my heart is 99% with non-wing sprint car racing. It's just unbelievably hard to choose between a dream come true (locally) or chasing a bigger dream (indiana)...

Although, that does give me an idea!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Move To Indiana---Update and new question