IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute fallen police officer fund?
7/13/11, 10:42 AM   #1
Terre Haute fallen police officer fund?
HARFprez

Race Count This Year: 3

I may be out of line for suggesting this, but if so, it won't be my first time. Would there be any interest from the fans, the drivers, and USAC to do some kind of "helmet passing" to raise funds for Terre Haute's fallen police officer Brent Long's family? My thought is that it would be a nice gesture for a contribution to come from the racing community that is there at THAT tonight enjoying our favorite sport. I don't need to remind most of the people that enjoy this site, that our Armed Forces, our Police Officers, & our Firefighters are our first line of defense in time of need. Maybe this could be a small show of respect from us to give a little back to them. jmho...bob.

7/13/11, 10:46 AM   #2
Re: Terre Haute fallen police officer fund?
SCOTT M

Great idea. All for it.

7/13/11, 11:36 AM   #3
Jerry Shaw

I agree, that's an excellent idea, Bob. Officer Brent Long was married with 2 children (10 and 11, I think). Also, it's been 28 years since Terre Haute has lost a police officer in the line of duty, so the city is stunned and saddened. Thousands turned out on 7th Street yesterday when a procession, including what seemed like a mile of police and other 1st response vehicles, transported Officer Long from Union Hospital to Mattox-Ryan Funeral Home. I think the family of Officer Brent Long and the City of Terre Haute will appreciate it when they find out how generous race fans are.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

2 members like this post: IndyBound, JEFFSTOY
7/13/11, 11:47 AM   #4
outlaw13
Inactive Member

This is Super Idea! As a police officer myself, I know that it will greatly appreciated by the family, department, city and county. I did not personally know Officer Long, however some of the guys I work with knew him. Everyone has nothing but great things to say about this fallen hero. Pass the helmet!

7/13/11, 11:49 AM   #5
racerdog45

are they pitting outside again? if so would be perfect time/place to set up a table with a collection jar. if not then I would see no reason why USAC or anyone else wouldn't want to pass the helmet.

7/13/11, 12:03 PM   #6
terrehautian

I wish I could afford to help today, but I think this is a great idea. I was thinking about (on Monday) how just a month ago my work did a story that TH hasn't lost one in that long of time and then this happened.

I did stop at the Police department yesterday where they have his car set up for people to put flowers and just pay respect. I took a few photos with my cell phone, but going back tonight, pending rain, with my big camera to get some good photos. After seeing how many people lined the route when his body was taken from the hospital to the funeral home, how many police cars, and all the fire fighters, it was simply amazing. The only other time I have seen this type of response was a few years ago when a soldier from this area was killed in action.

One more note, here is a page that my work set up for all his stories.

http://www.wthitv.com/generic/news/c...cer-Brent-Long

If you can watch the story with the sheriff talking about him and not almost tear up, something is wrong with you. I known the sheriff in town for years and never seen him like that.
Last edited by terrehautian; 7/13/11 at 12:12 PM.

7/13/11, 12:19 PM   #7
Panama

My wife and I already planned to send a contribution, if you are taking up donations tonight, we will look for you.

A table near the ticket booth would be a good location?

7/13/11, 12:21 PM   #8
SHORTBUS

Race Count This Year: 35
Race Count Last Year: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdog45 View Post
are they pitting outside again? if so would be perfect time/place to set up a table with a collection jar. if not then I would see no reason why USAC or anyone else wouldn't want to pass the helmet.
I highly doubt it with the fair going on.

7/13/11, 12:23 PM   #9
terrehautian

Wonder if they will be on the infield though? I know one of the racers said his merch trailer will be on the infield.

7/13/11, 2:49 PM   #10
crickets00

This is not out of line at all and actually a very good idea. A lot of people don't know this but Officer Long's wife is a 911 dispatcher and was working the radio the afternoon of the shooting. They do have 2 young children, an 11 year old daughter and a year old son. Officer Long's wife is my coworker in dispatch and you would never have met a better family. I know that she appreciates all of the donations and thoughts and prayers. Even if you can't donate, just say thank you to the officers and deputies working the fair tonight, or even the fire and ems personel. They are greiving as well, as most of us were in some way or another connected to Officer Long and his family. I don't really know who your contact would be to set up a place to donate, passing the helmet may be the best way to do it. I'm sure any of the law enforcement officials working the fair and race tonight would be happy to make sure the donation gets to the right place.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Terre Haute fallen police officer fund?