IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lburg Updates?
6/25/11, 10:51 PM   #11
Re: Lburg Updates?
cmcooper2

Way to go Daron. I hope you did some donuts afterwords. They are well deserved!!!!

1 member likes this post: Jimmydiesel
6/25/11, 11:08 PM   #12
DWX 9929

Very rare night that I didn't go. Suprised at 26 cars- but glad to see it. How was track condition?

6/25/11, 11:32 PM   #13
Gregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWX 9929 View Post
Very rare night that I didn't go. Suprised at 26 cars- but glad to see it. How was track condition?
A little dry but there was a cushion near the wall that held up.

I might add a note about the crowd and Deron Clayton. Among the crowd of "veterans" were some county fair attendees maybe seeing their first live race or first sprint and modified race. I know the man behind me with his family said this is the first visit to Lawrenceburg in several years, long before it went to 3/8 mile.

Clayton won convincingly with Bloom only having an outside shot of catching him. After the checker Clayton did a series of tight donuts and exited his car standing atop the roll cage on the front stretch. The crowd just ate it up. To cap it all off Clayton ended his victory interview by giving his trophy to Alexis. This is the little girl that pulled the number for him in the redraw. Once again the stands erupted in cheers. If an objective was to get new fans to the track I'd have to say Deron Clayton did his best to help achieve this.
Last edited by Gregg; 6/25/11 at 11:53 PM.

6/26/11, 12:08 AM   #14
Eric Thompson II

Glad to hear that
Posted using Mobile Device

6/26/11, 5:14 AM   #15
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

After deciding before the weekend that I was going to do the Sheldon Kinser and nothing else. At 5pm after already grilling out at home. I decided that last nights track at Bloomington had been such a dissapointment that I just needed a good night at the races.

I headed to the BURG! I really wasn't expecting much count Sprint Wise. But was supprised 26! 26 that put on a much better show than 44 the previous night at Bloomington.

*Note* No offense to the racers at Bloomington Friday night. The track just didn't hold up. The racers did what they could to put on a show and Windom had a well deserved win

The night started with a weird track, I had driven through rain friday almost half the way to bloomington and caught some coming home about two am Saturday. My guess is Rudy and Crew weren't able to do much Friday. Hotlaps were on a wide, dry hard track. Heats were mostly on the bottom but there was grip to be had up top Not many went for it.

After a track watering prior to consis I commented that it would go all up top afterward. This was true. I thought midget week was on the wall. This was the two foot wide cushion, about four inches high right along the wall night. Clayton hit it to perfection, Making the HAR Mean Green Machine look effortless. It did apear that way until Fischesser Spun mid straight on the backside. Clayton missed him by mere Millimeters and I don't know how he got between him and the wall???????????

After the green it was all MDC until the Red. I didn't see the start of it but Moffatt running third and very fast got bumped by a lapper changing lanes. Joss snap rolled about four times entering one. A few seconds later both Sudrette and Hupp Got into him punching him another hundred feet down the track. I was praying, Hupp was out of his car and in Joss' face before Joss had stopped. Flames erupted but quickly went out and Bobby and Co. were immediatly on the scene.

I know for certain both Joss' and Sudrettes cars are Junk, However both did their job. Joss is limping a bit. His eyes are a bit swollen but he was chatty and well, Just Joss in the pits afterward.

Bloom had a little something after the red but co69uld never quite reel in MDC. Until the red the battle for third was unreal. Hendrick, Joss, Bloom, Always Smooth Elson and Boespflug were in a battle royal.

Modifieds saw a clinic by crafty veteran John *WEASEL* Rhodes who starting tenth took a *ON THE TOP TRACK* and showed the boys what slide jobs were all about. He went from tenth to first in six laps!

Chuck Griffiths starting deep came to second and had a little somfin for Weasel but ran out of laps.

Another Great night *For most* and expecially for the fans at the Burg!

MDCs donuts 4 1/2 as evidenced by the little circles on the track brought the crowd to its feet multiple times. THAT WAS GREAT TO SEE and him giving the Trophy to the girl. *PRICELESS* :69:
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 6/26/11 at 5:20 AM.

6/26/11, 11:07 AM   #16
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Chuck & Gregg both summed up the action very well. I was also surprised by the sprint car count and they did a good job entertaining the large crowd this evening. I was glad to see quite a few young people in the stands watching the racing action. This is the future of racing.

As Chuck mentioned, quite a battle behind Clayton with Bloom, Hendrick, Moffat, Elson, Boespflug and Grant dicing it out. The big one happened right in front of us going into turn 1. Joss clipped the right front of a back marker and took a tough ride into the concrete retaining wall. He came off of the wall upside down and into the path of both Hupp and Sourdrette who had no where to go and no time to stop. Thankfully everyone walked away. The cars, not so much.

Also need to mention that Mr. Fishburger was AOE (Absent without excuse) and someone else was sitting on his perch. Must have been a first that the Mayor of Greendale wasn't presiding over Section A. Deputy Gregg filled in nicely and the mailman was socializing with numerous folks on the cell phone getting updates from around the racing world.

Glad to see a great crowd on hand, good car count, and especially fortunate to see some of the IOW folks as well though spread out around the track. Congrats to the Modern Day Cowboy and HAR for a well deserved victory. I also imagine that some of the boys are a little sore today and hoping they heal up quickly. Still waiting for one of the 50/50 girls to sell us that winner. We can't even get the right color ticket.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
6/26/11, 1:47 PM   #17
smith19

mudpacker, i did sec. "A" proud last week with the 50/50 winner. i did catch a little hell since my son drew the winner. lol
oh and the races were very good last night. mod feature was also great and was suprised to see 36 cars since florence was paying $1500. (47 cars)...
Last edited by smith19; 6/26/11 at 1:50 PM.

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
6/26/11, 3:39 PM   #18
cmiracingvids

I'd like to thank Lawrenceburg Speedway and their staff for providing my wife, daughter and myself with a GREAT day! First off, $8 to see a race is a good deal in itself, but throw in entrance to the fair AND free rides?!? My WIFE actually suggested we go earlier in the week...she NEVER is the one to say we should go to a race. My daughter is now 1 year old, and she was allowed to ride quite a few rides. The racing was great, and I actually enjoyed all the modified races. The first mod heat was really good, close finish. Hate to see Gindling flip, and Moffat's ride was very scary. Glad they're all ok. MDC looked great! Also, keep your eye on Keith Bloom. He's a very talented young driver, and he's gonna have some wins here shortly.

Anyways...THANK YOU Lawrenceburg. We ALL had a great time at (imo) Indiana's best race track facility.
Last edited by cmiracingvids; 6/26/11 at 3:40 PM.

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Kim Rudisell, Mud Packer
6/26/11, 10:57 PM   #19
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith19 View Post
mudpacker, i did sec. "A" proud last week with the 50/50 winner. i did catch a little hell since my son drew the winner. lol
oh and the races were very good last night. mod feature was also great and was suprised to see 36 cars since florence was paying $1500. (47 cars)...
Sounds like a fix to me!

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

6/27/11, 12:10 AM   #20
Dave Rudisell
Inactive Member

Thanks everyone, it was a great night of entertainment. The only downfall was some cars getting crashed up. Lots of shirts given out, over 300 to be exact. a small firework display and a great feature win celebration. The fair rides and entertainment was cool too!! Made alot of new racefans for sure!!
Thanks to everyone that was a part of it.
Dave

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Gregg, mowerman, Mud Packer
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lburg Updates?