IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Motor question
3/7/11, 7:58 PM   #1
Motor question
DGMJR71

What would it cost to have a mod motor converted to a sprint motor if I have my own injection system, and can I expect more power out of my motor? Thanks in advance for any help

3/8/11, 12:10 PM   #2
Re: Motor question
dant

Can't answer cost...but injectors,mag and drill and tap a cam for a spud to drive the fuel pump/power steering.as far as power goes ...maybe a little-but it will seem like a lot because you won't have aflexplate-trans-heavy driveshaft to slow the motor from reving

3/8/11, 11:06 PM   #3
Bad Dad 54

There is a car racing w/ the MTS (maybe more) that has a carburator on it. They just pulled motor out of the modified & installed it in a sprint car. If you run a rear pumps for fule & steering the cam will have to have drive spud installed or whatever it's called. Read the rules look at a few cars then price out your parts. Go to a catalog or a forum w/ parts for sale. Then allow a couple hundred bucks for misc items. I have a friend that went to swap meets w/ people getting started - he just looooooved spending other peoples money

3/14/11, 4:22 PM   #4
Josh

It really depends what you want to do. If you want to set it up like a full blown sprint motor, most are running dry-sump, driving the fuel pump and everything from the back of the block. I'd look into the track rules, but I'd imagine you could just drop that mod motor in. I don't know that it would be that competitive unless it was a pretty beastly mod motor though.

3/14/11, 8:30 PM   #5
tjcain58

My 360 sprintcar motor was pulled right out of my mod. I just tapped the cam slapped a injector on it and pulled the fan off the front. As far as power, you can slam your foot flat and not blow the tires off.
Posted via Mobile Device

3/14/11, 11:53 PM   #6
lovindirt

If your heads will flow more air and fuel then what the carb would allow then yes it will make more power on the injection unit. How much remains to be seen. The spud they are talking about, you can do it 2 ways with or with out cam drive, I've seen both. One way makes more power then the other because of belts and pulleys which will pull some power out to run them. Dollar wise you can watch this page and Hoseheads and probably pick up most of it cheap since their is alot of unsold parts, just post and ask, and don't jump fast; become a major jew. If you want to go racing.

3/15/11, 11:40 AM   #7
DGMJR71

Thanks for the replys so far everyone , just trying to get some things together for 2012

3/15/11, 10:12 PM   #8
jdperform

Glen Niebel ran a carburated silver crown car and it ran great. Ran a v-6 too for awhile. Won a lot of races in both SC and sprint in fact won the sc and usac sprint title same year Driver: Tony Stewart. If your on a limited budget put a mag in it, leave it carburated, put your money on new tires. And go have some fun!!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Motor question