IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Workin Woody
12/23/10, 12:34 AM   #1
Workin Woody
Bad Dad 54

Found on another site. The end of an era. Eric Malies has parked the official push truck of the WoO....Workin Woody. Eric was notified by the WoO officials that they are choosing to go a different direction and chose not to renew his contract for next season. As a result, Eric has decided to stay close to home in Florida and pursue other opportunities.

12/23/10, 2:18 AM   #2
Re: Workin Woody
Joe Whisler

Oh man, another tradition is over? I swear I must be getting old, because everytime I turn around I am saying I remember when...

I got the opportunity to meet Eric at the Nationals this year and he was cool enough to let me ride shotgun for the C, B, and A-Mains on Thursday night. I felt like a rock star as we cruised around pushing off cars and waving back to the crowd.

Eric was impressive at how quick to move he was, too. We were rolling several times before the yellow light came on. There was even a fire he put out before the safety crew had time to get there. Hard to say how much money he saved that car owner.

There are three things that always assured me I was at the right place: Steve Kinser, Johnny Gibson, and Work 'N Woody. I'm starting to get nervous. Damn, where's my Geritol?!?!

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
12/23/10, 7:47 AM   #3
cmakin

I'll share mine, Joe.

12/23/10, 7:59 AM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Well first off, Id like to thank Workin Woody, Eric and parents for their years of hard work. They did as much if not more off the track than on. Motor changes ect.

This is in no way a Workin Woody dislike post, However there were a few years I had a problem with the way it was being used. A couple years early nineties, It was the only vehicle allowed on the track during multi car minor accidents. It was also mentioned dozens of times during the event, Never mind the dozen other push truck and wrecker drivers busting their humps.

Yes, i literally saw a three car accident that Workin woody was the vehicle who went out and picked each one off the track, Not because the others wouldn't. Because they wouldn't let them.

Like I said, I have utmost respect for all the hard work and travel they've put into it. The possitives far outweigh the negatives as a fan.
Thank You.
Chuck

12/23/10, 8:34 AM   #5
Rpracing1

Thank you WOODY for your years of service to the sport. There was none better in your capacity.

12/23/10, 9:04 AM   #6
short track scott

Eric got parked just like Tony Veneziano the PR guy did.

World Racing Group is shuffling the cards to get another season of life out of it but I'd guess someone else will have the Series in '12.

Maybe they'll merge w USAC
Posted via Mobile Device

12/23/10, 12:38 PM   #7
jim goerge

I got to talk with Eric this year at Haubstadt and found him to be just as nice and friendly as his mom and dad Art and Carol Really good people WoW won"t be the same without Woody :2:

12/23/10, 1:35 PM   #8
Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whisler View Post
Oh man, another tradition is over? I swear I must be getting old, because everytime I turn around I am saying I remember when...

I got the opportunity to meet Eric at the Nationals this year and he was cool enough to let me ride shotgun for the C, B, and A-Mains on Thursday night. I felt like a rock star as we cruised around pushing off cars and waving back to the crowd.

Eric was impressive at how quick to move he was, too. We were rolling several times before the yellow light came on. There was even a fire he put out before the safety crew had time to get there. Hard to say how much money he saved that car owner.

There are three things that always assured me I was at the right place: Steve Kinser, Johnny Gibson, and Work 'N Woody. I'm starting to get nervous. Damn, where's my Geritol?!?!
I must be getting old too. I think I used to see Workin Woody at Baylands back in the Day, but can't remember if it was Baylands, San Jose Fairgrounds, all of the above????

12/23/10, 10:54 PM   #9
Gasman fan 50

Could they have started at West Capital Raceway 1978, in a regulator jeep around 1980 the custom built, then NARC, Baylands, then off with the WOO MID 1980'S.

Joe

1 member likes this post: AustinSprinter
12/23/10, 11:18 PM   #10
gary curry

I'll be damned!! Glad I got to meet him and get his picture last February in Las Vegas. Really nice guy! What's WoO gonna do next, make Steve Kinser stay home 'cause he's won too many championships!??

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Workin Woody