IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC RPM Story
10/25/10, 2:41 PM   #1
USAC RPM Story
Corinne Economaki

If you go to www.nationalspeedsportnews.com, under Featured on the left-hand side of the page (halfway down), you'll find Mike Kerchner's story on the USAC midget engines with quotes from Kevin Miller.

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge, SPRINTCAR
10/25/10, 3:13 PM   #2
Re: USAC RPM Story
Blackduce

I am sorry but they missed the boat again. This is the same group that created the new IRL. What is so new with it? I have friends on the board and this is not directed to them. But the answer is that you can not cheat is tire width. If you have a 14" tire you can put only so much horsepower to the ground. With a 12" tire you put less. And and a 10" tire even less. Why can't they see this. The engines will last longer with a narrow tire in the rear. Again to heck with compounds. But you can not cheat width of a tire. RPM's will be a device to cheat and you are back where you started. I thought we were trying to save them money. It's not going to happen in the IRL and it will not happen here.

Lynn

1 member likes this post: spankytoo
10/25/10, 4:08 PM   #3
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduce View Post
I am sorry but they missed the boat again. This is the same group that created the new IRL. What is so new with it? I have friends on the board and this is not directed to them. But the answer is that you can not cheat is tire width. If you have a 14" tire you can put only so much horsepower to the ground. With a 12" tire you put less. And and a 10" tire even less. Why can't they see this. The engines will last longer with a narrow tire in the rear. Again to heck with compounds. But you can not cheat width of a tire. RPM's will be a device to cheat and you are back where you started. I thought we were trying to save them money. It's not going to happen in the IRL and it will not happen here.

Lynn
Yeh, worked real good in the modified class! Bob

10/25/10, 4:57 PM   #4
ImissAscot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackduce View Post

Lynn
The most over looked and best part of the news is that the Esslinger EST that is mentioned in the story is only going to cost $18,000 turn key. It's a sealed motor that will be competitive and is already tuned to peak performance. Trying to tap into the computer to gain anything is just going to flat not work.

10/25/10, 9:14 PM   #5
dustbowl

Allow -12 headed midget engines 180 cubes, will run equal if not better than current midget engines.

10/25/10, 10:22 PM   #6
Bad Dad 54

I still say go w/ a hard RR Tire, this has been pretty succesful at Spartan Speedway. If it hard you can't get the power to the surface & they last longer. Areacer w/ MTS told me believed he got 13 races out of their RR. It was almost bald & told me that night was the last night for it. We have to make decision as racers, do we want to sell tires or do we want enough cars to put on a show?

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Tharey 4 ma mith pellin wurds, eye put tha K in Kwality huh.

10/25/10, 10:30 PM   #7
ImissAscot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
I still say go w/ a hard RR Tire, this has been pretty succesful at Spartan Speedway. If it hard you can't get the power to the surface & they last longer. Areacer w/ MTS told me believed he got 13 races out of their RR. It was almost bald & told me that night was the last night for it. We have to make decision as racers, do we want to sell tires or do we want enough cars to put on a show?

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Tharey 4 ma mith pellin wurds, eye put tha K in Kwality huh.
Do you really want to spend 30-40K on a motor to run a hard RR or spend under 20K and save a lot more money to win the same amount of races?

10/26/10, 1:51 AM   #8
9racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissAscot View Post
The most over looked and best part of the news is that the Esslinger EST that is mentioned in the story is only going to cost $18,000 turn key. It's a sealed motor that will be competitive and is already tuned to peak performance. Trying to tap into the computer to gain anything is just going to flat not work.
True, However.. If you already have a motor, or 2 or 3.. do you want to go spend another 18k for a 4th? sounds like to me they need to do something to the tune of Lynns tire rule for now.. and spend the next year or two on R&D and come up with a package that can "cater" to.. I would say all, but as we ALL know that cant happen.. so "cater" to the Majority.. To be honest if it were me, My research would be with the "average" joe for the majority of things.. as we all know big spenders will always be willing to spend.. and even some points from low buck teams.. You gain NOTHING catering to the big spenders.. my .02 cents

10/26/10, 4:17 AM   #9
ImissAscot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9racing View Post
True, However.. If you already have a motor, or 2 or 3.. do you want to go spend another 18k for a 4th? sounds like to me they need to do something to the tune of Lynns tire rule for now.. and spend the next year or two on R&D and come up with a package that can "cater" to.. I would say all, but as we ALL know that cant happen.. so "cater" to the Majority.. To be honest if it were me, My research would be with the "average" joe for the majority of things.. as we all know big spenders will always be willing to spend.. and even some points from low buck teams.. You gain NOTHING catering to the big spenders.. my .02 cents
I think the point is to try and increase car count's by Esslinger making a incredible motor for the Micro/Mini Sprint or TQ guy to go up the ladder and be able to afford to run a full-size midget in a competitive manner against some of the bigger funded team's. All the high dollar motors are by no means obsolete they are just going to be on the level now and the RPM limits didn't drop much HP on the dyno on any engine.

10/26/10, 4:58 AM   #10
9racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissAscot View Post
I think the point is to try and increase car count's by Esslinger making a incredible motor for the Micro/Mini Sprint or TQ guy to go up the ladder and be able to afford to run a full-size midget in a competitive manner against some of the bigger funded team's. All the high dollar motors are by no means obsolete they are just going to be on the level now and the RPM limits didn't drop much HP on the dyno on any engine.
ahh, i see what what your getting at..

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC RPM Story