IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Want to see Don Smith's car collection..
9/29/10, 4:18 PM   #1
Want to see Don Smith's car collection..
terrehautian

While at the grocery store, noticed a flyer to see Don Smith's car collection. Here is the information.

When: Oct. 16th from 10am to 4pm
Costs: 10 dollars for adults and 5 for children 5 and under
Benefits: Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Indiana State University.
Where: Don Smiths property on Harlan Road in Southern Vigo County. (for gps enter this address 6634 E. Harlan Dr. Terre Haute, in)

Drinks will be available for purchase there.

I don't have my pictures uploaded on photobucket from my previous trip there, but if you haven't been there, there is five barns of cars and stuff. Cars like old race cars to old cars. Also there is one barn that is full of 70's Lincoln's and Cadillac's. There is also newer cars like Camaro's and Firebirds with no miles on them (less then 3k) and the paper plates still on them from the purchase. He also has a Boss Hoss motorcycle (Corvette engine on it). It is well worth the 10 dollars to see this as it doesn't open up much at all.

Some of Charles' pictures
Last edited by terrehautian; 9/29/10 at 4:24 PM.

2 members like this post: buck2, jim goerge
9/29/10, 4:23 PM   #2
Re: Want to see Don Smith's car collection..
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Theres your chance, I don't expect there will be many more public ones. Plenty of advanced notice too!

If there wasn't a car on the property and just the artwork and memorabilia, it would still be worth it. Look for the crows on the paintings, Its the painters niche.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 9/29/10 at 4:24 PM.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
9/29/10, 4:25 PM   #3
terrehautian

BTW, this isn't one of those, you walk in and there is ropes to stop you from getting near the cars...most of the cars are there for you to just look into close up! When I get home tonight, I will upload a few more pictures from my last trip.

Also, normally Don Smith himself is usually there to talk with about the cars.....and his property is awesome when the leaf's are turning colors.
Last edited by terrehautian; 9/29/10 at 4:29 PM.

2 members like this post: buck2, jim goerge
9/29/10, 4:30 PM   #4
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Still the best overall collection of Pics I've seen, I couldn't get a good shot of anything its so packed.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=163095

1 member likes this post: Red Hat
9/29/10, 5:40 PM   #5
ThrowbackRacingTeam

why not open it on oct.9th when everyones actually going to be in terre haute for the silver crown race? would sure like to see it but it's never open on race weekends.

9/29/10, 11:55 PM   #6
Bad Dad 54

Enjoyed the photos. The yellow No#6 car looks like the Stapp Car Pancho Carter drove for the USAC Championship back in 74. I helped my friend Ed Norton restore that car. Ed also did a Jet Rod Roadster like the one pictured. :2:

9/30/10, 12:09 AM   #7
terrehautian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowbackRacingTeam View Post
why not open it on oct.9th when everyones actually going to be in terre haute for the silver crown race? would sure like to see it but it's never open on race weekends.
Here is my guess....this was probably organized by the profiting organization. They are probably not race fans, but know race and car fans will pay to see the collection. They are just now circulating the flyers and two weeks might not be enough time to get the word out to everyone.

My suggestion if anyone does come, is to come early and go to the 500 musuem of wheels in downtown TH. It has more of Don's cars, it is five dollars to get in there, they head out to his other cars.

10/9/10, 9:38 AM   #8
Static

I believe I visited the first year; it was open and it was a race weekend. This weekend would have been nice, though.

10/10/10, 8:52 AM   #9
brc

terrehautian,

thanks for posting this! I Mapquested the address you provided and printed out. Going to bike over there next Sat.
Looking forward to seeing some cool memorabilia.

Take Care,
BC

10/16/10, 9:36 AM   #10
D.O.

bump for the day

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Want to see Don Smith's car collection..