IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Pit Passes & Why You Should be Concerned
9/28/10, 4:33 PM   #1
Pit Passes & Why You Should be Concerned
DonMoore10

Pit Passes
Entry Fees
Exclusive Tire Deals
Dedicated Pavement Cars
$40,000+ Midget Engines
Xtra Cubes Awarded To Certain Engine Manufacturers
Titanium Engine & Race Parts
Drivers/Owners Paying Promoters To Entertain

What do all of the above have in common? These are issues that the racing community, especially midget racing, is currently experiencing. These issues didn't just appear all over the country overnight. They started somewhere in the United States at some point in time and have grown out of control. Someone came up with an idea and it was allowed to happen, grow and explode into a major cancer on the racing community. Someone started it and it grew and it grew and it grew till it was out of control. In the arbor world we have the Emerald Ash Borer that, for example, started in one county in Ohio and has now invaded all 88 counties and is destroying every Ash tree in its path. In the racing world the above list of items is doing much the same thing across America.

Now we have a new kid on the block. The "double pit pass" charge, or is it the triple pit pass charge or even quadruple. For those that aren't familiar with this practice it's not new. It's been practiced here and there in the past. This is the act of promoters reaching in your pocket at the back gate, specifically drivers and owners. If you are racing in two classes, they want double pit pass money. Three classes, triple money and so on. Where this practice first got started, I have no idea... maybe at a promoters convention where they possibly trade ideas on how to squeeze every dime out the racers. This practice is currently not wide spread but could take off soon. In fact, I mentioned this practice in a recent conversation with a promoter and his reaction? "Don't give me ideas." Take what he said seriously, people.

In another IOW thread, two fans asked me why was I involved in speaking out against this practice. Every racer in America should be outraged at this practice. Will this practice spread across the U. S.? I hope not. The only way a practice such as this is going to be shot down is if the racers don't allow it. Whatever it takes to not let it happen including refusing to race at tracks that endorse this practice.

2 members like this post: darnall, Indy1808
9/28/10, 6:53 PM   #2
Re: Pit Passes & Why You Should be Concerned
PAW

2 members like this post: mowerman, terrehautian
9/28/10, 9:40 PM   #3
mortboyz

The Nostradamus of all things auto racing......

Thanks Don.

9/28/10, 9:50 PM   #4
LocalYokel

You certainly can't argue some of the points Don makes about the sky rocketing costs. However without the back gate, most race tracks would go out of business. Unfortunately if you want to race, its a necessary evil...

9/28/10, 10:32 PM   #5
short track scott

I think Don's point is that if the cost of the pit pass is to grant admission to the pits, help pay emergency services costs, officiating,and most importantly insurance, why should that entire fee be doubled if a driver wants to race a second division? In theory if I work on a second, or third car throughout the evening I would have to pay a second or third "pit pass"? It sounds like a second pit pass equates to an entry fee. If it is then just call it that! Make it the amount to cover the officiating, since everything else listed is a per person fee, and let the driver support your show!
Posted via Mobile Device
Last edited by short track scott; 9/28/10 at 10:35 PM.

9/28/10, 10:54 PM   #6
Nut'n but Dirt

Don is right from the point that not every driver and/or team owner has a lot of money to race. And, most of us don't do this for the money, God knows! We do it for the love of the sport, but sometimes racing expenses get out of hand. That's why you see lower car counts right now at the end of year, people have run out of money. By the time a team owner goes through the gate, we've already spent money on new tires, fuel to get there and to pay pit passes. Most times we come out of the gate without making money. I'm not here to *****, and I know promoters and tracks need to make money too, but should not always be at the expense of the racers and team owners.

I'm glad that Granite City did the right thing for this weekend.

Thanks, and let's go racing!

9/28/10, 10:55 PM   #7
Jonr

So to use your logic, on only having to pay once. It would make sense that the promoter would only have to pay once. After all, it is only one driver.

When I was in Texas, it was common to have drivers in mulitple classes, and the driver had to pay a pit pass per car that he entered. It was known and accepted.

I think that this horse is pretty dead. BTW How many promoters leave the sport after three years. I think I read that it was over 50%. I guess that they were making too much money to continue.

2 members like this post: mowerman, racerfanx2
9/28/10, 10:55 PM   #8
racefan20

Don even I must admit that some of the points at the top of your post have some merit. But as usual you over dramatize the issue to the point that you are not taken seriously by most IOW'ers. In fact I am not sure what you are doing wasting your time constantly pounding this issue on this board. Maybe instead you could do something useful like find a solution to the problems you think exist. Network with other owners and try to put an end to these practices but please save us the constant posts complaining about an issue that you could actually do something about.
As for the double pit pass issue. Do you own more cars at home than you have drivers for them? I do and I pay insurance on EACH of the cars even though I dont have enough drivers to drive them all at once. Why should I pay insurance on 3 cars when my family can only possibly drive only 2 at once? Is that fair? I dont think so but there isnt much I can do about it, either I pay it or go without and then cant get a licence plate. The same principle somewhat applies here. You enter 2 cars and you need to pay the insurance on each not on just the one driver. Call it an entry fee, pit pass, whatever you want its still the same deal.
So Don if I have managed to get under your skin again, tough noogies, people like you who only want to complain and never take any action put me to

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus
Last edited by racefan20; 9/28/10 at 10:57 PM.

1 member likes this post: racerfanx2
9/29/10, 6:59 AM   #9
short track scott

If a pit pass equals an entry fee you are right guys. Pay it per entry. But you aren't insuring each car (seriously?), just the driver.

The crux of my point was that if the line item costs covered by a pit pass are like this: Admission $12, Insurance $8, scoring $5 for a $25 pit pass the admission and insurance don't have to be paid a second time. You're in, and you're insured. You can't double insure yourself!

I'm not going to spend any more time on it because it is essentially arguing semantics. If it feels right to pay it, pay it no matter what it is called.
Posted via Mobile Device

9/29/10, 7:50 AM   #10
openwheelKT

Race Count Last Year: 73

I usually leave Don's posts alone because I am numb to them, but...

I too don't understand why there has to be post after post complaining about everything under the sun. I still fail to understand why Don owns race cars with everything that is wrong with racing. I know you are doing us fans a big favor by being an owner. That is how you come across most times. I know, we just buy tickets and beer according to you. I do that 50-60 times a year. Last time I checked that costs money. Does it cost the same to run a car? Of course it doesn't....not even close. Just remember: If there is no fan, there is no owner. So we do our part as well.

I appreciate that you care about the issues....I really do. An owner shouldn't just roll over and take whatever is given. However, just ******** on a message board isn't really doing much... You need to find a different way. I don't see other owners on here complaining. I'm sure they have some of the same concerns you do. Isn't there a way to talk with them instead of just getting on a message board and complaining? Band together? Not saying it can be done. Just saying the posting of complaint after complaint isn't doing anything. There has to be something else that can be done...

As for the subject: Double pit pass fees are wrong. If I pay to get in the pits, then I am in the pits. I can't be in the pits twice. If the fee is an entry fee, that is different.....
Last edited by openwheelKT; 9/29/10 at 7:52 AM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Pit Passes & Why You Should be Concerned