IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Blind Man
9/1/10, 1:02 PM   #1
Blind Man
Bad Dad 54

Yesterday I was sitting in the waiting room & I saw this blind man walking through. Nobody tried to help him, I asked him I could help him find a seat. He said no he could find one, then asked if I was a tax payer. I said yes then he told me he was a veteran & wanted to thank me for paying for his lessons to deal w/ his blindness. I told him if he was a veteran I would like to thank him. The old mans face lit up w/ a smile, we shook hands & he said your welcome. Not racing related but it made me feel good, hope it did you too.

9/1/10, 2:21 PM   #2
Re: Blind Man
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face today. Stories like these are the ones we need more often on here. We all need to be thankful for what we have. If you think you have it bad, visit a childrens hospital someday and let me know how bad you have it then.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

3 members like this post: IndyBound, PJ Wright, SprintManDave
9/1/10, 6:55 PM   #3
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
Yesterday I was sitting in the waiting room & I saw this blind man walking through. Nobody tried to help him.
It sounds like perhaps there was more than just one blind person in that waiting room.

Good for you for stepping up to help him.

9/1/10, 7:11 PM   #4
Bad Dad 54

Mud Packer, yes I've been to a childrens hospital, U of M Ann Arbor. Hugh wings to that place. Only one child in the whole wing could walk. He'd fallen while hunting muscrat & shot his jaw completely off. What was worse was while my wife was re-cooperating from a cancer surgery transplant I went for a walk w/ a friend. We saw some doors that said sterile area, do not enter. So I peeked through the window, what I saw horified me. It was people w/ terminal cancer, skin hanging on bones like the Holocaust Victims. I still see that vision & I thank God for what I have.

2 members like this post: Blackduce, IndyBound
9/1/10, 8:10 PM   #5
TQ29m

I too, have been in a childrens ward, at Riley Hospital in Indy, back in the mid 60's, my wife was there for treatment of cancer, we were there off and on for a couple of years, and there is no way to describe how it makes you feel, there you are with your problems, but they pale in respect to the problems of those children, and their parents, you don't expect things like that, to happen to someone so young, but there they are, and it takes your mind off your small problem, lucky are those who never have to see, or experience it., but I feel it makes you a stronger person, when you know how lucky you really are. Thanks to all the Vet's, and the continued research of the cure for cancer. Bob

9/1/10, 8:23 PM   #6
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
Mud Packer, yes I've been to a childrens hospital, U of M Ann Arbor. Hugh wings to that place. Only one child in the whole wing could walk. He'd fallen while hunting muscrat & shot his jaw completely off. What was worse was while my wife was re-cooperating from a cancer surgery transplant I went for a walk w/ a friend. We saw some doors that said sterile area, do not enter. So I peeked through the window, what I saw horified me. It was people w/ terminal cancer, skin hanging on bones like the Holocaust Victims. I still see that vision & I thank God for what I have.
My grandson Andrew was treated at the Mott Childrens Hospital (U of M) in Ann Arbor. I have a new found respect for the staff of doctors, nurses and technicans that perform their duties daily. I am proud to say that he is a survivor and we have the Mott for one to thank for that. We are extremely thankful for what we have. Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Blind Man