IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Belleville,ILL shutting down??
8/14/10, 1:32 AM   #1
Belleville,ILL shutting down??
21sprint

They as in drivers and fans on stlracing.com was told tonight that they are racing 2 more nights and the season is over. The place has been losing money bigtime and wanting someone to take over or it might be over for good.

I read it wrong as it says they are taking off next week and 2 weeks from tonight will be the last show in 2010.
Last edited by 21sprint; 8/14/10 at 2:09 AM.

8/14/10, 8:54 AM   #2
Re: Belleville,ILL shutting down??
skids59

Wonder who, if anyone will pick up the POWERi race scheduled there for October 9th.

8/14/10, 9:16 AM   #3
IndyBound

Unfortunately race tracks all across the country are struggling to keep the doors open. Many weekly race tracks are cutting down on there yearly schedules and running special shows only hoping to attract larger car counts and put more fans in the stands for special events.

Yesterday I started a thread about the Orlando Speed World in Orlando, Florida, owner Robert Hart realizes selling his facility will not be an easy task. Most short track owners across the country are not getting rich off of owning their speedway, many of them do so because like so many of us they have a great love for the sport of auto racing.

Track owners are faced with paying a mortgage if they have one on their property, property taxes, staff and or track employee wages, cost of food for concession stands, cost of items to stock a novelty stand and utilities for the facility as well as the purse to the racers before they can even think of turning a profit. Most areas of the country have a short racing season and those owners know exactly what the bottom line is to keeping the doors open. IMO that is why we are seeing more and more tracks cancelling earlier and earlier at the first chance of inclement weather, even excessive heat. It is less costly to them to loose a race than run and only have a few hundred people show up.

You all know my first racing experiences took place at Oswego Spedway in Oswego, N. Y. and then Manzanita Speedway in Phoenix, Az. became my home track, Watching how fast Manzaita when away taught me a whole new appreciation for the race tracks around the country and also taught me how fast a race track can be gone.

Oswego could be the next race track you see a post like this that they are closing, actually it could be any race track out there. While I don't want to start rumors about Oswego I do know one of the owners wants out in the worse way. How many people do you think there are waiting in line to buy a race track? I am guessing not too many!

I hope Belleville, Orlando Speed World and Oswego all remain speedways and can ride out the economy we are in right now because one thing is for certain, once a race track is lost there usually isn't a new one to replace it.

Support your favorite track as much as you can!

Patti
Last edited by IndyBound; 8/14/10 at 11:45 AM.

8/14/10, 9:36 AM   #4
PJ Wright

Good post Patti. Of course some people 'think' (I use that word loosely as I don't believe any actual brain activity takes place) that being a promoter is a money-making piece of cake.

1 member likes this post: IndyBound
8/14/10, 9:44 AM   #5
Andrew S. Quinn

Thats not good news to read. Its my favorite track for watching midgets. Never been to a weekly race there.

8/14/10, 10:15 AM   #6
illiNOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids59 View Post
Wonder who, if anyone will pick up the POWERi race scheduled there for October 9th.
I don't think the decision to cut the weekly deal should affect the October POWRi race. Doesn't POWRi lease the track for their shows?

1 member likes this post: skids59
8/14/10, 10:16 AM   #7
bandres21

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 46

i think powri self promotes the races at belleclair

1 member likes this post: skids59
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Belleville,ILL shutting down??