IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What is YOUR most memorable finish?
5/21/10, 12:22 AM   #1
What is YOUR most memorable finish?
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

What is one finish of a race that just left you sitting there saying "Holy S&*t what did I just witness??"

5/21/10, 1:51 AM   #2
Re: What is YOUR most memorable finish?
wolfracer69

this year at put shane hollingsworth and casey shuman hooked together coming out of 4 to the chekered flag

5/21/10, 7:53 AM   #3
410racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfracer69 View Post
this year at put shane hollingsworth and casey shuman hooked together coming out of 4 to the chekered flag
I was there for that one and would have to agree

5/21/10, 8:11 AM   #4
ByronMack

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfracer69 View Post
I'd have to agree with you there. The only way it would've been any better was if Dickie had goten up there and got into the mix.
Posted via Mobile Device

5/21/10, 9:55 AM   #5
richie

At a Silver Crown race at IRP in 1996, Mike Bliss coming out of nowhere on the last lap to catch Kenny Irwin out of turn four, hitting each other and locking wheels. In a cloud of smoke, Mike Bliss had won by an inch or two.

In 2006 during a sprint car race at IRP in which Eric Gordon had dominated before the last caution with two laps to go, Bobby Santos was lined up behind Gordon and they battled to turn four on the last lap when both got together, spun and hit the inside wall while crossing the finish line. Santos rolled backwards across the finish line before Gordon did for the win.

One of those years, maybe 1995, at Winchester, Jason McCord coming out or turn four for his first USAC Sprint series win, got touched from behind and ended up barrel-rolling down the front straightaway in a horrible looking wreck. I think he got fourth place while upside down.

In the 2006 Indy 500, Marco Andretti had about a 15-car length lead on Sam Hornish on the last lap. It looked like Marco took too low of a line in turn 3 which scrubbed off a bunch of speed. Hornish had caught him by turn four and beat him in a drag race down the front stretch to the finish line.

That's weird that I could only think of pavement races. Oh well.

5/21/10, 10:14 AM   #6
miledirt

Richie Tobias at DuQuoin under the lights... amazing race, amazing run by him up around the wall all night

JJ Yeley went from third to first in the last two laps, taking first coming out of three on the last lap at IRP in a Silver Crown race about six, seven years ago

5/21/10, 10:19 AM   #7
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

1)2009 Indiana Sprintweek show at Kamp. I still am not sure that I really saw this.

2)Bob Darland Memorial race in which Dave Darland won after Jon Stanbrough got caught up with a lapped car and flipped. A special moment.

3)2009 Sheldon Kinser Memorial race at Bloomington. Kenny Niflis performs some magic in coming through the B main and starting in the back to win the feature event.

4)2009 KISS race at Paragon. Jon Stanbrough coming from 16th starting position to take the victory.

5)Tobias memorable run at DuQuoin in the Silver Crown race.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
Last edited by Mud Packer; 5/21/10 at 10:20 AM.

5/21/10, 10:24 AM   #8
itsanonwingthing

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 51

One off the top of my head......

USAC Sprints @ Lawrenceburg Speedway, the Robbie Stanley Classic on August 31, 1996, Mark Cassella in Steve Stapps #4u nips Dave Darland (Hoffman #69) at the line. Dave thought he won the race and was headed to the frontstretch to stop and receive his trophy, when the USAC official waved him by and pointed to Cassella, who also had thought he won the race. It was a close one for sure.

5/21/10, 10:26 AM   #9
Wrench Turner

The '96 Bliss and Erwin race was a really awesome. I forgot all about that till it was just mentioned. I had real good seats at that show. Hollingsworth and Shuman was another real good one this year. A few weeks ago where Stanbrough jumped into the front on the last lap at Bloomington from third place was another really good show.

One of the craziest one's that I rememeber was at THAT. Don't remember the year, but Bill Rose was on the last lap and going for his first USAC win. Steve Butler tried to pull a slide job on him and slid his RR into Rose's LR, causing him to flip out of the park if I remember correctly. People were REALLY mad about that one. Jack Hewitt had to get Butler out of there before a mob attacked him if I remember right. They had a big article in Open Wheel about it that next month.

5/21/10, 12:01 PM   #10
SPRINTCAR

Me, winning my first heat race

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What is YOUR most memorable finish?