IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora observations
5/13/10, 1:55 AM   #1
Eldora observations
cowboyhar69

1. 1st time in years that the track crew had to scrape the mud off the wall 3 times in one night. The track was very smooth and the past few days of rain really helped.....I'm no track prep expert, but hopefully they learned that Eldora needs a lot of water and prep a few days before a race.

2. Hats off to the effort Tony, the track crew, and officials made to get the race in. If this had been just another race I think they might have canceled by mid afternoon. Even though they got a late start I was in my car at 10:30 after the sprint feature. They still had the modified feature to run.

3. Great feature race. I was sitting towards turn 1 and from my vantage point (maybe I am wrong) it just looked to me like two good racers going for the win. Hats off to Robert Ballou and Bryan Clauson...they both wanted that win.

4. I only saw a couple of familar faces in the stands and heard a few comments like "I've never been here before"..."Man that was exciting"..."This is great" and several people jumping up when someone made a good move on the track. I think the plan of having Tony do the autograph session and race the modified might have just worked. I really think that maybe (just maybe) some new sprint car fans were born...and they will attend another sprint car race at Eldora or another track. Sometimes you have to cut a deal to people ($10 ticket and Tony racing) to get some new customers.

5. I could actually hear the times announced during time trials...Something was definiately improved with the PA system.

6. Once again the rule change of having to finish in the transfer in your heat to get your time back made a difference in the lineup for the feature.

7. Finally...thanks to the effort made tonight. I was on here ******** like everyone else after the canceled weekend opener. Seems to me like they got the message and made a great effort to try to right things with the fans.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

5 members like this post: Bruce Harrison, JCC, Jimmydiesel, PJ Wright, speed bump
5/13/10, 6:55 AM   #2
Re: Eldora observations
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Tim, glad to see someone post some positive experiences.

How was the grandstands?

5/13/10, 7:24 AM   #3
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexonephoto View Post
Tim, glad to see someone post some positive experiences.

How was the grandstands?
I will also say ditto to what Tim mentioned. A good night of racing and the track was as good as I have seen Eldora in quite some time. As I mentioned in another post, they had a decent crowd for a week night and the less than ideal weather.

One added note to what Tim already posted. Tony drove the wheels off of the modified and came home the winner. The modified feature started off rather shakey with two wrecks before they could even get a lap down. The third time was the charm and they showed the crowd, most of which stayed, that they can also put on a good show.

From the winners stage, Tony thanked everyone for coming and apologized for the previous cancellation that the fans encountered. Last night proved that with the right combination, Eldora can be fast and smooth with little or no dust. I hope they learned something that they can use for future events here.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

5/13/10, 7:59 AM   #4
cmakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
I will also say ditto to what Tim mentioned. A good night of racing and the track was as good as I have seen Eldora in quite some time. As I mentioned in another post, they had a decent crowd for a week night and the less than ideal weather.

One added note to what Tim already posted. Tony drove the wheels off of the modified and came home the winner. The modified feature started off rather shakey with two wrecks before they could even get a lap down. The third time was the charm and they showed the crowd, most of which stayed, that they can also put on a good show.

From the winners stage, Tony thanked everyone for coming and apologized for the previous cancellation that the fans encountered. Last night proved that with the right combination, Eldora can be fast and smooth with little or no dust. I hope they learned something that they can use for future events here.

While my preference is "traditional" sprint cars, I have to say that the modifieds that run these days with the four link rears can put on one fantastic show, too. Good thing for me down here since other than a few winged shows (and the first Sprint Bandit event this year), that is our top class. I also have to say that the USMTS does an absolutely great job with their rules package and touring series. I would love to see them expand outside of their central midwest, Iowa/Minnesota centric area. Given a choice between a non wing sprint show and USMTS, the sprints would certainly win out. But if it were a winged show, you would find me at the USMTS event.

5/13/10, 8:06 AM   #5
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakin View Post
While my preference is "traditional" sprint cars, I have to say that the modifieds that run these days with the four link rears can put on one fantastic show, too. Good thing for me down here since other than a few winged shows (and the first Sprint Bandit event this year), that is our top class. I also have to say that the USMTS does an absolutely great job with their rules package and touring series. I would love to see them expand outside of their central midwest, Iowa/Minnesota centric area. Given a choice between a non wing sprint show and USMTS, the sprints would certainly win out. But if it were a winged show, you would find me at the USMTS event.
We are really spoiled here with the "traditional" sprints on a regular basis. With that being said, modifieds are also pretty much a staple as well running under the UMP banner in the Great Lakes area. While I am not a huge fan of the "mortifieds", they can put on a good show. My biggest complaint is many times they run a lap or two and spin out. I realize that can happen but it seems like the B mains are two laps and a yellow, two laps and a yellow, etc. With the way the modified feature started last night, I thought we were in for a long race.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1 member likes this post: PIT CART
5/13/10, 8:12 AM   #6
Tim Watson

How much rain did Eldora get in the last couple days? It's amazing how mother nature can ruin a night at the track with a late afternoon shower....but on the other hand if the shower comes earlier in the day it can be a huge help.

5/13/10, 1:27 PM   #7
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post

You think that with the BOSS being there thathad anything to do with not cancelling

5/13/10, 3:14 PM   #8
chrismattlin

Yeah, that had something to do with it. But, really, if Tony was there or not, Eldora still had to kiss the asses of the fans and the competitors. They owed it to us, and theirselves, and I must say, they did a fine job. I had a blast last night. The only thing that wasn't good was the weather, and noone can help that.

The stands looked nearly as full as they were on that cancelled 80 degree day in early April. I kind of feel sorry for the fans who didn't go to this show simply because they were pissed. These people really missed out, and were the real losers of the whole deal. You don't think Earl Baltes ever had an event that was a monstrosity? ***** happens. I hope everyone makes it to the Four Crown, I know I will.

5/13/10, 3:50 PM   #9
racefan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismattlin View Post
Yeah, that had something to do with it. But, really, if Tony was there or not, Eldora still had to kiss the asses of the fans and the competitors. They owed it to us, and theirselves, and I must say, they did a fine job. I had a blast last night. The only thing that wasn't good was the weather, and noone can help that.

The stands looked nearly as full as they were on that cancelled 80 degree day in early April. I kind of feel sorry for the fans who didn't go to this show simply because they were pissed. These people really missed out, and were the real losers of the whole deal. You don't think Earl Baltes ever had an event that was a monstrosity? ***** happens. I hope everyone makes it to the Four Crown, I know I will.
Would have loved to go back but having it on a Wednesday didnt help us working stiffs.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

1 member likes this post: Geoff Kaiser
5/13/10, 3:52 PM   #10
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I can honestly say, I haven't purposefully skipped a attend-able race just because it was being web-cast.

I do think that the stream can actually showcase your tracks,
If your operations up to it. It certainly showcases sprint and midget racing to those who haven't been exposed to it. Tell a nascar fan about a upcoming stream, When they see slidejobs and two and three wide multi lap racing, They may rethink their only exposure to oval track racing.

One problem with it though, Nobody but usac followers even know its there to begin with. I gotta thank tracks like Kokomo and others who allow it quite often.

There is no comparison, WHile you can see some of the action and who's finishing where, The ground pounding, noises and smells are every part of what make this sport great, And the things the camera never catches.

Chuck

4 members like this post: 64chevy, Jimmydiesel, mtek56, Seadog
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Eldora observations