IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How old is too old for a midget chassis?
4/21/10, 12:07 AM   #1
How old is too old for a midget chassis?
BuddyCampbellRacing

So I'm trying to buy a midget chassis to go racing in the Carolina Ford Focus Midget Series. I have found a good deal on a Stealth chassis. The only thing is it is from 1997. I was just wondering if that is too old, and how much have they changed since than?

4/21/10, 8:42 AM   #2
Re: How old is too old for a midget chassis?
sprintcar39

If I were you I would look for a newer Beast chassis to race in the Carolina Ford Focus Midget Series. There are some good used package deals out there. I saw a good used 2005 Beast with many extras for around $10,000 at Hickory a few weeks ago. The stealth you are talking about would be good for some dirt racing but I am not sure how competitive you could make it for the asphalt series.

4/21/10, 6:13 PM   #3
darnall

Speaking on dirt racing my 99 stealth handles as well as anything I have driven or raced against. The geometry of dirt cars really hasn't changed significantly in 13 years. The biggest difference is shock and tire technology. I can't comment as to how the 97 Stealth would work as an asphalt car.

I would be more concerned about the structural integrity of an older car than the competitiveness. Really good inspection would be important. Have tubes been replaced? Have there been any plugs put in tubing? Do any of the welds show signs of previous cracks/rewelds? Is there any sign of cracked tubing 1/8th to 1/4 inch from the welds? Is the chassis still square? Are there cracks hiding under multiple paint/powdercoat jobs? Has the inside of the tubing been subject to rust? That all comes down to who previously owned the car (all previous owners) and what kind of storage and maintenence proceedures were used.

4/21/10, 9:13 PM   #4
Joltin Joe

I am currently driving a 2000 beast combo car and have won on both dirt and asphalt. I have run up from with the Carolina group many of times.

As long as you have the right shock and spring package on the car the chassis wont be a BIG disadvantage in the Ford Focus Series.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How old is too old for a midget chassis?