IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Henry Clarke
4/20/10, 3:14 AM   #1
Henry Clarke
JasonWatt

This guy has improved 110% from last year. I was quite impressed with his run Sat night at the burg until the flip!

He had a top 3 - 4 in the bag before the accident on lap 29. He then runs top 5 at Kokomo the next evening!

Keep up the good work Henry!

J Watt

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, Hclarke, TQ97
4/20/10, 8:45 AM   #2
Re: Henry Clarke
Seadog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWatt View Post
This guy has improved 110% from last year. I was quite impressed with his run Sat night at the burg until the flip!

He had a top 3 - 4 in the bag before the accident on lap 29. He then runs top 5 at Kokomo the next evening!

Keep up the good work Henry!

J Watt
I am interested in a little of what Henry's background is - like where he came from, what he drove in the past and what led him to USAC. What has been his racing career path been so far and does he want to move up or is he where he wants to be?

1 member likes this post: REH24
4/20/10, 10:36 AM   #3
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
I am interested in a little of what Henry's background is - like where he came from, what he drove in the past and what led him to USAC. What has been his racing career path been so far and does he want to move up or is he where he wants to be?
Californian, family in recycling business, raced motocross, came up through Kruseman's school, you'll have to ask him.

1 member likes this post: Seadog
4/20/10, 11:57 AM   #4
Sausage

Californian, family in recycling business, raced motocross, came up through Kruseman's school, you'll have to ask him.

You have that correct. He not only did the Kruseman school, but drove for him as a development driver. Cory was running three developement drivers at the time I was in California, Henry Clarke, Austin Mero, and Alex Schutte. My spelling may be off since I am going from memory .

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 AM ----------

should have also added that the original post is right on the money. He has developed a tremendous amount since leaving California and racing with the Indiana drivers. No substitute for seat time and various tracks and track conditions. Its getting hard to do that much in California now. Perris is not a weekly show anymore, and most of the tracks remaining run wings.

4/20/10, 12:14 PM   #5
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

Henry's father, HClarke is on here quite often.

I did see Henry race last year at Ventura in Matt Mitchell's 360 car and win.

I believe he may be interested in them Indy cars... Just a message board, don't commit it as gospel.
Last edited by apexonephoto; 4/20/10 at 12:15 PM.

1 member likes this post: Seadog
4/20/10, 3:33 PM   #6
mnigh

Here's a little PR bit on Henry from 2008...

Henry Clarke, a former motocross racer, began the transition to four wheels late in the 2007 season running a handful of VRA 360 non-wing races and loves the opportunity of learning from one of the best in the west. “When we decided to change from motocross to sprint cars Cory was our first and only choice for building a successful resume on dirt. I am extremely fortunate to have Cory as my mentor; I believe that his expertise as a driver and teacher will help me realize my goals,” Clarke declared.

The 19 year old from Orange, CA moved to Ventura to allow him to focus on his racing career. “Henry is at the race shop every day working on the cars and we try to have him run a car twice a month at the driving school,” stated Kruseman. In his rookie season, Clarke has competed in over 60 sprint car and midget events in 2008 with two Focus midget wins to his credit.

Also that 360 win at Ventura last year was in Steve Watt's (Biggie) car that Matt Mitchell drives on occassion.

We at Kruseman Motorsports are very proud of Henry and agree that a USAC win is near!

Mike Nigh

5 members like this post: 64chevy, Hclarke, jerrydt, mtek56, Seadog
4/20/10, 3:55 PM   #7
Hclarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
Greg,

Here's a condensed version

Henry came out of the SoCal Motocross ranks just over 2 1/2 years ago. Hometown is Villa Park, Ca, he's 20 years old, entering his second full season on the USAC national tour.

He raced and trained for life as a motorcross racer under Donnie Hansen (yes, thats' Josh's dad) for several years. He moved to 4 wheels and 360 sprints in September of 2007 at Ventura with Cory Kruseman. This is the place to start your kid in dirt track racing! After 3 days at Cory's school he raced the following Saturday at Ventura in a 360. He finished every lap in the heat and Semi and progressed from there. His first car was numbered 67.

Henry ran his first 410 at Victorville in late 2007; making and finishing the main 7th. He then raced 410's with Kruseman all of 2008, continued in the 360's and ran three Ford Focus races winning two main events; placing 2nd in the third.

Henry won his heat and main event the first time running a Ford Focus in competition. He also ran USAC midgets for the first time that year and finished 4th behind Kruseman the second time competing in a midget.

His first real taste of running with the National USAC guys came in 2008 during ISW's. I believe he made one main on a USAC/CRA provisional but stayed in Indiana for another 4 weeks winning his first heat in a 410 at Paragon and performing well at the local tracks. They ran a lot of races during that stay in Indiana. Most memorable was a 1,2,3 finish in a heat for Cory, Henry and Austin at Kokomo.

Upon returning from Indiana we saw a different racer. Seat time and being on the road for nearly two months with Cory made a big difference. As I put it, "a born again gas it up, run to the front racer." He won a heat at Calistoga the first night and gave David Cardey all he could handle running for the transfer out of the B on night two. Calistoga is where the kid really started to put the pieces all together.

A 10th in the G main the first time at the Chili Bowl kicked off 2009.

Henry made the choice to move to Indiana in April of 2009. He was introduced to Keith and Pete at Kunz Motorsports in October 2008 prior to the Granite City midget race by Jack Schroeder out of St Louis. Jack is a former midget owner with some pretty good names taking turns in the seat. It took some selling to get the kid that ride; but he did not dissapoint and made a solid showing.

Henry got a ton of help from the USAC regulars, Hagen, Hines, Whitt, Levi all helped. Keith and Pete build great cars - but few know they build great drivers. Got a kid running somewhere that wants to step up to USAC National? Call these guys. You don't hear much about driver development from Pete and Keith but I'm here to tell you they'll take a young racer and make him better.

Former open wheel racer and family friend, Steve Chassey also took a lot of time with Henry last season. We've been blessed with great people around the kid, wonderful fans, supportive drivers and the folks at USAC.

If you've been following since he joined the USAC National tour you pretty much know the rest. So far this season it has been a break out year. Three podium finishes overall, a bunch of top 10 results and much stronger qualifying results.

Henry also tried on the DefNder neck brace going into this weekend. His first text after Lawrenceburg Saturday night was, "well the DefNder works, comfortable and I gave it a good test." We look forward to working with DefNder. Henrys' also shown great results running Dan Drinan's Dri-Bar on the car (it was there all weekend). A big thanks to the team at Drinan.

Future interests? Win his first USAC National race. Focus on this season results- next race - next lap. If you ask Henry-Indy. He genuinely loved going 160 in the draft at Phoenix and is an ace in karts on a road course. The family is split - we've got friends in NASCAR but long standing ties to the speedway so in the end - we'll follow the car owner that wants to put this kid to work in a race car.
Last edited by Hclarke; 4/20/10 at 4:23 PM.

4/20/10, 5:33 PM   #8
VSneader2

Race Count This Year: 2
Race Count Last Year: 11

Well I don't think you can get anymore history on him then that. It was nice reading about and up and coming USAC star

1 member likes this post: Hclarke
4/20/10, 5:34 PM   #9
racer-x

When i first heard his name Henry i thought he was some old man.He looked good Sunday night and i bet after all of these posts i bet he picks up a few new fans, including me!! Go get em Henry!!

4/20/10, 5:57 PM   #10
Hclarke

Nah - I'm the old guy. Thanks!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Henry Clarke