IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT Toyota
3/12/10, 2:09 AM   #1
OT Toyota
turn4rob

I know this is old news but can one of you Toyota owners answer a ?
If you experence a sudden acceleration issue why not just put the thing in neutral and coast to a stop? Or am I missing something?

thanks
ROB

3/12/10, 5:41 AM   #2
Re: OT Toyota
racer-x

I had my cruise control stick on my ford F-150 several years ago and i just calmly turned the key off.Yes i lost the powersteering but you could still steer it..In fact i got the truck turned around and drove over 20 miles home using the ignition brake pedel and gear shift lever.

It seems strange when we get reports of people having the throttle sticking and using there cell phone to call 911. The story with the Prius going 90 miles an hour and the driver calling on the cell phone and then the cop slowing the car down story stinks to hi heaven if you ask me.

Thats what happenes when the press,unions and leaders of this country are able to pick winners and loosers of company's and corporation's in this country.

3/12/10, 6:57 AM   #3
outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn4rob View Post
I know this is old news but can one of you Toyota owners answer a ?
If you experence a sudden acceleration issue why not just put the thing in neutral and coast to a stop? Or am I missing something?

thanks
ROB
Most people who drive their cars are more interested in BS gadgets in their car (WiFi on Ram trucks, Sync on Fords, etc) then how the car operates and what to do in an emergency.

Anymore, cell phones are the answer to everything. THey are great but have their place and when you are going 90 with a stuck throttle, that isn't the place. Learn the car and how it works. Everyone needs to know certain things about cars.

3/12/10, 7:06 AM   #4
speed bump

I agree with both of you. Ialso think there are people that just want to get
their face on the t.v. There will be a lot of the copy cat type people doing this also.

Or I need want a new car and this might be the way to get one.

Or it`s the one thing Oboma doesnt own yet, so he`ll try to run them out of the U. S. A.

3/12/10, 7:39 AM   #5
Joe@ScaleSprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-x View Post

It seems strange when we get reports of people having the throttle sticking and using there cell phone to call 911. The story with the Prius going 90 miles an hour and the driver calling on the cell phone and then the cop slowing the car down story stinks to hi heaven if you ask me.
I heard on the news this morning that the guy filed Bankruptcy in 2008 and is already 700,000 in debt and was hoping Toyota would pay his bills.

amazing

3/12/10, 9:21 AM   #6
Seadog

Toyota's acceleration problems don't affect me at all. I have never bought a Toyota and I never will. I know it goes against conventional wisdom, but I am old school and can't forgive the Japanese for what they did to us in "The Big One" WWII. I just can't let it go.

I drive a good old Chevy Impala (made in Canada) and have had a few problems with it, but it's at least an AMERICAN car company.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

6 members like this post: bobO, FishBurger, Jimmydiesel, skids59, TQ29m, Xflagman
3/12/10, 10:03 AM   #7
wbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-x View Post

Thats what happenes when the press,unions and leaders of this country are able to pick winners and loosers of company's and corporation's in this country.
I thought the same thing. The guy said he didn't feel comfortable enough to reach over and shut it off until the car slowed to 50mph. He was comfortable enough to dial 911 and have a lengthy conversation with the dispatcher though.
My wife and I laughed for an hour after hearing him on the morning news.

3/12/10, 10:34 AM   #8
JEFFSTOY

He probably will get his bills paid as this is the way the crooked lawyers rule the courts......... and judges......

1 member likes this post: Bruce Harrison
3/12/10, 12:44 PM   #9
sprinter25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post
Toyota's acceleration problems don't affect me at all. I have never bought a Toyota and I never will. I know it goes against conventional wisdom, but I am old school and can't forgive the Japanese for what they did to us in "The Big One" WWII. I just can't let it go.

I drive a good old Chevy Impala (made in Canada) and have had a few problems with it, but it's at least an AMERICAN car company.

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Just a comment, Greg....

Are you still mad at the Brits for the War of 1812? I think that they burned the White House then......

3/12/10, 12:59 PM   #10
racerdog45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinter25 View Post
Just a comment, Greg....

Are you still mad at the Brits for the War of 1812? I think that they burned the White House then......
The Brits didn't sneak attack pearl harbor, the brits didn't **** and murder tens of thousands of innocent women and childern, the brits didn't abuse and kill thousands of US troops who were prisoners of war, care for me to keep explaining the differences? Also I tend to think the attitude of the japanese towards us (Americans) over the past few decades contributes to the facts along with their unfair trade policies. I sell used cars and won't even LOOK at one to buy at auction and thankfully haven't had to take many in on trade, and the one's I do take on trade go straight to auction....

5 members like this post: badgerfan, FishBurger, Seadog, skids59, Xflagman
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > OT Toyota