IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USF1 circling the drain...
2/17/10, 5:10 PM   #1
USF1 circling the drain...
racerdog45

Things are not looking good for the USF1 team.
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/156910/...or_campos.html

Business manager has left, one of the major backers who is the founder/CEO of Youtube is either leaving or has left, there has been no car debut (is there EVEN a car to debut???) let alone any testing (while almost every other team is on track already), the factory they are leasing is for sale, there has only been one (non american) driver announced. I would say the big flush is only days away for this deal. Alot of hype was generated about being an "American" effort but in reality the team was to be based in Europe, the owners/team leaders were all from elsewhere. Maybe someday we'll get a TRUE American effort.

2/17/10, 5:41 PM   #2
Re: USF1 circling the drain...
Seadog

I'm very upset about their impending demise - not.

2/17/10, 5:54 PM   #3
Vukie

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/artic...ly-dream-over/

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2010/02/1...harlotte-base/

2/17/10, 6:35 PM   #4
brc

Sad to say but in reality ,I doubt there is hardly anyone in the States that can pony up the money to lay into an true F1 effort. The only countries that have any REAL money is any in the middle east. The US has operated on borrow/loan for so long times have finally come 'to pay the piper' and there are very very many companies/individuals that can not pay the piper,unfortunately!
Sounds like if the USF1 group can find someone to 'get in' $$$ wise,they may still try to hit the track sometime during the year...
The logistics of an F1 effort has to be pretty much over the top,for even people that are pretty bizz savy.

Take Care,
BC

2/17/10, 6:44 PM   #5
kylenap@yahoo.com

When it costs almost a billion dollars to run a F1 team I'm surprised that they have as many as they do. BTW, I though the USF1 team was supposed to have american drivers. When they announced who their first driver was, I knew they were in trouble.

2/17/10, 8:34 PM   #6
racerdog45

there is enough money here in the USA but really not enough interest, the return on investment for a sponsor who is mainly US based is NIL, with a GP here in the USA maybe a small return but probally still not enough to make it worth while. Note the big car companies left as soon as their money got tight, F1 didn't seem to help them sell cars and in the case of Honda, Toyota and BMW the fact that they basically sucked overall when compared to the long time players like Ferrari and McLaren and also now the newcomers of Brawn(now Mercedes) and RedBull probally hurt them in selling cars worldwide. Note Brawn WAS Honda and didn't start being competitive untill AFTER Honda left(taking the motor with them also). The costs are out of control, the racing basically sucks, the races are all now going away from the traditional places and being run in the middle of nowhere on tracks that are hard to tell apart.Max Mosley had the right ideal in cutting costs having forseen the demise of most of the big car makers taking part but sadly most changes have been thrown away. Sooner or later some sort of cost control will have to take place for F1 to survive but with Bernie in charge it won't happen untill he dies. As far as USF1 goes, i think they honestly thought they could get a Danica or Kyle Busch and therefore get some serious sponsorship but that was never really going to happen and the hype doesn't seem to be enough to carry them thru. They have missed all the F1 tests so far, there has been NO car presented for testing here in the US and the rent a ride driver they had hired seems to have left the building along with the only rich American businessman willing to back them. Unless Bill gates comes riding over the hill with the Cavalry (or a Wells fargo truck full of money) then i would say they're on life support and the plug will soon be pulled, there's no way they can make the season opener and doubtful they can make the 4th race IF the FIA would allow a late start. So far new teams Lotus and irgin have taken track and are testing and looking good. USF1 and Campos(or whatever it is as of today) are shaky with MAYBE Campos being saved and ran under a differnet name/owner.etc. They at least have a chassis ready to go at this time thanks to the dallara tie-in. But my interests/hopes were done as soon as they started the whole hire a foreign driver with money thing, now just watching them die slowly..........
Last edited by racerdog45; 2/17/10 at 9:14 PM. Reason: fixing typos

2/18/10, 11:26 AM   #7
Vukie

http://adamcooperf1.com/2010/02/17/t...road-for-usf1/

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/...news-for-usf1/

Add Jacques to the mix.
http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/81566
Last edited by Vukie; 2/18/10 at 12:15 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USF1 circling the drain...