IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cooler Tax? Would you be for it?
8/10/09, 10:10 AM   #1
Cooler Tax? Would you be for it?
LEADERS EDGE

After reading the boards for the last few years; one of the things that keeps coming up is coolers and their allowance in the stands.

We all know that tracks don't allow coolers because they are trying to generate income via concession sales.(Although they can create a hazard in the stands) They have to. They are a business and they have to turn a profit to stay one.

I also understand the desire of fans to bring your own beveridges and food.

Could a compromise be made if a track offered a cooler section, but in turn to bring in a larger cooler, you paid some sort of fee of $10 or $15 dollars. Say a ticket is $10, but if you want a large cooler it would be $25(Only for the one person, one other adult could benefit at the regular price and children would have their regular price as well.) You sit in a section that accomidates the coolers and have at it.

After a few cold ones and some sandwiches, the difference is made up for the customer,the track owner has some coin and the customer has their own food and beveridge.

At first glance that may seem unfair, but really everyone gets what they want or need without anyone being offended.

Just a question that may or may not help the tracks and the customers experience.

8/10/09, 10:44 AM   #2
Re: Cooler Tax? Would you be for it?
DonMoore10

Oh my!!!! Here we go with the back gate also with more fees. Let's see.... entry fee .... pit pass fee ... parking fee .. now the cooler fee . Maybe install an ATM on the grounds also to help pay all the fees. Might as well add a piss and dump restroom fee while were at it. That will help the customers experience for sure. The customer will need it after drinking the cooler dry. If they are going to do it at the front gate, they'll do it at the back gate.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 8/10/09 at 10:54 AM.

8/10/09, 10:53 AM   #3
LEADERS EDGE

Just a question, not a mandate.

No offense Don, but you are only looking at it from your side which is I have a fully loaded kitchen in my RV and I shouldn't have to pay more because I am the show. All of which are points I agree with, but the fans don't have that luxery.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 8/10/09 at 11:32 AM.

8/10/09, 10:58 AM   #4
DonMoore10

hahahahaha Hey... I've had the back gate security guard (AKA back gate fee collector ) come in my motorhome and see if I'm hiding anybody in the bathroom.

8/10/09, 11:05 AM   #5
Dave Rudisell
Inactive Member

We welcome coolers at Lawrenceburg, Just the smaller ones though, so they don't take up too much room. I was talking to someone yesterday that said they went to a certain track, and they would'nt even allow them to bring in a box of animal crackers for their child, now to me that is just ridiculus. When i was a kid, the only way we could go to the races was to pack a cooler and some snacks, back then is was ok at all the tracks we went to i believe. I guess if you had to you could leave your stuff in the car and make a few trips to your car, which is a inconveinence.
Bottomline is, we allow coolers and drinks in the grandstands, we have free parking and free camping, and i think we have very fair concession prices, especially compared to most sporting events i have been to.
Hope to see you at Lawrenceburg with your cooler and animal crackers.:2:
Thanks, Dave

2 members like this post: Jimmydiesel, RacinFool
8/10/09, 11:13 AM   #6
Rpracing1

Easy question.............No way

8/10/09, 11:18 AM   #7
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rudisell View Post
We welcome coolers at Lawrenceburg, Just the smaller ones though, so they don't take up too much room. I was talking to someone yesterday that said they went to a certain track, and they would'nt even allow them to bring in a box of animal crackers for their child, now to me that is just ridiculus. When i was a kid, the only way we could go to the races was to pack a cooler and some snacks, back then is was ok at all the tracks we went to i believe. I guess if you had to you could leave your stuff in the car and make a few trips to your car, which is a inconveinence.
Bottomline is, we allow coolers and drinks in the grandstands, we have free parking and free camping, and i think we have very fair concession prices, especially compared to most sporting events i have been to.
Hope to see you at Lawrenceburg with your cooler and animal crackers.:2:
Thanks, Dave
Yep Dave!!.that would be KOKOMO!!..for me it was a 1/2 bottle of water!!..and thanks to You 'n Crew at da 'Burg!!...its always a fun time at ur Track!!.....

8/10/09, 11:31 AM   #8
LEADERS EDGE

So many people always seem to be upset that only the smaller coolers are allowed at places so I am interested in seeing if people would be willing to pay extra for the luxery of having the bigger coolers allowed.

At first it seems unfair, but for two adults and two kids, bringing the larger coolers would be a money saver in the long run for them; especially if they like an adult beveridge or 10, plus the tracks may not have to carry as much inventory and workers. Lessening spoilage and freeing up cash. Fans get what they want and the track gets what they want.

That said; I'm sure many tracks already have good policies, but just seeing if there is a compromise.

I realize that at a Pacers/Colts or any pro team for that matter,there isn't even a question of coolers, but racing being a traditionally outdoor sport with a less formal feel has usually allowed coolers of some sort.

If you pay the extra $10.00-$15.00 for the larger cooler, you could possibly save $10-$20 for the night.
Last edited by LEADERS EDGE; 8/10/09 at 11:34 AM.

8/10/09, 11:46 AM   #9
sprinter25

Don't forget that most states have a carry in alcoholic beverage rule; if they're selling beer, then you can't carry any beer in.

Some of us have been known to try and hide a few brews; when this is the case, I can understand why tracks have such strict cooler laws. I think that any track has a right to enforce any cooler rule; but they should post a BIG sign stating what those rules are, and then enforce the rule consistently. And if you don't like or agree with the rules, then go somewhere else...

8/10/09, 11:53 AM   #10
speed service

Nice going there Leaders Edge. Ol' D moore was sleeping and you had to try and sneek your hand into his change purse

Chuy

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cooler Tax? Would you be for it?