IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > open letter to Kokomo management
8/9/09, 2:59 PM   #1
open letter to Kokomo management
clayton92fan

To start with I am a kokomo speedway backstretch regular. Have been going to Kokomo since 1967 when I was 4 years old. What you guys have done to"my" track has been nothing short of amazing. I hope you continue to keep on keepin on.. My thought was on last nights fan appreciation night. I know there were multiple regular Saturday night shows going and car count would be an issue. In my humble opinion you missed out on a chance to really pick up some "new" fans last night.There were alot of new faces in the crowd last night and not having one of the regular shows with the 20 to 30 cars we normally have left a sour taste in the new fans mouth. The half price ticket was awesome. However to me, if you are going to run the fan appreciation night on Saturday you should come up with a fancy name for the race, run 30 laps and raise the purse so you would pull from some of the other tracks that run Saturdays. Then your "new fans" would see what we already know. That $12 ticket on Sundays is well worth the price of addmission, you have an awesome facility and they might just want to take the family there next time because of the product on the track. Nuff said these are strictly my opinions and no one elses.Kokomo Rules...

8/9/09, 3:27 PM   #2
Re: open letter to Kokomo management
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton92fan View Post
To start with I am a kokomo speedway backstretch regular. Have been going to Kokomo since 1967 when I was 4 years old. What you guys have done to"my" track has been nothing short of amazing. I hope you continue to keep on keepin on.. My thought was on last nights fan appreciation night. I know there were multiple regular Saturday night shows going and car count would be an issue. In my humble opinion you missed out on a chance to really pick up some "new" fans last night.There were alot of new faces in the crowd last night and not having one of the regular shows with the 20 to 30 cars we normally have left a sour taste in the new fans mouth. The half price ticket was awesome. However to me, if you are going to run the fan appreciation night on Saturday you should come up with a fancy name for the race, run 30 laps and raise the purse so you would pull from some of the other tracks that run Saturdays. Then your "new fans" would see what we already know. That $12 ticket on Sundays is well worth the price of addmission, you have an awesome facility and they might just want to take the family there next time because of the product on the track. Nuff said these are strictly my opinions and no one elses.Kokomo Rules...
I sit on the front stretch and last night there were many new fans that I haven't seen before on a regular Sunday night show. There were also a number of regulars (8 that I can think of) that were missing last night just in our little seating area. I have said many times and I will repeat it again. This is the best sprint car racing at any weekly race track in the state, week in and week out. It doesn't matter what type of car is running, sprints, modifieds, street stocks, thunder cars, mini sprints, etc...they all put on a great show.

Even with a short field last night, the racing action was intense. The Whitt/Darland battle was excellent and Bland/Cottle/Elson/Stanbrough tussle was well worth watching in the feature. The track crew again didn't need to touch the track and I even stayed for ALL of the features and was home by 11:00 PM. The action in the street stock feature was great and it had to be a photo finish among three cars. The O'Connor family deserves the credit for changing this place into THE racing joint.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

1 member likes this post: nonwing79
8/9/09, 3:45 PM   #3
lilrim

The track may have been short on car count (15). But look at who was there... Darland, Stanbrough, Bland, Cottle, Tmez, and Whitt. Enuff Said

QUALITY OVER QUANITY. my $.02

2 members like this post: nonwing79
8/9/09, 9:22 PM   #4
D.N.3

Thank you to the O'Connor family for another terrific night of racing! Yes, the car count for the sprints was less then normal but the quality of cars was nothing less then the best!! The battles on the track were excellent to say the least. Darland was close several times on passing Cole. Great run by all the drivers.

8/9/09, 10:16 PM   #5
T&A Racing

They do a great job week in and week out. Thank you.

What do fans want, quality or quanity? Both is nice but isn't usually going to happen. I used to be a big car count guy.

I don't disagree with the the first posters view but that increased purse and special events doesn't always work. Been to many shows like that where nothing else was running, no usac events, not close before or after a sprint week, and I left there disappointed because this was a special event with a higher purse and still the car count sucked in my opinion. This is when the economy was better too.

But I realize now, some of those shows were very good shows despite the lower car count. I didn't see it like that at the time and wish I would have. It would have been more enjoyable experience each time.

Live and learn I guess.

8/9/09, 11:41 PM   #6
Fisher79

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton92fan View Post
I agree with a lot of what you said, and if you've been going to Kokomo since 1967 then you certainly know your stuff. I will say though, that it's hard to pay a bigger purse when you're cutting your take at the gate in half.

8/10/09, 12:15 PM   #7
unclebuck

We should all be thankful for job the O'conners do at Kokomo. They did the same at Kankakee and Southlake. Both of those tracks were dumps and ill run before the o'conners took over. Some of you do seem to realize how lucky you are. I for one will continue to support the track as a participant or spectator. They do a great job no matter what side of the fence your on.
Dale Weis
Valparaiso IN

8/10/09, 1:16 PM   #8
Nut'n but Dirt

When you are a regular Sunday night race place, then you should stick with that during racing season. They do a great job there, but when you are messing with other race tracks that normally run, then you are going to be low on counts. Several guys run for points at those other race tracks, and can't miss at their regular tracks to run special events. Next year I suggest you stay with your Sunday nights

8/10/09, 5:23 PM   #9
T&A Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut'n but Dirt View Post
When you are a regular Sunday night race place, then you should stick with that during racing season. They do a great job there, but when you are messing with other race tracks that normally run, then you are going to be low on counts. Several guys run for points at those other race tracks, and can't miss at their regular tracks to run special events. Next year I suggest you stay with your Sunday nights
I would have to agree however, I don't remember too many tracks considering The Kokomo Speedway when running special events or raindates on Sundays. I do agree with the thought of cars running for points at a Sat. track but don't see the harm in a rare Sat. race.

I would have liked it to be on Sunday too.
Last edited by T&A Racing; 8/10/09 at 5:24 PM.

1 member likes this post: dirtnonwingfan
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > open letter to Kokomo management