IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "So you think you've got a pretty good helmet , huh ?"
8/8/09, 1:49 PM   #1
"So you think you've got a pretty good helmet , huh ?"
pgray

When Michael Schumacher makes his Formula One return later this month ,
he will be wearing a Schuberth helmet costing $ 17,228.00 US ( 12,000 euros ).

The helmet is a revised model of the one worn by Felipe Massa when he was hit in the left side visor area by a rear spring lost from another car.
The impact to his head ( by the spring ) was estimated at 163 mph ( 265 kph ).

The helmet was naturally credited with saving Massa's life.

I thought my helmet was pretty good at $ 765.00 !
Maybe it's time for everyone to rethink what their head is worth !

8/8/09, 2:25 PM   #2
Re: "So you think you've got a pretty good helmet , huh ?"
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray View Post
When Michael Schumacher makes his Formula One return later this month ,
he will be wearing a Schuberth helmet costing $ 17,228.00 US ( 12,000 euros ).

The helmet is a revised model of the one worn by Felipe Massa when he was hit in the left side visor area by a rear spring lost from another car.
The impact to his head ( by the spring ) was estimated at 163 mph ( 265 kph ).

The helmet was naturally credited with saving Massa's life.

I thought my helmet was pretty good at $ 765.00 !
Maybe it's time for everyone to rethink what their head is worth !

Well said PG...thats always a Safety issue!!.....n' makin sure you're Brain Bucket is top of line,safety wise!!...replacing it when called for or outdated!!....food for thought....Got a $10.00 head??...get a $10.00 Helmet!!.......

1 member likes this post: Jimmydiesel
8/8/09, 2:35 PM   #3
Pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSprinter View Post
Well said PG...thats always a Safety issue!!.....n' makin sure you're Brain Bucket is top of line,safety wise!!.......Got a $10.00 head??...get a $10.00 Helmet!!.......

8/9/09, 12:51 AM   #4
bobO

bump
Last edited by bobO; 8/9/09 at 1:00 AM. Reason: flat messed up

8/9/09, 12:56 AM   #5
bobO

while on pit lane at the speedway a man came up to bill simpson and started crying about the price of his helment,s and told bill he could go to kmart and get one for 10.00 buck,s bill,s replay was if your head is worth 10.00 buck,s then run your a$$ down there and get one !!! we almost fell over laughing the next day bill set himself on fire to prove his point !!! i miss him we as racer,s & media really hung his a$$ out to dry after dale passed away for all your time & hard work AND LIVE,S SAVED !!!! THANK,S BILL hope we see your smile again & hear your laugh somtime soon you are missed!!!!!! :2:

8/9/09, 3:02 AM   #6
JEFFSTOY

tttttttt

8/9/09, 4:25 AM   #7
okienonwingfan

Brucer can I used that in my signature line?

8/9/09, 4:41 AM   #8
JasonWatt

Great post Brucer.... too funny!

Schumacher was unstoppable back in the day though, greatest of all time without a doubt.

8/9/09, 1:39 PM   #9
safetyworker

A few years ago, while working safety at a track sponsored by a suit/helmet manufacturer (lg logo on my suit), a guy walks up to me and tells me he would surely never buy a helmet made by our sponsor...being curious where this would go, I asked why that was. He told me a friend of his was wearing one of their helmets and was struck by a large rock on a dirt track...apparently expected the manufacturer to replace the helmet for free as he felt it was "defective"...I asked him how his friend was doing...said he was fine and was there that night...I explained to him that the helmet had likely saved his friends life and by absorbing/deflecting the energy away from the head, it had done its job and should be replaced with a letter a gratitude to the manufacturer. He had a rather stunned look on his face and said he had really not thought of it that way and wandered away.

I hope his view of the function of a helmet is not indicative of the view of other racers! <G>

8/9/09, 3:05 PM   #10
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by safetyworker View Post
A few years ago, while working safety at a track sponsored by a suit/helmet manufacturer (lg logo on my suit), a guy walks up to me and tells me he would surely never buy a helmet made by our sponsor...being curious where this would go, I asked why that was. He told me a friend of his was wearing one of their helmets and was struck by a large rock on a dirt track...apparently expected the manufacturer to replace the helmet for free as he felt it was "defective"...I asked him how his friend was doing...said he was fine and was there that night...I explained to him that the helmet had likely saved his friends life and by absorbing/deflecting the energy away from the head, it had done its job and should be replaced with a letter a gratitude to the manufacturer. He had a rather stunned look on his face and said he had really not thought of it that way and wandered away.

I hope his view of the function of a helmet is not indicative of the view of other racers! <G>
As the Racing Director at Bell Helmets I can tell you, I get the same phone call week after week. After the discussion of their crash I offer them to send it in for inspection. 90% of the time the helmet is fine...just a paint chip or so, but until you take it apart to examined the inner liner, which is just as important as the outer shell, you really cant be sure. Of the other 10% I deem unusable, they expect you to replace it for free. NOT! We do generally offer a discount on a new one......and always return theirs back. ~Arin Mcintosh comes to mind~
I use the examples.....Maxim, GRP, or DRC doesnt give you new frame for free after you bend one up in a crash you walk away from......or Hoosier doesnt give you a new tire everytime you go out and grind one off after winning the A Main somewhere. Or after winning the series or track championship, I dont know of any engine builders that give you a free engine and say, "sorry it wore out". Weather its a Bell, Simpson or Impact, if you survive a major crash that involves sacrificing your helmet......and you live to tell about it.......I think a simple thank you would be in order.

Steve Thomas

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > "So you think you've got a pretty good helmet , huh ?"