IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Red Amick #25 roadster
8/1/09, 11:34 AM   #1
Red Amick #25 roadster
old time Hoosier

Any oldtimers out there remember the yellow #25 roadster? Red Amick ran this car in Mutual events. Reportedly the car, or engine, was built by Clay Smith in California then sold to Andy Granatelli for his Chicago based 'Hurricane Hotrods' and later purchased by Amick. Is this a fact or can anybody enlighten me on this car.

8/1/09, 3:46 PM   #2
Re: Red Amick #25 roadster
TQ29m

I remember the car, Red was my hero, right color, badddddd flatdead, but I only got to see him a few times each summer, we weren't financially able to follow the circuit, and I know nothing of the history, all I know is, my first flatdead had a Clay Smith X cam in it, and it was so rough at idle, it would get the front end shimmying, and I'd have to curb it to get it stopped, my duece chassis just flexed too much. Those were some real race cars, built by real people, and driven by real men, I hung around Dan Walls garage in those days, and Crockett drove for him a lot, Dan had the baddest flatdead Ford 6 cyl there ever was, Nugent Autos Supply, Columbus Auto Supply, Kings Taxi Midgets, man, what an era to grow up in. Bob

8/1/09, 9:48 PM   #3
Modocer 57

I don't recall this car, but Red was a fine man an a very good racer. My father worked with Red at Union City Body company, before he open the truck stop on I 69. Red could get around the banks as well as anyone. He used to drive for Tom Cherry and later drove a 11 car I think the Abbott chevy a very fast car. He had alot of stories about the IMCA traveling days with Dizz Wilson and Johnny White who was a real joker.

8/1/09, 11:42 PM   #4
SprintManDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
I remember the car, Red was my hero, right color, badddddd flatdead, but I only got to see him a few times each summer, we weren't financially able to follow the circuit, and I know nothing of the history, all I know is, my first flatdead had a Clay Smith X cam in it, and it was so rough at idle, it would get the front end shimmying, and I'd have to curb it to get it stopped, my duece chassis just flexed too much. Those were some real race cars, built by real people, and driven by real men, I hung around Dan Walls garage in those days, and Crockett drove for him a lot, Dan had the baddest flatdead Ford 6 cyl there ever was, Nugent Autos Supply, Columbus Auto Supply, Kings Taxi Midgets, man, what an era to grow up in. Bob
I remember those days also Bob. I grew up across the street from Dan Walls. My Father had his garage on the opposite corner(Casey's Auto Service)from Dan. I used to go over and watch Dan and the guys work on the 110.Then they would take it out 14th street for a test run.I also remember you at Columbus Auto Supply. I used to run parts for my Dad occasionally. Dave Foist

8/2/09, 12:23 AM   #5
Dusty Goggles

Yes, I remember seeing him race at Mt Lawn and Winchester. I have pictures of him posed in the #25 car and pictures of it wadded up at Winchester. He also for a short period raced a team car with Tom Cherry #83, that he likewise wadded up. Have pictures of that also.
Dusty

8/2/09, 12:44 PM   #6
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintManDave View Post
I remember those days also Bob. I grew up across the street from Dan Walls. My Father had his garage on the opposite corner(Casey's Auto Service)from Dan. I used to go over and watch Dan and the guys work on the 110.Then they would take it out 14th street for a test run.I also remember you at Columbus Auto Supply. I used to run parts for my Dad occasionally. Dave Foist
Dave, my folks both worked at Arvin's, during WWll, then after the war, they stayed on for a while, and I stayed, during the day, at the Barkhimer's, Bob and I and Ronnie Freese ran around together, that musta been about 1947 to about 1950, but we sure put in our fair share of time at Dan's, that's been a long time ago, lotta miles on this ole chassis since then, if I'd a known it was going to hold up this long, I might have taken better care of it, but it's still in pretty good shape, for the shape it's in. Those were the history days, that a lot of folks will never understand, when you made almost everything yourself, and were smart enough to make it work, and cars were plentyful, 2 or 3 guys helping each other, that was a team, and they did it because they loved it, not so much for the money, they all had a hand in it, to be able to do something themselves, that would make their car faster. Bob

8/2/09, 1:15 PM   #7
SprintManDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ29m View Post
Dave, my folks both worked at Arvin's, during WWll, then after the war, they stayed on for a while, and I stayed, during the day, at the Barkhimer's, Bob and I and Ronnie Freese ran around together, that musta been about 1947 to about 1950, but we sure put in our fair share of time at Dan's, that's been a long time ago, lotta miles on this ole chassis since then, if I'd a known it was going to hold up this long, I might have taken better care of it, but it's still in pretty good shape, for the shape it's in. Those were the history days, that a lot of folks will never understand, when you made almost everything yourself, and were smart enough to make it work, and cars were plentyful, 2 or 3 guys helping each other, that was a team, and they did it because they loved it, not so much for the money, they all had a hand in it, to be able to do something themselves, that would make their car faster. Bob
You are right about the old days, and the pride that they all took in their cars. Do you still have your T.Q.? I worked for Arvin for 37 years (before the merger)nd in the 50's we would play Basketball at Ronnie Freese's goal on the east side of the Arvin parking lot.Sure miss those "good ole days".

8/2/09, 3:40 PM   #8
old time Hoosier

You gentlemen are mentioning hanging around Arvins and other garages during the late 1940's and early 1950's did any of you ever hang around Turners Alignment Shop in MUncie? It has been many, many years since I was back there but the last time I was there the old concrete block building is now gone. Turner did a brisk business with Mutual Roadsters, 'big cars' and modified stock car coupes. I can't even remember the name of the street but it was two blocks north of the 1300 block of East Main Street. I believe it was Tarbett Trucking, also now gone, that shared the huge parking lot with Turners.

8/2/09, 5:21 PM   #9
TQ29m

No, I was only able to go to the races at the old 25th st Fairgrounds, in Columbus, In, and once in a great while, we would go to Franklin, In, on a Wed nite. Back then, you had to bail yourself out, or manage someway to stay afloat, kinda like the song goes, we were poor, and didn't know it, cause everyone we knew, was in the same boat. I heard of the other places the Roaring Roadsters ran, but never got to go. Bob

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Red Amick #25 roadster