IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Pavement sprints & midgets
6/21/09, 3:30 PM   #1
Pavement sprints & midgets
SUPERDUKE
Banned

usac drives another nail in there coffin! I've been around usac for 52 years i've seen the best of open wheel racing!!!!!!!!!! But since the 90s its been down hill and ready too hit the bottom!!!!!!!!!! I want to point out some facts here! The first big mistake was too take dirt car racing from the championship trail! 2- too ban the rear engine sprint cars! 3- going to 410 ci. Sprint engine when you could run your 355ci. In you sprint and dirt car! 4- going to 18" wide wheels its ruin dirt track racing there all black slick dusty tracks! 5- having to have a pavement car and dirt car to go racing in champdirt sprints midgets! When we raced for 88 years with the same car on pavement and dirt!!!!!!!!!!! Now usac is taking pavement sprint cars out of there so called national or ohio indiana championship!!!!!!!!! Because of lack of cars!!!! Who fault is that? Usac leaders! I'am not braging when i say i told them on all this issues your making a big mistake doing all of this!!!!!! I wish i was wrong because racing been my life! But with usac common sense is not common!!!!!!!!! So if you want to see usac sprints on pavement this will be your last year & chance to see them! Now usac is 1/4 midget and off road truck racing! Both draw huge numbers of fans!!!!!!!!! Said part is no one at usac has any true understanding of the history of usac racing and how great it was and how great it could be! I hope you understand this!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 member likes this post: Pat O'Connor Fan
6/21/09, 4:17 PM   #2
Re: Pavement sprints & midgets
kinser

As scary as it is I agree with you on a couple of things. I think that you should have to run dirt to have a championship trail. I also agree about the tire width. I disagree about the rear engine cars. When the rear engine cars were around you had to have 2 cars, because the rear engine cars wouldn't work on dirt.
Posted via Mobile Device

6/21/09, 4:25 PM   #3
midmad68

a lot of great points. i have to agree with u with the statement about usac turning their focus toward the quater midgets and off-road trucks (at least it appears that way). having two different cars for dirt and pavement is rediculous. the tire bill to run pavement is rediculous (a few thousand dollars for just one weekend). the only way to control these cost are with more rules...but there's already enough of those. it's a catch 22 as far as i can see. pavement racing will continue as long as there are enough rich guys who are willing to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to field these cars.

MJ

6/21/09, 4:36 PM   #4
SUPERDUKE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmad68 View Post
a lot of great points. I have to agree with u with the statement about usac turning their focus toward the quater midgets and off-road trucks (at least it appears that way). Having two different cars for dirt and pavement is rediculous. The tire bill to run pavement is rediculous (a few thousand dollars for just one weekend). The only way to control these cost are with more rules...but there's already enough of those. It's a catch 22 as far as i can see. Pavement racing will continue as long as there are enough rich guys who are willing to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to field these cars.

Mj
usac pavement sprint on the national level is done at the end of the year!

---------- Post added at 04:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinser View Post
as scary as it is i agree with you on a couple of things. I think that you should have to run dirt to have a championship trail. I also agree about the tire width. I disagree about the rear engine cars. When the rear engine cars were around you had to have 2 cars, because the rear engine cars wouldn't work on dirt.
posted via mobile device
well you have to have two cars now!!!!!!! And there where 5 -6 rear engine cars then!!!! It would have been a stepping stone to the 500! Ask tom sneva!

6/21/09, 4:43 PM   #5
D.O.

I had heard that about the sprints. That is sad news.

USAC needs a rear engine pavement series. Almost had one but somebody didn't want to have to own a dirt car and a rear engine pavement car??? *** ???
Today you have to have one of each anyway.

Nobody will be changing to narrow tires. But it would take car of a lot of track problems.
Maybe a 14 inch wide. Equal the cars like e-mods.

Just thoughts

2 members like this post: Pat O'Connor Fan, SUPERDUKE
6/21/09, 5:02 PM   #6
kinser

D.O. correct me if I am wrong but didn't this same thing happen in the 80's too ?
Posted via Mobile Device

6/21/09, 5:29 PM   #7
Bruce Harrison

The sad thing is this has all happened before - late 70s/early 80s. I seem to remember another organization was created (ICAR?) for the pavement cars. Don't know if there would be enough interest now, given the car counts.

6/21/09, 5:39 PM   #8
kinser

It was ICAR and if I am not mistaken ASA even sanctioned some sprint car races
Posted via Mobile Device

6/21/09, 5:42 PM   #9
metal bender

yur, 100 % right with usac, its commen sense will not be tolerated. Some one needs tostart a new race club and combine the points midget sprint and champ cars to be come the number one or champ !!! Drivers would have to drive in all 3 to be champ. Thats the way it was years back !!

6/21/09, 5:45 PM   #10
VaDirt

Speaking of car counts on pavement, anyone have a guess on how many sprint and silver crowns might show at Richmond next weekend?

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Pavement sprints & midgets