IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo crash
5/4/09, 3:58 PM   #1
Kokomo crash
racefan20

Now that we know that Ballou is in no immediate danger i have a question. Under normal circumstances people on here would have been screaming for Hunter's head after trying a move like that but I'm not sure I remember his name even being mentioned in all the commentary about the wreck. In my eyes Hunter got one hell of a bite coming off of 2 had a run but couldnt clear him, hit the rut down on the bottom of turn 3 and got into him. Seeing that Hunter is a rather well-liked driver, if it were someone else would the commentary have been different? I thought it was a racing deal, not a real smart move considering it was a heat race and no advantage in the feature would have been gained from it but a racing deal just the same. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

5/4/09, 4:11 PM   #2
Re: Kokomo crash
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

My initial thought is both were in a safe transfer position, why take that kind of a chance when no advantage is to be gained? What does a heat race win pay these days? A slider gone bad = a huge wreck. A couple of trashed race cars, one driver transported to the hospital and nothing to show for it. It certainly wasn't the smartest move of the evening.

I was sitting down by turn 4 and a couple of rather vocal fans let Hunter know, in their mind, that he screwed up when he went by the grandstands. I guess it shows that no matter who you are, you certainly aren't exempt from a bone headed move once in a while.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante
Last edited by Mud Packer; 5/4/09 at 4:25 PM.

5/4/09, 4:23 PM   #3
dirtyd6305

Interesting that Hunter has a past track record of stupid moves that really pissed people off. If I recall correctly a few years back Damion Gardner was ready beat his ass after a real stupid move at Kokomo in Sprint Week. Also last year he took out Josh Spencer in a heat at Haubstadt again during Sprint Week, and again left Jerry Spencer looking for some justice. Sounds like Hunter has earned that nickname "Head Hunter".

5/4/09, 4:32 PM   #4
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Interesting post John. I wasn't there but have chatted with someone else that was there and you echo his comments. Sometimes we should remember what goes around comes around.

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

5/4/09, 4:49 PM   #5
Jerry Shaw

I think that different standards are applied to different people no matter what kind of situation you're looking at. And that's not always a bad thing. Sometimes, but not always. Past history should account for something. A guy like Hunter, who is well liked my many (and deservedly so, as he has done some incredible things) yet who has a bit of a history of getting into into people when he's trying to hard and maybe not exercising the best judgement, will be judged a lot different, then let's say a Kevin Swindell, who tends to drive angry. The incident with Windom @ Kokomo, a few years ago might have been the ugliest situation I've ever seen. But, in fairness to him, he has settled down some in the last couple of seasons. What happens if Swindell were in Hunter's place, last night? My guess is that more than a few people would have been giving him a piece of their mind. Probably something more down the lines of the whole crowd wanting to string him up.

Probably the fair thing to do is look at each situation as an individual situation, using the driver's past history as the tie breaker, if a judgement call is required. Safety has to be each track's top priority (by far) and if someone is deemed to be dangerous, tracks or organizations shouldn't be afraid to sit a driver for a race, if that's what it takes to get an individual's attention.

Just my opinion.

Jerry

Winston Churchill
Last edited by Jerry Shaw; 5/4/09 at 5:00 PM.

5/4/09, 5:00 PM   #6
Hubie

I think it best to let the racers themselves settle it out. As fans we can cheer and jeer, but when it comes down to tearing up equipment and human health the racers themselves tend to do a far better job.

5/4/09, 5:08 PM   #7
Shawn Harper

Do any of you people have any idea the pressure that's on a driver to perform? Drivers are hired to win races and anything else is not acceptable! I agree making bad decisions is not one, but it's only a bad decision when a crash occurs and takes out a fellow competitor. If no crash happens then it becomes a great move. You have a split second to make a decision right or wrong. Sometimes if you dont take chances then you have no results and eventually no ride. Put your feet in there shoes, what would you do? Take chances and win some races or take a chance with your car owner and get fired. I know heat races don't pay a thing, but it sure does give the driver alot of momentum going into the feature. You people can boo this kid all you want, but until you drive a race car you will have no idea what goes through a drivers head during a race! From what I hear the track was a little rough anyway! I'm glad to hear the other driver is going to be ok. I hate to see anyone get hurt, but any driver is taking that chance when he races.

5/4/09, 5:26 PM   #8
Pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Now that we know that Ballou is in no immediate danger i have a question. Under normal circumstances people on here would have been screaming for Hunter's head after trying a move like that but I'm not sure I remember his name even being mentioned in all the commentary about the wreck. In my eyes Hunter got one hell of a bite coming off of 2 had a run but couldnt clear him, hit the rut down on the bottom of turn 3 and got into him. Seeing that Hunter is a rather well-liked driver, if it were someone else would the commentary have been different? I thought it was a racing deal, not a real smart move considering it was a heat race and no advantage in the feature would have been gained from it but a racing deal just the same. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
I was thinking the exact same thing Hoov.
If the rolls would have been reversed, I'm sure some of the post would not have been as positive

5/4/09, 6:51 PM   #9
ClaytonYeley

This is more of an observation than an opinion. First let me say that I like Hunter, Ballou, Loyet, and Kuhn. I have not seen anything about this until this post. When Brad Loyet had his situation in DuQuion everyone on here was trashing him like crazy. Could it be jealousy of the wealthy family? Here comes the opinion part, if that is the case which I’m afraid it is I don’t like it at all. Mr. Loyet worked hard to have a successful business and put his kid behind the wheel like any race fan would do. This just makes me think because it sounds like they were similar situations and everyone was after Brad Loyet’s head and not much has been said about Hunter. Let me state again I enjoy all the aforementioned drivers and their exciting driving styles.

5/4/09, 7:13 PM   #10
Duane Hancock

If it was Kevin behind the wheel and that happened, this board would have 100 replies about it by now. It just goes to show, the drivers that are racing real hard sometimes mess up and crash themself or someone else, no matter who it is, Hunter, Kevin, Robert, Stanbrough whoever, no one is perfect, just when some do it they get a bad rap and some people say, well its ok because its so and so. One person said Kevin drives angry, if every move you made, no matter how good or bad it was, and no matter how hard you tried every race and 80% people still bitched about you, you would look angry too.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo crash