IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Joining Midget Org a Waste of Money
3/2/09, 10:59 AM   #1
Joining Midget Org a Waste of Money
DonMoore10

I've joined a lot of organizations over the years. When I was a public skool teacher, I was always a member of the teacher's union (called an "association" in Ohio) and I'm currently associated with a health plan organization which calls for a monthly payment to stay in good standing. Now there is no question in my mind about the benefits of these two organizations. Both publish a detailed book that explains coverage and benefits from A to Z. In fact, I just received in the mail a few days ago a 45 page booklet explaining from top to bottom what my health insurance payments cover. No stones left unturned with these people.

Also in recent mail came a "plea for fees" from one of the midget orgs. Yeah, they want me to send them $XXX.XX to "register". OK so far. Now what am I "registering" for anyway? It says on the paper that I get to keep my same number. Well, my "number" hasn't changed since I bought my first race car in 2002. So that's not worth $XXX.XX. It also says that I get a provisional if I'm in the top ten in points but the org will deduct last place money from my winnings. Well, that leaves me out, I've never been in the top ten and that deduction is no bargain.

That's it on the paper. I can't find any other reasons to "register". Now at the bottom of the paper it says for more info go to the web site. Fair enough. The web site says that I'm eligible for "championship points". Uh....... what do I get with these points? Hum....... is this like the credit card points where I get a free dinner at Applebee's? Free vacation? Free flight miles? I always finish near the bottom of the "championship points" so I guess I'm out of luck there. By tradition, most orgs award handouts to the top ten. Who knows with this org. Doesn't say. I'm not writing a check for $XXX.XX for nothing. Maybe I'm still gonna get a bonus check in the mail. The web page also says I'm eligible for "contingency awards if requirements are met". *** is that? I haven't seen any award show up here either. Maybe that's yet to arrive also. I'll check the mail today. The last item says I get secondary insurance. Hmmmm again....... I already have a great health plan so I don't need any secondary health plan.

NOTE: My race team participated this past winter in the Tony Barhorst's indoor Rumble Series. No "plea for fees" to join, a feature payout that pays handsomely from 2nd on back and a great point fund that is published. No questions here about what's what. Great job, Tony!!!

So,that's it, race fans. I don't know. Not much info for $XXX.XX. This reminds me of the Kool-aid line. Apparently all the "championship points awards" and "contingency awards" are a big secret. So... $XXX.XX for what? Well... I don't know and that's why I'm not wasting my money on this.
Last edited by DonMoore10; 3/2/09 at 11:04 AM.

3/2/09, 11:09 AM   #2
Re: Joining Midget Org a Waste of Money
Seadog

Now that I know this, I will be able to sleep better tonight.:wink

3/2/09, 12:05 PM   #3
JShock66

Hmm ... sounds to me like they will support you if you support them ... with contingency awards, preferred car #, provisionals, insurance. etc.

Why don't you go run NASCAR if you want to be treated like your Health insurance company or teachers union. It's a midget organization ... they are not bringing in millions like your other examples.

A normal person would have simply contact the midget organization to get the answers ... maybe even attended a meeting. Then, got on the board and made sure everything is done correctly.

Now, who else can we dissect and show just how stupid they are ...

3/2/09, 12:13 PM   #4
DonMoore10

Yep, the perfect alternative for me is to form a NASCAR Cup team. No more checks for $XXX.XX for unknown purposes. Great suggestion. I'll check to see if one of those cars will fit in my 14x7 trailer.

3/2/09, 12:21 PM   #5
snoopy

:doh: "skool" from and ex teacher?

3/2/09, 12:28 PM   #6
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
:doh: "skool" from and ex teacher?
Knowing Don, that was probably intentional. Irony and all. (and it's an ex teacher, not and). Or was that intentional? :rolling
David.

3/2/09, 12:35 PM   #7
DonMoore10

Ovalmeister: Ur on the right track! hahaha No pun intended. I'm amazed at how these posts fly over the heads on here.... or maybe I shouldn't be amazed.....

3/2/09, 1:17 PM   #8
JShock66

I know it's been said before several times, but why don't you start your own midget organization and see just how many people run for you. Show everybody just how simple it is ...

You are a owner who runs a few select shows a year. Yet, you complain more than the hundreds of midget owners that actually run full time ... combined.

3/2/09, 2:17 PM   #9
DonMoore10

So far I haven't read one serious post about the topic. The new wave educational approach here in Ohio is to teach critical thinking rather than memorization. They've got a long way to go.

3/2/09, 2:45 PM   #10
JShock66

By serious, I take it you mean someone who agrees with your 100% negative way of thinking?

Good luck with that.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Joining Midget Org a Waste of Money