IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Duke Cook - Lions Club Park, Clermont, IN?
2/22/09, 2:43 PM   #1
Duke Cook - Lions Club Park, Clermont, IN?
Sandy Lowe

Does anyone know anything about a racetrack that used to be located at the Lions Club park in Clermont, IN? I googled the location and and checked out their website. It says they have a rodeo arena. Did they used to race on that arena?

I know on October 10, 1980 there was a three-quarter midget race held there. Was this the only TQ race? Larry Rice, Steve Chassey and Duke Cook were there. Duke can you help me out?

2/22/09, 2:49 PM   #2
Re: Duke Cook - Lions Club Park, Clermont, IN?
psullivan

Yes it is in Clermont it is South of Crawfordsville Road near town - Allan Brown does note that they rain TQ's here but says location unknown but guessed it was really at IRP - could have been - but there is clearly a Lion's Club Park in town and it is my guess this is where it happened - Brown notes it was a 1/10 track so it easily could have been on a rodeo grounds

2/22/09, 2:57 PM   #3
Sandy Lowe

Fast time that night was 10.695 seconds (Dave Blankenship) so a 1/10 mile track would make sense. By looking at the track records at the end of the 1981 season the only tracks to show quicker lap times were Huntingburg, IN (9.830 seconds in 1966) and the Indianapolis Coliseum (9.586 seconds in 1973). The date at the Indy Coliseum was on 3/11/73 so I would assume that to be an indoor race at the Pepsi Coliseum?
Last edited by Sandy Lowe; 2/22/09 at 3:00 PM. Reason: typo

2/22/09, 3:16 PM   #4
psullivan

Sandy,

Certainly USAC ran the Fairgrounds the following years - if we are on the same wave length I have a 1973 program - no date - but fast time was Ron Ambrose 9.586 - Dash won by Bobby Hamilton with Tom Kehoe winning the 50 lap main

2/22/09, 3:21 PM   #5
D.O.

It was in the rodeo stadium that Duke, Larry Rice and Steve Chassey? promoted a race there. It was at the Lion Club park in Clermont not IRP. I was there. Notice the big marker tires in the back ground? Those are the same ones I assembled & painted for the indoor races at the Indy Fairgrounds [Bill Hill] and then they went to the hoosierdome and have disappeared since.
:dologob:
Last edited by D.O.; 2/22/09 at 3:24 PM.

2/22/09, 3:43 PM   #6
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by psullivan View Post
Sandy,

Certainly USAC ran the Fairgrounds the following years - if we are on the same wave length I have a 1973 program - no date - but fast time was Ron Ambrose 9.586 - Dash won by Bobby Hamilton with Tom Kehoe winning the 50 lap main
Yes I have those winners along with a car count of 43. I didn't know the feature was 50 laps but I will make a note of it.

2/22/09, 4:06 PM   #7
Sandy Lowe

Has anybody heard of Outlaw Speedway in Fortville, IN? They ran TQ's there in 1981.

Another track I only see in the 1981 records is the Jay County Fairgrounds in Portland, IN. If you go to their website it looks the track is only used for horse racing now. This is the track where Terry Goff won his first UMRA feature (9/5/81).

2/22/09, 4:17 PM   #8
psullivan

1/5 Mile 1980-82 1/5 Mile located off US36/SR67 torn down 1983

2/22/09, 9:04 PM   #9
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe View Post
Has anybody heard of Outlaw Speedway in Fortville, IN? They ran TQ's there in 1981.

Another track I only see in the 1981 records is the Jay County Fairgrounds in Portland, IN. If you go to their website it looks the track is only used for horse racing now. This is the track where Terry Goff won his first UMRA feature (9/5/81).
Sandy,
I was at the 1981 race at the Jay county fairgrounds in Portland. If I recall correctly it was during the annual county fair. They didn't use the big horse track, they ran on a really small oval, set up just inside of the front stretch of the horse track. If you drove a vehicle on the horse track you would probably get shot. Those horse people are insane! I'm not kidding! That is probably why they have not been back there.
David.

2/22/09, 9:08 PM   #10
SUPERDUKE
Banned

D O WAS THERE ITS WAS THE LIONS CLUB! IT WAS IN CHASSEY'S BACK YARD!!!!!!!:applaud:

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Duke Cook - Lions Club Park, Clermont, IN?