IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How young is too young?
1/13/09, 7:32 AM   #1
How young is too young?
Danny Burton

http://www.openwheelracers.com/Janua...e%20report.htm

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

1/13/09, 8:04 AM   #2
Re: How young is too young?
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Nice Article Danny but I've seen most of these youngsters driving responsibly. Starting slow and respectful and then rising to the limits of their abilities.

Whitt, Gullick, BC, Briscoe, Beauchamp, Burton and a host of others, Were there mistakes along the way? Yeah but I really cant name times when these guys started out that they intentionally did something.

There are a couple and the shame of it is, They'll be driving like that when their 40 or until they get hurt or their butts kicked and then I still see one or two of them doing the same thing.

1/13/09, 8:16 AM   #3
cecil98

16 with a valid drivers license is too young, however, I would accept that as a promotor. Any parent that gets a child 15 and under maimed or killed goes to jail if I'm a prosecutor in that county. I would prefer 18, and even 18 to get into the pits but, that $25-$30 per pop would be just too enticing for me, or any other promotor, to walk away from so, bring'em all in, 0 to 100 years.

Just my opinion, and I've stated it on here many times before.

1/13/09, 8:42 AM   #4
racephoto1

Once one of these youngsters gets seriously injured or killed, the insurance companies will settle the question.

1/13/09, 8:55 AM   #5
Al Soran

Great article Danny, and it touched on something that I (and I'm sure many others) battle with at this time every year. I used to race myself. I bought into the whole thing hook line and sinker as a kid watching sprints at Marion Speedway in Marion, IL, then warmed planks at Godfrey and Granite City until 1988 when I first strapped into my '71 Buick Skylark bomber. Many years later, I finally got into a sprint car. It was pure joy. I'm older now, but right about now, every year, without fail, no matter how hard I try to fight it, I check the classifieds, and come within a heartbeat of buying another car. My 42 year old mind says I can do it despite the complaints of my 42 year old body. But more than that, my mind (up until this point, and it's a battle) wins by trumping the thought with the fact that I am a husband, and a father of two boys who need me more than I feel I need a to drive a sprint car. I understand your points regarding the young guys racing sprint cars, but way more than that, I question the guy who has a family who counts on him to bring home a paycheck so they can have food and shelter, and perhaps a college fund, or even a real vacation, but still straps in and risks it all on a Saturday night. I know what it is like to have that dream, I lived it, loved it, and still want it. But it in no way can be argued to be worth missing out on your kids' future, or risking letting them down because of that "need" to race. So perhaps the arguement could also be approached from the angle of "how old is too old?"

1/13/09, 9:47 AM   #6
cecil98

I know what it is like to have that dream, I lived it, loved it, and still want it. But it in no way can be argued to be worth missing out on your kids' future, or risking letting them down because of that "need" to race. So perhaps the arguement could also be approached from the angle of "how old is too old?" ...Al Soran

Al you are correct and many do it. That's what got me out of it completely in 1989.
I had an 8 year old, a 3 year old and a decent job. Besides, taking food off of the table and gifts from under the tree to keep a race car going, the risks were too high. I very much wanted to watch my kids grow up and be part of their lives. However, the "future" cuts both ways. What future is there if I quit but then, turn around and put my 13 or 14 year old in an 800HP sprinter car and kill him or put him in a wheelchair? Nobody here is arguing the physical ability of a 13 year old child to go fast. It's the thought process of a child that age that is eventually going to get us in trouble. They have no fear, no sense of mortality and no understanding of the value of a dollar, especially if Daddy's wealthy. That's why we don't let them drive an automobile on the street until they're 16. And at 16+ they have the highest accident rate of any demographic on the road. I don't wish any harm to any of these kids and for the most part we've all been lucky. It's just insane IMHO.
Last edited by cecil98; 1/13/09 at 9:51 AM.

1/13/09, 10:00 AM   #7
SUPERDUKE
Banned

I THINK YOU SHOULD BE 18 TO DRIVE OR BE IN THE PITS!!!!!! GROW UP BEFORE YOU START PLAYING WITH FIRE! I CAN'T BELIVE INSURANCE COMPANYS LET THESE KIDS RACE! NOT EVERY KID GOING TO BE THE NEXT JEFF GORDON!:angry-smiley-007:

1/13/09, 12:30 PM   #8
riskybrisky5

Danny nice article. I agree in a lot of ways but also disagree at the same time. My opinions have also not changed since my son is one of the young drivers. I have said for at least the last four or five years that is not the age but the mentallity of the driver as well as the father and crew. I have stated that each track should have a governing board made up of veteran drivers, car owners and track officials. You choose the board by picking people you know will make honest sound decisions. Any rookie that shows up to a race track is required to start on the tail of every event. The board watches these inividuals and when the board feels they have proved to be able to race and use their head. Then they are aloud to start in their rightfull position. If after that they start running over there head they are warned if it happens again back to the tail until the board moves them back up. Same goes for any driver even if not a rookie. If any driver starts running over people with no respect for life or equipment they are warned. If the continue they are sent to the tail if it still continues barred for two weeks of competition. I really think this would help more than anything. There are many capable people for this board.

But to me the biggest problem is the drug issue. We all know they are competing every week at our tracks.People on drugs do not make good decisions. To the best thing that can happen to sprint car racing is drug testing when you go through the gate. I may sound like a terrible parent but I have already told Chase that as long as he is racing I am going to give drug testing at home. He also knows if he ends up trying drugs and I catch him his racing career is over with Briscoe racing. But he also knows that I love him and that I will help him beat any drug problem. If after help and would prove to be off drugs he would be welcome back to Briscoe racing. But always welcome to the Briscoe family. Like I said the drug issue scares me more than the age factor.

Danny I respect you so much as a person and i no way is my comment saying that you are wrong. Or am I upset with you. I just want you to know that because sometimes words typed do not come out like it would if we were speaking face to face. If we were face to face it would just be a discussion and on boards it can come off as an argument. This is not an argument just a discussion. See you at the HARF banquet.
Last edited by riskybrisky5; 1/13/09 at 12:35 PM.

1/13/09, 4:28 PM   #9
Biro 22

I'm biten my tongue so hard I think the tip just came off.

1/13/09, 5:03 PM   #10

Couple of thoughts here, one i wish kids would have to wait longer to strap in. 16 minimum is what i would like to see, but know it will never happen. Boards are a good idea and would work a few tracks, but at others the parents would just buy there way in. I fully agree with your statements on drugs and aplaud u for that. Chase may disagree but will respect you for it. On the comments about family men not being able to race, I will agree with you on the point that you should only race if you have the means, I.E. be able to pay your bills and eat. But I think its a bit xtreme to say they should not race because they have a family. I know 2 people killed lat year doing harmless things with there family. 1 guy was walking into an event with his family, when he steped in a pot hole and fell into the wheels of a trailer. Enough about that. This will always be a tough subject. I do wonder though, if there were rules inplace for kids to be 16 or 18 to run a sprint car, would we see smaller classes become steeping stones again?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > How young is too young?