IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Andrew Update #43
12/24/08, 1:32 PM   #1
Andrew Update #43
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

It seems to get more difficult each time I try to do an update, but here we go. When this whole ordeal started sixteen months ago we were praying for a miracle. Andrew's survival was dependent upon so many things that I can't imagine this is classified as anything other than a miracle. I guess all I can say is do you believe in miracles? I can now say that I certainly do believe.

We spent time with Andrew this past weekend and I am happy to report that the little guy is doing very well. In looking back to the holiday season last year, it amazes me where he is today compared to last year. Last December he was in the middle of proton radiation while also enduring chemotherapy and we really didn't know how bad he must have felt. With the chemo ending in October he has progressed very well in a short period of time.

His energy level is exceptionally high and he has made great strides since starting "school" as he calls it. He used to be rather reserved when meeting new people but not anymore. It is quite understandable since for over a year the only interaction outside of his immediate family was with doctors, nurses and medical personnel.

He has some procedures coming up after the first of the year to try to help with his constant aspirations. As I have mentioned before, his left vocal cord is paralyzed and it doesn't sufficiently seal. They are planning to do an injection to thicken the vocal cord in hopes that will allow it to seal off the moisture that is getting into his lungs. If that doesn't work, they plan on going in and moving the vocal cord to the right. I still can't imagine how they can do this?

They are continuing with a low dosage of different types of drugs given orally to help keep the AT/RT from returning. Since he is missing the cancer suppressant gene in chromosome #22 he is always going to be susceptible to a reoccurrence. He also has the next MRI scheduled for January 5th, so again the clock is ticking. I hate this feeling more than anything until the results are in and we know everything is okay.

We still continue to remain rather guarded since this dreaded disease really has no cure. AT/RT patients are struggling everyday and even though we don't really know them, we feel somewhat connected to these kids due to the relative rarity of this type of cancer. It is a rather close knit group and they follow along in trying to best determine the next protocol and what successes others have seen. It is difficult to get too high knowing that other than the grace of God, we could be in their position.

I am again saying thank you for your continued prayers, well wishes and positive encouragement. The little guy certainly can't have too many prayers. For the folks who have sent cards and/or gifts, we certainly didn't expect it but appreciate your generosity which has been overwhelming. Andrew seems to think that the mailman, UPS & Fed Ex delivery personnel only come to see him.:O: Our journey continues and we appreciate your interest in following along. The Padfield family is so blessed this holiday season. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. I hope to see you at the races in 2009.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

12/24/08, 10:37 PM   #2
Re: Andrew Update #43
tjtomthumb

Mud Packer, it's great to hear the little fella is doing so good. I've been keeping up on your updates and hope you will keep them coming. When you see him again give him a big Christmas hug for me and we hope everything goes ok the first of the year. :thumb We hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

12/27/08, 5:04 PM   #3
IndyBound

Mike, following along on Andrew's journey for the past sixteen months he has remained in my thoughts and prayers and continues to remain in my prayers for a positive MRI on Jan. 5th. I wish the Padfield family a Belated Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Patti

12/27/08, 5:34 PM   #4
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Mike, thanks for the update! It is great to hear Andrew is doing well. Please keep us posted.

12/27/08, 10:54 PM   #5
pletchfan

Mike, thanks once again for another update. Pleased to hear he is doing so well. Children are so resilient. God is so faithful and Andrew is another one of his miracles. Will be praying for a good report in January. Will be checking the board waiting for your update. Belated Merry Christmas to you and all of your family.

12/28/08, 10:36 AM   #6
Pat O'Connor Fan

Mike, we just want you to know that Kim and I think about Andrew and his family often, but particularly over the Chistmas holiday.
He remains in our prayers.

12/28/08, 2:07 PM   #7
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Thank you for the update! What a nice Christmas blessing! I hope 2009 is a very Happy year for you all!
I am still praying and will continue!!!
God bless you all!!

12/28/08, 8:53 PM   #8
Flatrightrear

Mike,
May God bless you, Andrew and your whole family with nothing but good news in 2009.
Tom

1/5/09, 2:47 AM   #9
IndyBound

Mike, Andrew is in my thoughts and prayers this evening. I am hoping all goes well with his MRI tomorrow. Keep the faith grandpa!

God Bless your family,

Patti

1/5/09, 10:04 AM   #10
pletchfan

Praying this morning for Andrew and all the family. Let us know as soon as you know something.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Andrew Update #43