IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > As the dust settles
7/31/22, 12:22 PM   #1
As the dust settles
flagboy55

As the dust settles from ISW22, I figured I would look at IOW and hear something negative about the week. The only negatives I saw was weather interference. I’m of the opinion that it was a wonderful week of racing, as good as it gets. Congratulations to JG on the rocker and to all the winners during the week. I wish they would’ve rescheduled Terre Haute for today, but after the last Sunday rescheduled race, I figured it wouldn’t happen. The last time they did that was the inspiration I needed to go to Haubstadt for my only visit.

7/31/22, 12:46 PM   #2
Re: As the dust settles
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

That could have possibly ran but with the rain they got and the forecast. I get it. Would have been interesting to see where Bacon would have ended up if he'd finished Gas City. Im guessing secoond in ISW points but who knows. Nacho Man still beat the BallouDozer in both ISW and National points as they were tied going in.

Gotta hand it to JG. Oh there was a wheel or two at Bloomington but the only thing he hit was the Rocking Chair. Looks good on him.

Ballou, No doubt class of the field at Haubstadt

Bacon was class of the field at LPS and and still got beat. Very good at Circle City too.

Cummins, Wow at Bloomington. strong at others as well.

Burg, I got the timeline. First heat pushed at 7:02 Feature was on track at 8:22 by comparison first heat at Circle City pushed at 8:09

I think all the tracks did well. I hope Cottle is OK. There was a couple suprise good runners that aren't regulars with USAC. Doney was one. Harris . couple others.

Hope everyone gets back to their abodes in one piece and rested up.

Thats a wrap on ISW 22

7/31/22, 2:47 PM   #3
interpreter66

Great week of racing,really impressed with Briggs Danner ,from eastern storm thru ISW ,can’t wait to see what the future holds for him.

7/31/22, 4:10 PM   #4
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by interpreter66 View Post
Great week of racing,really impressed with Briggs Danner ,from eastern storm thru ISW ,can’t wait to see what the future holds for him.
Incredible job by this young driver. His first time to compete on some of these tracks (maybe most) and he makes EVERY feature of ISW! He was fast, clean, and consistent. Great job!

The other driver that surprised was Dalton Stevens. He seemed to get faster with every stop in ISW. IMO, someone to watch in the future.

7/31/22, 5:44 PM   #5
Pancho Stapp

Much respect for him. Super solid week and glad he came to ISW. Glad Brody Roa came and took a shot as well. Between musical chairs in Cactus Jacks car, the big flips, new track records in qualifying, GC-Ballou-Bacon-Kung Fu, and the racing it was what makes ISW so awesome.

7/31/22, 6:15 PM   #6
yeleyfan76

[QUOTE=Charles Nungester;555641]That could have possibly ran but with the rain they got and the forecast. I get it. Would have been interesting to see where Bacon would have ended up if he'd finished Gas City. Im guessing secoond in ISW points but who knows. Nacho Man still beat the BallouDozer in both ISW and National points as they were tied going in.

-I really hope Ballou makes a dozer shirt this year and the guy driving it is eating nachos! Maybe even toss a box of Kleenex to the fans once in a while.

Burg, I got the timeline. First heat pushed at 7:02 Feature was on track at 8:22 by comparison first heat at Circle City pushed at 8:09

-Difference is we saw an A main at Circle City! Paid full fare both nights but got zero to show for it at the Burg. I know that is how it goes before your under britches get bunched. If you think a show at Lawrenceburg could be run that efficiently with no threat of rain I’ll call you out every time. Been there enough to know.They tried but once again nada on an A main. What you should highlight is the track prep or lack there of at both places. Circle City had a guy on a bobcat pushing the stones/dirt around the infield during the afternoon. Don’t understand all of that effort when more water could have been worked into the surface during that time. The burg has this very large water truck with monster tires on it doing laps spritzing water at a rate of two gallons per hour. I was standing at the backstretch gate to the pits when this was going on. You can get more soaked at the vegetable aisle of the food store under the misters. Can’t water the track with a garden hose.

-ISW never disappoints with its intensity and drama. With a little time off maybe tempers will settle a little. Smackdown is upon us in about a month and for those of us who are there it will be intense the whole three days. Great time to be a sprint car fan. Hard to believe it’s August already.

-Briggs Danner qualified for every nite of ISW. First time at all of these places. Some will say luck others recognize ability. The kid is good and his accomplishment should be commended. I’ll see him run three nites this week coming up and I’m sure confidence is high.

- It was nice to meet Pancho Stapp at GC on nite one. Kudos again to your 87 year old dad for coming out, no excuses

- 55 enjoy your races this week at IMS and as always thx for the frosty beverages

7/31/22, 7:24 PM   #7
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

And a good time was had by all….

Gas City certainly kicked things off in style complete with a Cottle win, a drop kick and a driver on his butt on the track. It was the only appearance for the full racing family. Glad we were able to spend time together at GC.

Certainly disappointed to not get the feature in at Lawrenceburg but the food at The Lawrenceburger & The Riverwatch were delish. Also, finally got to meet the world famous ASQ!! We waited out the rain visiting with good friends and sharing many, many laughs and stories.

After the Burg, the weather turned cooler and I found myself wearing sleeves at Circle City!! Mitchell Moles grabbed his 3rd consecutive quick time and he was impressive throughout the week.

Took a few days off (watched Kokomo on Flo) then finished strong with LPS, Bloomington and TSS. Huge crowds at all 3 places which was good to see. Spent lots of good times with friends and saw some damn good racing.

Always a little sad when ISW ends because it’s back to reality for those of us who work. 🙋🏻*♀️😩. We had a great time, had some Kodak moments and made lifelong memories. We even came up with an idea for a new YouTube channel - see Chief Wahoo or Rpracing1 for details.

Car counts were high and crowds were big, which is a good sign for racing. Speedy recovery wishes for Swanson and Cottle. Both took nasty rides!

Everyone enjoy your next racing adventure and make the most of today, because tomorrow is not promised. 🏁
Last edited by wildman92; 7/31/22 at 7:28 PM.

7/31/22, 8:08 PM   #8
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman92 View Post
And a good time was had by all….

Certainly disappointed to not get the feature in at Lawrenceburg but the food at The Lawrenceburger & The Riverwatch were delish. Also, finally got to meet the world famous ASQ!! We waited out the rain visiting with good friends and sharing many, many laughs and stories.

🏁
You know if you go to Dunkin Donuts,and tell them you know me,and give them $3.00 they will give you a cup of coffee! I used to see you all over the place when I used to go racing,just never actually met. Good meeting up with both of you,and I got to see many others while I was there.

I was surprised when I pulled in and didnt see Irvin King,a long time friend from West Virginia. As it turned out he had motorhome problems. I told him the other day if he needed anything,just call as he was being towed to Indy. Wednesday night he did call asking if I could weld a patch on a pipe for him. I told him I could after work on Thursday,then later got thinking to get him on the road quicker,I should see if another friend could weld a patch on.

So I asked a guy at work thats good buddy's with this guy,and he told him to tell Irvin to bring it over. I called Irvin and told him who to see,and they got the patch welded on so Irvin could be on his way much quicker than if he had to wait for me. Probably the best part was our friend charged Irvin the same price as I would have......Nothing. He said he was happy to help out friends of friends that were a long ways from home and broke down.

On Friday morning I stopped by the guys shop and thanked him myself for looking after one of my racing friends....

7/31/22, 9:55 PM   #9
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman92 View Post
We even came up with an idea for a new YouTube channel - see Chief Wahoo or Rpracing1 for details.
CCH TV presents episode #1 staring the King and Queen of Bloomington ( Dan and Jen ). Pretty sure we’d be banned after our 1st episode.

Great time all week. Memories made for sure! Speedy recovery for Swanson and Cottle. New boiler plates in turns 3&4 at TSS paid off. Big thanks to the Helfrich’s for continuing to improve on safety. Looking forward to seeing MSCS @ Red Hill next Saturday. Hope all had safe travels

7/31/22, 11:14 PM   #10
bart

This was my first Sprint Week, but not my first USAC sprint race. I drove up from Texas. Got to see two (Gas City & Circle City) of the four races I planned on attending. Even got some work in during the day. Maybe next year I can stay longer.

Bart

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > As the dust settles