IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Powers Welding / King Custom Machine # 51 Sprinter
11/6/08, 8:49 PM   #1
Powers Welding / King Custom Machine # 51 Sprinter
Rpracing1

My wifes uncle is Bill Powers, who along with Bill King ,co-owned the King/Powers #51 Sprinter back in the late 70's thru the mid 80's. I was just looking for any old good stories, who drove for them, were they successful, type of cars, where the ran, kind of equipment, etc. on their team. It is kind of tough getting information out of Bill sometimes. Thanks in advance for all of your info.

11/6/08, 9:58 PM   #2
Re: Powers Welding / King Custom Machine # 51 Sprinter
Joey Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
My wifes uncle is Bill Powers, who along with Bill King ,co-owned the King/Powers #51 Sprinter back in the late 70's thru the mid 80's. I was just looking for any old good stories, who drove for them, were they successful, type of cars, where the ran, kind of equipment, etc. on their team. It is kind of tough getting information out of Bill sometimes. Thanks in advance for all of your info.
Your wife must be Shelly.

11/6/08, 10:15 PM   #3
Rpracing1

My wife is Mary, Shellys cousin.

11/6/08, 11:36 PM   #4
Joey Woods

I don't know much, I do believe Bill Powers made the first ever offset wheel.

11/7/08, 12:12 AM   #5
Rpracing1

I think he said they were runner up one year in USAC points. All I know for sure is that Powers did not care to run second. He says if you ran second, you lost, and that was not worth a s%#t!! I also think they were one of the first teams to run a lot of titanium engine parts.

11/7/08, 8:19 AM   #6
Dr.UT

Some of the driver's that I witnessed in the 51 car were: Jack Hewitt (won Hulman Classic in it); Rich Vogler; Larry "Buckwheat" Gates; Eddie Leavitt; to name a few. They had a mechanic/wrench nicknamed "Doc"

11/7/08, 9:20 AM   #7
dalemo

Larry Gates is restoring the #53 silver crown car (1982) that these guys were involved with. Lowell Schmidt owned it. If you know Larry call him he would love to show it to you, its an awesome car, with a Sam Jones motor in it. if anyones got any pictures of this car or Larry, I'd love to see them

11/7/08, 1:03 PM   #8
smith19

I remember buckweat in the car. I believe it was white with red lettering. He ran some usac races with it.

11/7/08, 1:21 PM   #9
Al Soran

I may have a picture from an old program of Chuck Amati in what might be the 51 car you are talking about at Granite City. If someone who knows how to get pictures on here will send me their e-mail address, I'll send it to you to post, or if someone thinks they can tell this computer illiterate how to do it, I'll give it a try.

11/7/08, 7:06 PM   #10
old timer

I know Larry Martin drove it and later drove my #15.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Powers Welding / King Custom Machine # 51 Sprinter