IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Who's Your Hero?
2/24/09, 10:12 AM   #21
Re: Who's Your Hero?
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Ray Kenens, Don Walker, Ron Fisher, Jim Elliott
Hey Russ, Don Walker drove to Lawrenceburg every week from Kokomo (1980-82) to sell fuel for me when I was promoting Lawrenceburg. He's a great guy. Is Don still with us? I have no idea how old he would be now.

2/24/09, 10:23 AM   #22
SUPERDUKE
Banned

TROY RUTTMAN PARNELLI JONES JIM MC WHITY JOHNNY RUTERFORD BOB KING RED RENNER JACKIE HOLMES SPIDER WEBB HOUSTON BUNDY DUKE NALON BILL VUKOVICH PAT OCONNER TED HORN!:respect::applaud:

2/24/09, 10:38 AM   #23
LFR17

Poncho Carter Jan Operman Bob Kinser

2/24/09, 10:40 AM   #24
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg View Post
My mom and dad and anyone who helped keep this country free.

On the racing front; A J Foyt, Johnny Rutherford, Tony Solimino, Mel Kenyon, Gary Bettenhausen, Ted Horn, Charlie Peck, Ted Hartley, Jim Hurtubise, Jess Chandler, Larry Dickson, Jimmy Davies, Chuck Rodee...and practically every racer I've seen race.
Tony Solomito! Gregg, back in 1980, a guy by the name of Bob Jones brought a Lefler car to Lawrenceburg without a driver. I had never driven a sprinter before but, I somehow talked him into letting me drive it. It was a $1000 to win 50 lapper. Well, I didn't have a helmet or a suit. All I had was a blue denim jumpsuit and a guy by the name of Tim Martini had a helmet in his car and loaned it to me. Tony Solomito saw me driving with the blue jean suit and brought a fire suit over for me to wear the rest of the night. Great guy and a d@mn good race car driver! There's a pic of that car and me wearing Tony's suit at http://www.moletrapper.com/clinic.html scroll down (Orange #34)
Last edited by cecil98; 2/24/09 at 3:26 PM.

2/24/09, 10:41 AM   #25
onthegas7j

Race Count This Year: 48
Race Count Last Year: 31

Ive had the pleasure of meeting alot of the older generation... I met Mr. Kenyon at IRP i wanna say it was 97' i was like 8 or 9 years old and me and my dad went over for pole day and he was selling copies of his book, he signed it and shook me and my dads hand, nice guy... I still have that book... and i wanna say i was 3 or 4 my dad still has a picture of me sitting in tom bigelows arca car he ran at duquoin that year... I remeber i was 7 back the macarena was all the rage doing it with Tony Elliot and DD in the beer tent at duquoin, and I'll always remember eric gordons old weiner dog he took with him to every race

2/24/09, 10:41 AM   #26
hogan6

Norman Wilbur Jones

2/24/09, 10:54 AM   #27
HarleyHoney

No question about it for me. Pat Patrick.....

2/24/09, 11:11 AM   #28
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyHoney View Post
No question about it for me. Pat Patrick.....
U.E Pat Patrick of Indy car ownership? or, the Legendary Pat Patrick from Sayler Park (Cincinnati) Ohio? He was a dominant late model driver in the region.

2/24/09, 11:16 AM   #29
Fisher79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
Hey Russ, Don Walker drove to Lawrenceburg every week from Kokomo (1980-82) to sell fuel for me when I was promoting Lawrenceburg. He's a great guy. Is Don still with us? I have no idea how old he would be now.
Yes, Don is still very much alive.

Heroes? Overall, anyone who chases their dreams. In racing? My grandpa Ron, my dad, my uncle Donnie and my late uncle Scott. Dick Gaines, Bubby Jones, Jan Opperman. And lately, SUPERDUKE....

2/24/09, 11:20 AM   #30
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

All the brave men and women now and yesteday who ever fought to keep us free.

Racing wise? Standouts to me were/are Butch Wilkerson. Dick and Dickie Gaines. Tony Solimito, Johnny Krebs, Milburn. Staab, Wolfgang, Shuman and a host of others who's names aren't on the tip of my tounge

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Who's Your Hero?