IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500 tonight 8 pm!
5/29/11, 11:58 PM   #21
Re: Little 500 tonight 8 pm!
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Chris Windom passed Eric Gordon with 5 laps to go to win the 63rd rendition of the Payless Little 500 at Anderson Speedway. Windom survived after a one lap penalty for passing the pace car going into the pits for his final pit stop.

Gordon had taken the lead when Aaron Pierce spun while leading with 44 laps left. Gordon held on to finish second and Shane Hollingsworth finished a very respectable third after spinning early on in the race.

Chet Fillip finished fourth and Ryan Litt rounded out the top 5. It was a fairly clean race with a flip by Tom Patterson bringing out the only red flag of the night. He was okay and the race resumed with a few cautions but no serious accidents.

A nice crowd returned to the speedway after the postponement due to rain on Saturday night. One of the more enjoyable Little 5's that I have witnessed.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

4 members like this post: FishBurger, Hubie, IndyBound, SUPERDUKE
5/30/11, 12:54 AM   #22
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

He said this was the biggest win he has ever had!.
Posted via Mobile Device

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonwing View Post
BradKuhn fan - Thanks for letting me know that Shane ran 3rd and congrats to Windom.
your welcome.
Posted via Mobile Device

5/30/11, 12:58 AM   #23
racerdog45

just got back from the Little 500, very good race, clean for the most part. Glad they are getting better car counts and it is making for a little better quality in the feild, still was 2-3 cars that really had no business being on the track and were in the way most of the night. Nice to see a first time winner, Eric will be back and win #10 and more. Just glad to have a full day with NO RAIN....forgot what it was like it seemed...

5/30/11, 2:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerdog45 View Post
just got back from the Little 500, very good race, clean for the most part. Glad they are getting better car counts and it is making for a little better quality in the feild, still was 2-3 cars that really had no business being on the track and were in the way most of the night. Nice to see a first time winner, Eric will be back and win #10 and more. Just glad to have a full day with NO RAIN....forgot what it was like it seemed...
I don’t post on here often because quite frankly, there’s not much on here that I feel that strongly about. But you sir, win my award for the most ignorant post of the year.

This was the fastest 500 field in history. The time it took to make the race was until recently a time that would have put you into the front couple of rows. And to imply that anyone in the field “didn’t belong” is just ludicrous. This is a brutal race that takes it toll on man and machine more than any race I know. And many teams are on a different agenda. Some of the teams know they can’t out run other teams and they just want to survive until the end. There are many teams that running to the end is almost as important as winning.

As someone that you probably feel didn’t belong, I was amazed how well the less experienced teams did. Jason Cox did the best job I’ve seen a rookie do in a long time. I only hope that I get to see him run more before the “next level” takes him away. And from what I saw, nobody was running out of control. Even my accident was just a racing incident that involved much more experienced drivers.

So before you post again about somebody not belonging at this race, here’s my challenge to you.

Go out to the Post Road Recreation Center in Indy. Get ten of your buddies and rent some go-carts at the slick track out back. Then run 100 laps without stopping. Hit your marks every time. Don’t hit anything. Don’t spin out. Don’t bounce off another cart.

Then when you’re done and when all your buddies are laughing it up, go off by yourself and picture doing that with three times the drivers at five times the laps and five times the speed. Then maybe you can get a small taste of what it takes to run that race.

Then I suggest you do one of two things. Either post an apology to the drivers in the race or build your own car and get out there and show us how it’s done.

I’m done now. I’ve got to take another couple of Tylenol and figure out how to unload my car. If you want to discuss this in person, my phone number is (574)532-7747 and my e-mail address is tpater11@hotmail.com

Tom Paterson
Sprint Car #11
32nd in the 2011 Little 500 and darn proud of it!

5/30/11, 3:23 PM   #25
lovindirt

Anyone have the complete run down of the starting and finishing order of the race. Jeff

5/30/11, 3:27 PM   #26
SC90

I attended last night's race. I thought every competitor did a great job, and all 33 cars that started ran a clean race and had a chance to win. It was one of the most competitive fields I have seen at the Little 500 in a long time.

Sharon Bank
USAC Silver Crown #90

5/30/11, 3:29 PM   #27
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovindirt View Post
Anyone have the complete run down of the starting and finishing order of the race. Jeff
http://www.andersonspeedway.com/litt...sults_2011.htm

Winston Churchill

1 member likes this post:
5/30/11, 3:54 PM   #28
Dave Argabright

Tom Paterson, I nominate you for the most outstanding observation in recent years. You perfectly sum up what it means to get out there and compete.

In these days of easy electronic communication, I often bite my tongue when I read comments from people. Yes, people on the sidelines are passionate and they love the sport, but sometimes they have no idea of which they speak. When I helped Speedy Bill Smith write his autobiography, he said something quite profound: When he retired from officially owning a race car, he suddenly realized how easy everything looks from the stands. No truer words have ever been spoken. But I also believe that most racing people don't mean their words to be hurtful; they just don't realize what they're saying.

If somebody has the guts and sweat and gumption (and yes, money) to put a car together, he deserves a chance to race. This year's Little 500 featured a top-notch field, maybe the strongest in the history of the event. To make the race was a major accomplishment and something to be extremely proud of. Nobody--NOBODY--can say the people on the race track last night didn't belong.

As an aside to Tom: I was relieved to see you crawl out of your car last night. That was a rough ride and I was more than a little concerned as I watched everything unfold. Thankfully you are okay, and I hope you can sort through the bent stuff and find a way to put another car together. The sport needs guys like you, people who race for the joy and passion and competition.

5/30/11, 6:09 PM   #29
Tony Barhorst

Racer 45 is a good race fan and is a positive guy. Even though his comment in question is not on target in this case, his posts are 99% good, so don't be too hard on him here. Comments like his are going to come out in a free forum. I apprecate Tom's post very much because it gives you the competitor's point of view. I really enjoy the Little 500 for the diversity of drivers it has. Congrats to all that made the race, and thanks for your effort.

The quote from Teddy Roosevelt that Jerry Shaw posts all the time says it all for drivers, owners,promoters and all really who risk in business sports and life..Thanks

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.

Theodore Roosevelt
Last edited by Tony Barhorst; 5/30/11 at 7:17 PM.

2 members like this post: PJ Wright
5/30/11, 8:22 PM   #30
racerdog45

I'll stand by what I said, there were THREE cars that got lapped on an average of every 10 laps and they RARELY heeded the move over and often drifted up on the straights and more than once messed up a good race. Sorry if for some reason my personal opinion (and that of several others who were with me and sitting around me) upsets you, but from the outside it is much easier to see what goes on than from the infield. And yes I agree it takes guts to race, and hard work, I have done so at a couple points during my life. I have also worked on crews, been an official (including one year for Mr. Barhorst), helped my good friends Rodger and Linda at Winchester for years and helped raise many dollars for injured drivers so I truly love the sport and respect the drivers, crews and others who love the sport......... by the way Mr. Patterson I am glad you walked away from a very scary wreck and wish you luck for the future....

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500 tonight 8 pm!