IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kyle Hamilton has sights set on Little 500 crown
5/19/15, 5:22 AM   #1
Kyle Hamilton has sights set on Little 500 crown
Task Force

Kyle Hamilton has sights set on Little 500 crown
By Zach Tasker

The world's most prestigious pavement sprint car race will be held this Saturday May 23 at Anderson Speedway in Indiana. A true spectacle like none other in short track racing, 33 cars will tackle the tight 1/4-mile paved oval high-banked confines for 500 laps of constant action. Danville, Indiana native Kyle Hamilton is one of the drivers looking to etch his name into the record books as one of the winners of the Payless Little 500 presented by UAW-GM.

"The Professor" made his debut in last year’s edition and came away with an impressive 5th place finish. "Racing the Little 500 for Beast is a dream come true for me. It is something you work your whole career for. You always strive to be in quality equipment and with Bob (East) you know you have the best car. I have raced for my parents for years and worked out of our shop so to finally have the opportunity to let them enjoy the race as fans is really cool for me. I was happy with our run last year but it wasn't the type of race that I like to run. We got blatantly taken out on lap 11 which put me to the tail where I had to race much more aggressively than normal to salvage a good finish. I'd like to be able to run with the front pack from the start and challenge for a win at the end rather than coming from behind."

Hamilton, who has a mixed schedule this year of USAC Silver Crown and select national midget races to compliment his lone sprint car start of the season, knows you have to be smart in an endurance race like this and can't hustle it like a 30 lap midget race. "The Little 500 is definitely tough because of the length. You always want to push the pace when you are used to fast paced midget races and it is hard to conserve. With that being said, I believe the complexion of this race has changed. There are young guys in well prepared cars that can hold a pretty quick pace for 500 laps. I am prepared to go whatever pace it takes to run up front. Obviously a win is the ultimate goal of this race but I don't feel like it is necessarily a win or bust situation. But, I'm focusing on a win and I'll figure out any other scenarios as they come up."

The 2012 USAC Silver Crown Series rookie of the year will be behind the wheel of the #5 Beast/Klatt Enterprises Chevy "It's a great feeling walking into the pits knowing that you have one of the most knowledgeable people in the open wheel industry calling the shots on your car along with a crew that has years of experience. Terry Klatt has owned sprint cars for years and loves to win. When guys like that believe in you and trust in your abilities, it allows me as a driver to be so much more focused on the task at hand. It's an honor."

Kyle won't be the only member of the Hamilton family in the race as younger brother Nick will be racing in the #12 Powell Racing machine.

The $25,000 to win extravaganza begins on Tuesday and Wednesday with two days of practice. Thursday May 21 is Pole Day followed by Bump Bay on Friday May 22. The 67th annual Pay Less Little 500 presented by UAW-GM takes the green flag at 8pm on Saturday May 23. Tickets are still available, visit www.andersonspeedway.com for ordering information. The event, which is the only non-wing event on the Must See Racing Xtreme Sprint Series schedule will be broadcast on MAV TV to air on a later date to be announced. To follow the Hamilton brothers progress throughout the week like Kyle Hamilton Racing on Facebook.

(photo credit: TJslideways.com)
Attached Images
kh little 500.jpg (49.3 KB, 24 views)

2 members like this post: mrsstanfill, sp33dy
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kyle Hamilton has sights set on Little 500 crown