IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > WoO At Kokomo and Haubstadt
2/23/21, 7:54 PM   #11
Re: WoO At Kokomo and Haubstadt
jim goerge

[showQUOTE=JarrettFarms73;537373]Due to the number of cars that have cleared the fence and landed outside the racing surface at both of these facilities, maybe they should consider making one them invitational only events....

Seriously though, i hope to make at least one. Wonder if Holiday World is open that weekend?[/QUOTE]

The only cars that have gone out of the ball park at Haubstadt have been non winged cars, first one was a outlaw driver Brad Sweet, in time trails during a Indiana Sprint Week, second one to clear the billboards was Brady Short during a MSCS USAC show. Hunter (I"m not even going to spell 100%"s last name) actually cleared the fence till left rear tire caught and threw car back on the track during hot laps. I"m happy to say all three walked away. I have ni idea about Kokomo. I don"t think.. Holiday World opens til March

4 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, JarrettFarms73, oppweld, sc17x
2/23/21, 9:27 PM   #12
openwheelfan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
The only cars that have gone out of the ball park at Haubstadt have been non winged cars, first one was a outlaw driver Brad Sweet, in time trails during a Indiana Sprint Week, second one to clear the billboards was Brady Short during a MSCS USAC show. Hunter (I"m not even going to spell 100%"s last name) actually cleared the fence till left rear tire caught and threw car back on the track during hot laps. I"m happy to say all three walked away. I have ni idea about Kokomo. I don"t think.. Holiday World opens til March
Actually, two cars cleared the turn 1-2 wall at the two night 2020 show. Jeff Swindell homered on night one, and Bill Rose homered during night 2. Thankfully, neither incident resulted in major damage to their cars and no injuries resulted.

3 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, Dirtfan, jim goerge
2/23/21, 9:35 PM   #13
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
Actually, two cars cleared the turn 1-2 wall at the two night 2020 show. Jeff Swindell homered on night one, and Bill Rose homered during night 2. Thankfully, neither incident resulted in major damage to their cars and no injuries resulted.
Ok thanks I didn"t know that happened cuz I don"t attend the outlaw shows. I just never cared for winged racing .

2 members like this post: oppweld, ronmil
2/24/21, 9:17 AM   #14
Adolph

Race Count This Year: 27
Race Count Last Year: 27,27,40,28,69

I don't remember seeing anyone clear the wall at Kokomo in the current configuration. Years ago, on the old track I saw Stanbrough go through the wall when his drive shaft broke during hot laps just after turn 4. Of course, there was no wing.

2/24/21, 9:30 AM   #15
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolph View Post
I don't remember seeing anyone clear the wall at Kokomo in the current configuration. Years ago, on the old track I saw Stanbrough go through the wall when his drive shaft broke during hot laps just after turn 4. Of course, there was no wing.
AJ Hopkins is my immediate recollection landing where they play the kickball game. I know a car hit the door on the grain building outside 3/4 but can’t remember the car or driver.

Just for clarification, the invitational only piece was just me being sarcastic. It’s true i’m not a fan of invitational only at Bristol but what has really rubbed me the wrong way is the implication/ notion of non wing cars/drivers taking one look at the banking and subsequent speeds then decide they want no part of it. Last time i checked, it’s the non wing drivers that have a reputation of being a little crazy. 🤷
Last edited by JarrettFarms73; 2/24/21 at 9:32 AM.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
2/24/21, 2:11 PM   #16
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 22

Believe Chase Hayhurst went over the wall at TSS couple years ago to, over in turn 1

2/24/21, 4:54 PM   #17
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I believe Gary Blum holds the altitude record at Haubstadt. Landed by the phone pole across the road in the field after clipping a van parked outside turn three during his flight. I believe he was launched when he clipped Cale Medler's wheel.
He came back and ran a four-cylinder modified later in the evening after retrieving his wristwatch from the bean field.
Last edited by ronmil; 2/24/21 at 5:18 PM.

2/24/21, 6:57 PM   #18
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmil View Post
I believe Gary Blum holds the altitude record at Haubstadt. Landed by the phone pole across the road in the field after clipping a van parked outside turn three during his flight. I believe he was launched when he clipped Cale Medler's wheel.
He came back and ran a four-cylinder modified later in the evening after retrieving his wristwatch from the bean field.
Ron You"re right. The three I named actually cleared the billboards. There have been several who went over the boiler plate wall and hit the billboard and bounced back on to the track plus a couple who cleared fence hit boards and dropped like a rock One of them was Richard Jackson who is a paraplegipedic who got wedged between billboards and wall UPSIED down and on fire. He was OK thanks to Tommy and safety crew getting under his car and pulling him to safety.
Last edited by jim goerge; 2/25/21 at 12:06 AM.

1 member likes this post: ronmil
2/24/21, 8:26 PM   #19
JarrettFarms73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
Ron You"re right. The 3 I named actually cleared the billboards. There have been several who went over the boiler plate wall and hit the billboard and bounced back on to the track plus a couple who cleared fence hit boards and dropped like a rock One of them was Richard Jackson who is a paraplegipedic who got wedged between billboards and wall UPSIED down and on fire. He was OK thanks to Tommy and safety crew getting under his car and pulling him to safety.
Yikes!!! That would’ve been a tough thing to watch. As far as the boards go i was down there when Brian Karraker hung one on the boards in 1/2. That car was hurt!

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
2/24/21, 9:09 PM   #20
Dougherty20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo View Post
Believe Chase Hayhurst went over the wall at TSS couple years ago to, over in turn 1
I think you are referring to Chayse's older brother who flipped over boards between 1 and 2 in a mini sprint a couple years ago. Chayse has never even been upside down at Tri State............yet.

Now his dad Gary Hayhurst Jr has been out of Tri State twice, both in wing sprint, probably early to mid 90's. Once in turn 3 and once in turn 4. I think on one of those he ended up in corn field like Gary Blum did.

2 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > WoO At Kokomo and Haubstadt