IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > RIP Larry Miller
11/9/12, 11:16 AM   #11
Re: RIP Larry Miller
smith19

what a great racer. we (gilstrap #19) raced against him at tri state and once in a while he would come to the burg. remember him in the white #2.....what a loss.
Last edited by smith19; 11/9/12 at 11:17 AM.

11/9/12, 11:23 AM   #12
indybigjohn

Really sad news. Prayers and thoughts from here. One of my best memories is your dad driving Karl's big-block at the old 25th St. Fairgrounds in Columbus one night.

Boyd Smedley and I had taken the Salem pace car up there to publicize an upcoming event, and they asked us to pace the feature. Then Butch Wilkerson came up and wanted to drive it. We let him and I rode along.

Halfway down the backstretch the first time, Butch says, "Hey, Potts, the speedometer doesn't work!" This was in the days when the dealers unhooked 'em when they gave them to you.

I answered, "Hell, Butch, all you have to do is stay ahead of 'em."

Larry was on the pole, and I don't think Butch was sure he could stay ahead of him.

That was also the night Chuck Amati couldn't get his car handling and had to start on the tail. He asked Gaines or Bobby Kinser (I can't remember for sure) to take a few laps in it and see if he could tell him what was wrong with it. Whoever it was brought it all the way up to second by the time the feature was over, got out, and said, "Feels OK to me."

RIP, Larry.
Last edited by indybigjohn; 11/9/12 at 11:28 AM.

2 members like this post: jim goerge, LKMill
11/9/12, 11:43 AM   #13
awc#2

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and you family. from Bryan Whited and Family

11/9/12, 12:05 PM   #14
jim goerge

Remember seeing your dad in several cars Man he always gave them a ride Thinking the racing up above just got tougher RIP Larry

11/9/12, 1:27 PM   #15
Dgentry51

I watched him race with my dad at Paragon, Haubstadt, and the burg, he won a lot of races, driving Stepters gold deuce, and Johnny Macs 14, or anything he drove, for that matter.
Condolences from the entire Gentry family
Last edited by Dgentry51; 11/9/12 at 1:29 PM.

11/9/12, 2:41 PM   #16
FishBurger

One of my favorites from back in the day at Lawrenceburg, and as a couple of posters before me have mentioned, he doesn't get nearly enough mention for being amongst the best of his day. R.I.P. Racer.

11/9/12, 2:42 PM   #17
aceace

Thank you everyone, he had a lot of fans. The funeral will be at Day & Carter in Bedford,IN. Viewing Sunday Nov 11th from 1-7PM funeral Monday at 10AM

11/9/12, 3:48 PM   #18
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

So sorry for your loss. Larry was practically unbeatable at Haubstadt. He really had that place figured out.
RIP, Larry!

11/9/12, 6:14 PM   #19
dougvan

So sorry for your loss. Your dad was a great person and a hell of a race car driver. So glad I got to know him well and had lots of great times with you and your family.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone.
Doug & Debbie Vandeventer

11/14/12, 6:26 PM   #20
circletrack14

Greg this is Scott McDaniel, very sorry to hear about your dad, our thoughts and prayers go to you and your family. Take care and tell everyone i said hello.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > RIP Larry Miller