IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC at BRP in Feb.
12/13/14, 11:38 PM   #1
USAC at BRP in Feb.
openwheelfan1

Thinking of going to BRP in Feb. for one of the USAC shows. Anyone on here that has been there before? Where is a good place to stay in the area? Is the track hard to get to? Any other suggestions/recommendations?

12/14/14, 12:11 AM   #2
Re: USAC at BRP in Feb.
Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
Thinking of going to BRP in Feb. for one of the USAC shows. Anyone on here that has been there before? Where is a good place to stay in the area? Is the track hard to get to? Any other suggestions/recommendations?
The track is just north of Ocala, its a pretty easy drive, it kind of reminds me of Plymouth Speedway, you're just driving down the road and there it is.

As far as accommodations it just depends. Ocala has all the different places from the low end motels to the pricey but very nice hotels. Depending on what you're looking to spend there will definitely be somewhere for you to stay but if you're planning on going I would just Google it now, do your research, and book because you have to remember fans of all types of racing are flocking to FL then and a lot of places fill up.

12/14/14, 1:58 AM   #3
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

I stayed at Super 8 & Comfort Inn until last year, when I stayed at the Howard Johnson. HoJo was the best I have found down there, and a lot of racers stay there also. It is on the north end of town, fairly close to the track. The track is the next exit north. Get off, turn right, go 1/2 mile or so to the lights, turn left and you go right by the track. Pretty easy.

12/14/14, 10:40 AM   #4
flatout18

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 46

Usually stay at Best Western on 38th. Pretty nice place. Average rates. 3 block walk to Gators Dockside bar

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
12/14/14, 10:44 AM   #5
i love dirt track racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatout18 View Post
Usually stay at Best Western on 38th. Pretty nice place. Average rates. 3 block walk to Gators Dockside bar
Always a fun walk back to hotel. Lol

1 member likes this post: rachasin
12/14/14, 11:08 AM   #6
Andrew S. Quinn

Brent T Funk,Coach and myself stayed at the Hilton a couple years ago. Funks Mrs is quite a travel agent and got us a pretty good deal on a rate there. It was a fun trip....

https://www.indianaopenwheel.com/showthread.php?t=66641

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
12/14/14, 11:34 AM   #7
ISF

OWF1, the track is pretty easy to find.

If coming from Ocala it's less than 15 minutes (about 9 miles). Just take FL Rt. 301/441 North out of Ocala to FL Rt. 326. Go West (left) on FL Rt. 326. Follow FL Rt. 326 to NW Gainesville Road. Go North (right) on NW Gainesville Road a mile (give or take) and the track will be on the West (left) side of the road.

If you will be coming in on Interstate 75 exit I-75 onto FL Rt. 326 East a short distance (maybe a mile) to NW Gainesville Rd. Go North (left) on NW Gainesville, Road a mile and the track will be on the West (left) side of the road.

As far as motel/hotel accommodations there are several near Ocala. We stay at the La Quinta Inn in Ocala. They aren't the cheapest but they are nearly universally clean and well maintained.

Gainesville, FL is only 1/2 hour from the track. There is every national motel franchise in and around Gainesville and a few mom & pop motels. All price ranges are available. If you haven't made reservations you need to get something nailed down soon. Especially if you want to stay in or very near Ocala.

If you are a wingless sprint car fan (and obviously you are) you'll really enjoy these 3 nights of racing. The track itself is of a unique shape which makes for some great racing. They sometimes refer to BRP as Little Darlington as it's shaped similar to the South Carolina NASCAR track. The track amenities are excellent, food and drink are relatively reasonable. The only minor, and I mean very minor, downside of BRP is there is just one way in and one way out and after the races it's a bit congested at the track exit.

This area of Florida can be downright cold the last part of February so bring adequate clothing. Your chances of having a cold snap during the 3 nights of racing are probably less than 50% but nights down into the 40's is not terribly uncommon. However, as often as not I've sat in the grandstands at BRP for these shows with a T-shirt on until feature time. The daytime is almost always warm which is a welcome respite from the weather in the Midwest.

You'll definitely want to take in Big Daddy Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing that is located just South of Ocala. This is a 2-3 hour diversion that is well worth the time. Besides every Swamp Rat that ever existed there are drag cars of all shapes sizes and persuasions and Big Daddy's car collection is very interesting, especially the all original 1932 Ford Model B coupe. This car is completely original, unmolested, unhotrodded (is that a word?) example of one of the most famous automobiles ever built. In my world that one car is worth the price of admission.

Also if you want to do a short day trip before hot laps begin you could go to Blue Springs State Park in Orange City, Fl. It's a very interesting place where the springs come up out of the ground at a constant 70-something degree water temperature and the manatee are there in great numbers to escape the cold water of the St. Johns river. Blue Springs is a great way to spend a few hours. Get there early in the day as the parking fills up early. Blue Springs is just West of FL Rt.17-92 in Orange City. You won't be disappointed. Blue Springs is about 65 miles from Ocala and generally takes about 1.5 hours to get there from Ocala but it's worth every minute and mile.

Be safe and have a great time!!

4 members like this post: EBookerFan, Nate, PJ Wright, Stevensville Mike
12/14/14, 10:59 PM   #8
openwheelfan1

Thank you all so much for the replies. It will be the wife and I, and if we are able to pull this off, we will only be able to go on Thursday, as we will be "fitting this in" between a whole bunch of other things we will be doing while in the Sunshine State". Hoping things work out and we can go, even the one night!

1 member likes this post: ISF
12/15/14, 7:00 AM   #9
rachasin

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by i love dirt track racing View Post
Always a fun walk back to hotel. Lol
are you and the crew going down there in Feb?

2 members like this post: flatout18, i love dirt track racing
12/15/14, 8:27 AM   #10
Birdsboro

Race Count This Year: 10
Race Count Last Year: 30

I will be there thursday...... and Saturday at east bay.....with disney in between. .. wonder if i can talk my way into a few more days lol.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC at BRP in Feb.