IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrencburg updates tonight?
10/7/07, 3:50 PM   #151
Re: Lawrencburg updates tonight?
dshort36

i dont know where some of you were at , maybe behind beer cans, but there is no excuse for the track conditions last night at the burg... it is the responsibility of the track management to prepare the surface for some good racing and again they have failed... i have been to this track on several occacsions this season and may have seen one good night of racing... it seen that big clud,with 4 wheels, just cant figure out how much water to put down and when... same thing past several weeks including the big mod show which was also a complete disaster... i would be bery ashamed if i could not figure out how to do my job properly... mr. rudissell you have failed with the people you have and need to pay some experienced people to come in and show you how to properly prepare your surface.......some times it pays to listen ,observe, and admit to fault in order to go the right direction....... you have failed this year and next year i hope you do your homework.... don short

10/7/07, 4:09 PM   #152
Checker'd Past

I am waiting for Aero to post. I know that will clear things up.:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

10/7/07, 4:27 PM   #153
J.D.

My 1st time to the Burg last night since 1993, I couldn't believe how small the track was. Beautiful facility! To sum up the nite, in my opinion:
1) Who ever got the lucky draw made the feature, if Ballou would of started in the back of the heat, he would of been loading up early with a lot of other great drivers!
2) To pass on the track last nite you would have to race dirty and the bump and run was all Swindell had to do to Ballou and then he would of checked out, he was (by far) the fastest on the track!!!
3) For the track last nite, I blame all the fans that have complained about the dust you encountered at a dirt race this season. Dave gave you "0" dust, and we had to watch follow the leader all nite!!!
4) My son and I still had a great time, but not sure I will drive 4 hours again to see a race like that!

10/7/07, 4:45 PM   #154
Tim Clauson

As I watched hotlaps I was amazed that nobody and I mean nobody went down to pack the bottom of the race track. I was thinking to myself as each of the what 6 hot laps sessions pushed out that at least 50% of these guys are starting on the bottom and at least 80% of these guys are going to have to pass someone to get in the transfer spot.Not one car went to the bottom to pack it in.

Maybe they told the drivers not to at the drivers meeting ? Not sure, but I do know if I was starting on the bottom or had to pass more then a car or two I would of been down there running the bottom in every chance I got.

Lets face it, guys who are known for their soft foot, smooth style struggled last night and guys who are known for their on the gas style came to the forefront. Last night was not about finesse it was about selling out and standing tall in the seat. there was a time when that's what sprint car racing was "alway's" about.

Tim

10/7/07, 5:19 PM   #155
AERO410SCJA

Race Count This Year: 24

For you checked past

I loved the surface 71 cars and it held up all night.I know you guys didn't get to see huggy pole around the bottom half throttle racing and it ran past your bedtime.And yes I was looking through beer goggles cuz you didn't need dust goggles:thumb:

10/7/07, 5:23 PM   #156
Dwight Clock

A great night at the 'Burg. Don't know what all the :angry-smiley-007: is about. Where else can you see a field of 71 of the best sprint car drivers on one of the country's legendary short tracks? The track was fast all night and, despite the lack of passing in the heats, the feature more than made up for it. Kudos to Ballou who, temporarily at least, has taken away the title of "Hottest sprint car driver in the country" from Jon Stanbrough. Nice to spend a good portion of the day & evening with Marv Fish, who I don't get to see nearly often enough. Also good to see Gregg, Ed, John Hoover, DannyB, Tom Jennings, and Chuck Nungester. Also met a fellow by the name of Fred Frost, 73 years young, who claims to have attended every Indy 500 since 1946! Now that is a streak. Thank God no one was hurt when Danny Williams Jr. flipped his car into the concession area off turn four landing on the picnic table in front of the concession stand. Got to see why the denizons of Section A get more excited about buying 50/50 tickets than they do about the races!:eek::thumb: And now the local season is down to the Kokomo Klash in 2 weeks.

10/7/07, 5:35 PM   #157
J.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERO410SCJA View Post
For you checked past

I loved the surface 71 cars and it held up all night.I know you guys didn't get to see huggy pole around the bottom half throttle racing and it ran past your bedtime.And yes I was looking through beer goggles cuz you didn't need dust goggles:thumb:
I'm not one who likes "huggy pole" racing, but on the other hand I don't like "huggy middle" racing either! I do think things would of got real interesting if it would of been Clayton behind Ballou those last few laps! For those who weren't there, the finish was awesome!!!!

10/7/07, 6:37 PM   #158
bigmojo5

Sadly, I could not be at Lawrenceburg last night as I had a previous commitment at Eldora for the UMP Nationals. Sounds like a pretty good night of racing and a lot of action. 71 SPRINT cars and no dust. Amazing. Remember the Four-Crown. Remember Indiana Midget Week.

Two previous posts made me think. One about how everyone complaining about dust MIGHT have created the track surface after the criticism in August about the Indiana Midget Week track. And, it was just two weeks ago everyone had a gripe fest about Eldora.

Two, Tim Clauson's, about being amazed none of the drivers tried to work in the bottom groove so they could use it.

Ronnie Ambrose was one of the best ever in the UMRA TQ ranks and still holds the record for most career wins in the club -- somewhere more than 120. I was watching him one night at Rushville and noticed each caution period he would pull his car to the very inside edge of the track. No one else did so. He did this after his car was started for the trophy dash, the heat race, the feature and all caution periods but NEVER ran that line. That inside line was a gooey and rough when the night started.

Guess what. He was running third and the rest of the track had dried somewhat. On a restart, Ambrose pulled to the inside and shot around two cars and into victory lane.

After the race, I asked him about it. He had spent all evening running in that line in and when the rest of the track lost traction, he found a little extra grip on that portion in turn two to pull off the pass.
I think that's the same thing Tim's talking about.

For the record, Eldora was in pretty good shape both nights, track stayed tacky Friday night with 117 mods and 66 late models. Saturday night, track got a little rubber in the middle but very little dust. The racing was pretty good, cars running the top, the bottom and all spots in between.

What's the difference between this and two weeks ago -- RAIN. The drought in this area is not over but for once the rain was well timed to help those preparing the tracks this weekend.

Jim Morrison

10/7/07, 7:26 PM   #159
purvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanBlanton View Post
...Booing cuz they took a 15 minute intermission between the B and the A. What the hell did you want them to go? Leave the 4 transfers from the B on the track and just start pushing the other cars off? Booing at the number of yellow flag laps while their favorite drivers drove double file and seemed to just ignore the lineup boards. If nobody else noticed, the officials seemed as frustrated with it as the fans, so give 'em a break.
This was the first race this year that I had been able to sit in the stands and enjoy, thank you Dave for the hospitality. I thought that the night of racing was great.

I was glad, though frustrated as a fan, to see that the tracks I work at are not the only ones that struggle with drivers who refuse to line up where they are told to go. I am not sure if it was in the heat or B-Main, but Russ Gamester was actually penalized to the rear of the field for not lining up where he was instructed, I applaud MSCS for their actions with the 46 car. This is a practice that I feel should be adopted by many organizations, if the drivers know you are serious and could wind up on the tail or in the pits for their actions, they will start getting in line as instructed.

10/7/07, 8:10 PM   #160
who cares

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
My 1st time to the Burg last night since 1993, I couldn't believe how small the track was. Beautiful facility! To sum up the nite, in my opinion:
1) Who ever got the lucky draw made the feature, if Ballou would of started in the back of the heat, he would of been loading up early with a lot of other great drivers!
2) To pass on the track last nite you would have to race dirty and the bump and run was all Swindell had to do to Ballou and then he would of checked out, he was (by far) the fastest on the track!!!
3) For the track last nite, I blame all the fans that have complained about the dust you encountered at a dirt race this season. Dave gave you "0" dust, and we had to watch follow the leader all nite!!!
4) My son and I still had a great time, but not sure I will drive 4 hours again to see a race like that!
From everything that I have read and watched at the burg -- no one can please everyone. A lot of work goes into the track -- have you ever prepared the a track or even have an idea? just wondering.

Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrencburg updates tonight?