Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Winchester Rumor
3/4/19, 4:03 PM   #51
Re: Winchester Rumor
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo View Post
Here’s what I don’t get. Haubstadt, Bloomington, Terre Haute, and LOR, will let you carry beer in. Lincoln Park, Lawrenceburg, and Salem say it’s against the law??
I think if they sell beer the law does not permit carry in. Hagerstown Speedway in Maryland has the same rule.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
3/4/19, 4:25 PM   #52
bigq11

The afore mentioned Terre Haute, Haubstadt, and Bloomington all sell beer and allow carry in.

3 members like this post: Chief Wahoo, jim goerge, oppweld
3/4/19, 5:26 PM   #53
Rpracing1

Off topic, but do we now call Bloomington.................BLUSAK?

3/4/19, 6:44 PM   #54
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wahoo View Post
Here’s what I don’t get. Haubstadt, Bloomington, Terre Haute, and LOR, will let you carry beer in. Lincoln Park, Lawrenceburg, and Salem say it’s against the law??
You can do anything as long as you don't get caught. IRP is exempt because the road course is over 2 miles long. Terre Haute may get away with it because they sell outside the gate. When I worked at Kokomo under Kent Evans excise visited us and explained very clearly that it was illegal to carry in ,if you sell alcohol. Have no idea about Ohio, but would imagine it is similar.

3/4/19, 8:04 PM   #55
Rpracing1

When I’ve seen them sell beer at THAT, they were inside and outside the gate. Have a hard time believing that the tracks that sell and allow beer to be brought in are breaking the law.

3/4/19, 8:11 PM   #56
7horse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer12 View Post
Each county has it’s own liquor laws.

Bob
But at Lawrenceburg they say it's a state law, what a joke

1 member likes this post: stealth43k
3/4/19, 8:15 PM   #57
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
When I’ve seen them sell beer at THAT, they were inside and outside the gate. Have a hard time believing that the tracks that sell and allow beer to be brought in are breaking the law.
When they had me detained that night I was watching the gate, they made me a believer. Back then if they saw us let anyone in, it was like a $10,000 fine and forfeiture of the permit.

3/4/19, 8:28 PM   #58
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
When they had me detained that night I was watching the gate, they made me a believer. Back then if they saw us let anyone in, it was like a $10,000 fine and forfeiture of the permit.
Like I said before Brent, that may be the case in that county, but highly doubt it is the case in all county’s. This has been hashed over and over on this site several times over the past few years. Maybe someone with a lot of free time can search and find those older posts.

3/4/19, 9:32 PM   #59
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
You can do anything as long as you don't get caught. IRP is exempt because the road course is over 2 miles long. Terre Haute may get away with it because they sell outside the gate. When I worked at Kokomo under Kent Evans excise visited us and explained very clearly that it was illegal to carry in ,if you sell alcohol. Have no idea about Ohio, but would imagine it is similar.
Haubstadt only prohibits glass bottles. Police have checked our coolers before and as long as you don't have glass bottles your good to go. Another reason they are " The Class Track ".

2 members like this post: jim goerge, oppweld
3/4/19, 9:58 PM   #60
kdobson

At least in Illinois when you mix on-premises sales with BYOB, you are not only potentially violating your local liquor laws - you are also creating a virtually indefensible liability situation. Illinois and most Cities now require real training for people serving alcohol on how to recognize and refuse service to prevent over-serving a customer. There is a legal duty not to sell to intoxicated patrons and the Dram Shop Act pretty much assures liability as a result of anything you served to an intoxicated patron. I have no control over how much you consume when you bring your own. My bartender can't refuse service to you as you become more intoxicated throughout the night. You could have drank 1 of our beers and 12 of your own - who's to say. When you get in a wreck leaving the race track and you were drunk, it's going to be really hard to prove that you served yourself the alcohol that got you there instead of us.

There are specific lines on our insurance application asking whether we allow people to carry it in - and what kind of procedures we have in place to regulate it and confiscate it. No question the insurer doesn't like it - for good reason. And yes... on any given night at the track we refuse further service to multiple people and have a safe-ride program in place. That doesn't happen when you are drinking out of your own cooler.

At a race track there are a certain amount of expenses and an certain amount of revenue that needs to be generated to keep the place open. Whether the money comes from your ticket or concessions, or the pit gate, grandstands, or sponsors - it's going to come from somewhere - and that somewhere is usually your pocket in one form or another. I don't get upset that I can't bring a soda and popcorn to the movie - because I know that's part of the pot that keeps the place open. If they didn't charge me a small fortune for popcorn my ticket would be higher. I get that - and it's my choice whether to buy it or not.

So not only do we at Jacksonville Speedway prohibit bringing your own alcohol for legal reasons... we also prohibit it for liability reasons... and I'm not ashamed to say that we also do it for financial reasons.
Last edited by kdobson; 3/4/19 at 10:02 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Winchester Rumor