IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What track did you grow up going to?
6/25/13, 3:11 PM   #51
Re: What track did you grow up going too?
PJ Wright

I grew up in western NY and started getting interested in drag racing when I was 10 or 11. My parents didn't go to the races, so I bugged and begged my dad to take me. He finally relented and we planned to go to a big drag race. A few days before, my folks told me they couldn't afford the tickets. However my mom saw an ad for a dirt track with adult admission of $2.50 and told me that dad would take me there if I wanted. I had seen some dirt cars on trailers and in some garages and thought they looked cool so I said OK!. So I went to my first race at Holland Speedway in 1967, the last year it was dirt. Before relocating to SC in 1973, My dad and I also went to Stateline (dirt-Busti, NY)
Lancaster (asphalt) and saw my first sprintcar race at the Erie County fair.
Early on, my parents tried to discourage my interest in racing. Shortly after they were married they went to a midget race at the Civic Stadium in Buffalo, and a driver was killed in front of them so they never went to another race until I came along. After they saw that my interest in racing was NOT going away, even my mom started going with dad and I.
Both my folks are gone now, but I'll always remember those good times. Thanks Mom and Dad for sacrificing what you wanted so I could have what I wanted.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

6/25/13, 3:13 PM   #52
duel

Jackson Motor Speedway, Jackson Mi. Been going since I was in a stroller and use to be put in the front seat to help pack the track so I was told. Grandparents built it in the late 40's. and sold it mid 60's. It was a high banked oil clay track that was very dangerous. After a few years they made into a 3/8 paved track. We ran bikes, super modifieds, midgets, sprints and stock cars. Many Marc Times invitational 100 lappers for stockers. Chitwood thrill shows and I remember Evil doing a long bus jump end to end. I'm sure Crocky was there too. Some big open wheel shows. I never missed a race there that I can remember from 58 on. It closed in 73.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, johnnythunderhead, nathans1012
6/25/13, 3:30 PM   #53
R A K

ELDORA! Grew up about 45 minutes southeast of there. I have vivid memories of Saturday night "Super Sprint" car races in the mid-seventies. They were sprint cars with all sorts of wing contraptions made of plywood, aluminum, or some other material. I remember the announcer (Terry Baltes) would excitedly announce that the fans were being treated to an "all Super Sprint Car warm-up group!" They used to hot lap all the divisions together prior to this! The racing was terrific, I really enjoyed that particular era.

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, nathans1012
6/25/13, 3:43 PM   #54
sc17x

Avilla Speedway ,Auilla Indiana Bryan Motor Speedway .Bryan Ohio
Quincy raceway now Butler speedway

Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, nathans1012, tntbusco
6/25/13, 4:11 PM   #55
65 Push Truck

First race I went to was at the Princeton IN fairgrounds. They raced "late models". 50's and 60's Fords and Chevys. Then a guy named Tommy Helfrich showed up in a Camaro that was bad fast and upped the ante for everyone. I saw my first sprint car race at TSS with Buckwheat Gates and Dick Gaines in the 70's. My dad never went to the races but my older brother would take me. Occasionally we would slip out of Sunday night church early and go to TSS. Ronmil you remember when Dick Snyder hit the light pole in turn 3 at Princeton and the lights went out till like 2am? We stayed until the races were over like 3 or 4am. Think my brother got in big trouble for that one. Ha ha

Posted via Mobile Device

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Hamby812, jim goerge, nathans1012
6/25/13, 4:16 PM   #56
BeerCloud

Ascot Park

My dad took me and my brother to a sprint car race there in 74 i believe. When my mom went on a trip to see her folks, dad decided to take us out for a treat. Ive been hooked on sprint cars ever since.

I can still see Bob "flash" East setting quick time after quick time in the Coulter Chevy. When Gary Howard broke the 19 sec bracket. Bobby Olivero in the tamale wagon followed the next year by Rick Goudy. Clark Templeman in the blue #3 JFK car. Bob Meli's mean flip in turns 1 & 2 in the 78 car. Ive still never seen a car flip so fast. David Fair white pearl 96, Mike Shaw's african paint scheme #92, Jimmy Oskie was up front no matter which car he was in, a Dean Thompson slide job, Steve Howard in the #20 Cunningham chevy was as wild and exciting as can be, the California Cowboy Ron Rea in the beautiful King O' Lawn Chevy, Tony Simon, Kerry Norris, Max and Mike Sweeney. The Arizona group would come over with Lealand McSpadden, Ronnie Shuman and gang. When there was money on the line, nobody was better the Ronnie Shuman. I could go on and on with those memories.

All those ole memories brought me a new one, a couple of sprint weeks ago at Haubstaut. I went over to Mike Spencer car after the race and asked one of the guys standing by the car if this Mike Spencer was related to the Mike Spencer that used to race at Ascot. He said ya that it was his dad and pointed to him who was working on something in the trailer. He said to go talk to him. So I stood at the trailer door and asked him if he used to race at Ascot. He looked at me and smiled a little and said yes. I told him that i remembered him in the white and blue #64 car and his smile got bigger and that look in his eyes i'll never forget. I think he had a brief racer flash back idk. Great thread btw

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Indy1808, jim goerge, mtek56, nathans1012, racephoto1
6/25/13, 4:46 PM   #57
CactusCrew

I haven't grown up yet, and probably never will ... but I spent a lot of time a Williams Grove Speedway when I was young.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, nathans1012, racegal
6/25/13, 4:49 PM   #58
rkbrewer83

Good ole Salem Speedway in Salem, IN and Louisville Motor Speedway for me! Also hit Bardstown Speedway down in KY alot since my old man was the track anouncer for awhile. Sprinkle in some Brownstown, Bloomington, and Haubstaudt here and there....then we started racing ourseves. First kart race was at Sportsdrome Speedway in Jeffersonville, IN....good times!

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, DAD, nathans1012
6/25/13, 4:58 PM   #59
racefanindy

Oddly, it's the Indiana State Fairgrounds Coliseum. My uncle took my cousin and I to the indoor Midget races several times in the early to mid 70's. First race cars I'd ever seen other than in photos. I'm still a big Midget and Sprint fan. Thanks to my uncle.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, nathans1012
6/25/13, 5:20 PM   #60
Quick Change

Race Count This Year: 23
Race Count Last Year: 29

Grew up across town from Knoxville Raceway. Started attending with my parents 6 months after i was born. Attended other area race tracks, Chariton, Newton, Oskaloosa and Kessell Speedway in Des Moines. Race cars evolved from jalopies to supermodifieds to sprint cars. Attended every Knoxville Nationals up until last year. Many great memories and some things I would like to forget. Highlight of the early years were trips to the IMCA big car races at the Iowa State Fairgrounds and occasionally to surrounding state fairs, Nebraska, Missouri and Kansas. Also made a couple of trips to Olympic Stadium in Independence Mo. Late teen and twenties pretty much traveled all over the country.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, nathans1012, old time Hoosier
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > What track did you grow up going to?