IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Getting To Know IOW Members
3/4/09, 9:17 PM   #21
Re: Getting To Know IOW Members
1BIGracefan

I am Kyle Hendershot I have been going racing since I was six weeks old. I only love 2 things more than open wheel Midget, Sprint & Silver Crown racing my girls. I take my Girls to the track as much as possible so that we can keep the sport going forward.

I was introduced to the sport by dad who has worked on racecars since the '50s.

I am hopeful that my girls will continue to go racing? Who Knows??

Kyle

3/4/09, 9:17 PM   #22
Obie

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfan View Post
onthegas7j I just want to say thank you for what you do for all of us. You be safe sir.
I also wish you stay safe over there & thank you for your servioce to our great country.

This might not be the right place to put this, but he can write a pretty good story when he sets his mind to it. Hope you don't mind I posted it here, Jaryd.

A young man takes a deep breath and unzips his helmet bag. He grabs his red and white helmet and carefully sets it in the bag. He places his gloves, in the bag as well and zips it up. He's done this many times before, from quarter midgets, to stock cars.

The night will likely go as it does every other night but this one is different. His father tells him he loves him, tells him that he's proud of him. He gives his father a hug as he grabs his things to leave. The black simpson bag in hand he opens the door and looks back, he gives his dad a wink and walks out.

The summer sun beats down on him as he gets into his truck. He starts it up and pulls away from his house. Headed to somewhere thats a completely different world than his beloved race track. He feels a sense of calm as he goes down the road.

The open fields, and cold persona chill him as he looks at the names. The stones of marble and grey, they spand across the field. He pulls to a stop and looks to see that familiar name. A stone marked Heddins with a car and a 3h on it. Tears well up in his eyes, so he pulls his sunglasses from the bill of his cap. He slowly walks to the marble bench, and sits and lights a cigarette. He says the only words that come to his mind.

"Michael, it's been almost 2 years, and I still miss you. I see Bailey and it's amazing to see how much he's just like you. The races aren't the same, the parties aren't the same it's just so weird. Tomarrow is the day, and I've come to grips with my decision. I just hope your proud of me. I'll try and win one for ya. I know you'll be rootin for me."

As the young man walks away, he gestures to the sky with a three. He gets in his truck and leaves. He turns on the radio and puts in his favorite cd, he uses it to focus, on what lies ahead of him that night. He arrives at the track, and signs in like so many times before, the lady asks the spelling of his name, just like she does every week.

The car is unloaded and he climbs in for hot laps. He feels comfort in the car and gets faster with every lap. A smile from his friend as he climbs out and checks the tire pressures. "You looked damn good man." He smile and tells him thank you. He sits and he waits, talks to his friends, and eats. Finnally its time to race, and the butterflies gather inside.

He runs a good race puts it solidly in the show. He feels a sense of accomplishment, the first night in a different kind of car. He works on the set up a little, little tweeks will do. He sits and thinks about the next one, wonders what is in store.

The feature is run, and he finishes well, a win would have been nice, but a sixth will have to do. He sits and drinks a beer, with friends he'll leave behind. For tomarrow he starts a new chapter in life. The pride he feels is deep, and he can not break his smile. He tells his friends he loves them and he'll see them soon enough, he gets in his track and leaves the track. Tears fill his eyes and as gets on the highway towards home. He knows he'll miss the people and memories, but he thinks it's all for the best.

He gets up the next morning, still buzzing from the night before. Happy that he could do it, he tells his dad of the night. He drives to meet his shuttle, and heads to St. Louis for departure. Today he'll leave his loves behind in search of his new path.

He's leaving for boot camp, he knows he'll make it through. He becomes a marine in a short while, and he'll return to his home a new man, but doesn't know what else life may hold. He gives his dad a tearful hug, tells him he loves him. His father leaves and the boy goes forward on to San Diego. He will return to his friends and family, and the race track he loves so dear.

3/4/09, 10:01 PM   #23
racegal

Race Count This Year: 19

Thank you Obie! That was great!!:applaud:
Onthegas7j, Thank you so much! Be careful and be safe please!:respect::respect:

Great topic Devin!!

My name is Susan and I was at the races in my Mom's belly! I grew up at Kokomo, Bunker Hill and Warsaw Speedways! I drove a quarter midget when I was 11 and 12 years old but I proved to be no Dave Darland!:O: I thank God my Dad loved racing so much and my brother is such a great racer because I love being a part of the racing community! What a great bunch of friends!:checkered:

3/4/09, 10:06 PM   #24
racephoto1

My name is Chris Pedersen, I am 46 years of age,(you can decide if it is old or young ). I have been involved in auto racing my entire life.I was at my first race at 2 months old, at Norwood Arena, in Massachusetts. My family moved to Indiana in the late 60's, because my father wanted to work on race cars.

If it has 4 wheels ,I have worked on it ,from the Speedway to quarter midgets.I enjoy twisting wrenches and busting knuckles. To alot of people here I am known as a photographer.

To me racing isn't a sport but a way of life, and I will go anywhere to shoot it or work on it from Irwindale to Epping New Hampshire , and all points in between, as long as gas stays under $4 a gallon.

And to all the military members here, thank you and God Bless.

3/4/09, 10:34 PM   #25
Danny Burton

I yam who I yam. I know several people here, even Chris Pedersen. I've been going to races since the Truman Administration, or since my good friend Marv Fish was in junior high school.

There are quite a few good folks here that I've actually met. Quite a few more that I'd like to meet, including that Seapooch guy from Cincy.

At the track, I often hang around that Hoover guy and his buddy Shaw, to their everlasting regret and shame.

For different reasons (mostly my mother's illness) I've had to step away from writing for much of the midwestern off-season. But I write for both the website and newspaper that appear below here.

Racing influences include my dad, Dave Argabright, and Mr. Happy, though not always in that order.

The Darland sisters are both a lot of fun. And I admire their brother as much as I do anyone in racing.

Seek out Butch Wilkerson. He's usually good for a story or 12. Some of them are even true.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

3/4/09, 11:10 PM   #26
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

Hi, My name is David McCardell. I live in Ellicott City Maryland, just a bit outside Baltimore. I'm a PC/LAN tech. I grew up in Hagerstown and started going to to the races there when I was 3 in 1966. I've been coming out to Indiana for the races for about 5 years now. Keep telling the wife I'm gonna move out there.

Been around racing most of my life. Dad drag raced a Javalin and crewed on some cars that ran at Hagerstown. I've raced a little in Delaware running Mod-lites, have done Skip barber and a little Karting. Have crewed on a NASCAR Late Model at Old Dominion, but gave that up after two seasons. Now I just play with the Nikon at the track from time to time. Can't wait to get back out to Indy for Midget Week. Danny I'll see you in June!

3/4/09, 11:40 PM   #27
superglide

hello, my name is Kevin Crowder. My family started this racing deal back in the 60's with my grandpa Bill Camfield owning a service station and running a amatuer car at Macon. He ended up owning a few sprint cars with Bobby Carrigan driving the first one. He then bought the B4 that Larry Cannon drove for a guy named Blackard? He hired a young barber out of Danville and painted the car white with blue stripes and #87. Ole' Bub went on to win the track championship at Shaheens and won many features here in the midwest. Uncle Jerry and Uncle Dave also had sprinters with both winning track championships. My first visit to the track i was 6 months old. mom said she couldnt find a babysitter because everyone was at the races. lol. Nowadays i have 2 cousins racing midgets Rich and Davey Camfield. I also raced a midget a couple years including the prairie and the chili bowl. This is a great site with a lot of great people young and old. me? im 42. still racing fender cars here in central il. and having a blast.

3/5/09, 12:35 AM   #28
mowerman

Race Count This Year: 13
Race Count Last Year: 87

Hello, I'm Bob Clauson, Grandpa to Bryan. I've been going to races since 1947. Got my boys involved in quarter-midgets and the rest is history.

Met Monica in '93 and have been traveling ever since from West Coast to East Coast. I'm semi-retired from my own Mower Shop.

We have met the greatest friends at race tracks.

Monica started going to road races (age 6); got into circle tracks with her first husband (age 20) and can't give it up. Racing Addict.

Devin you got a good thread going, THANK YOU.

3/5/09, 12:38 AM   #29
#1Brad Kuhn Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerman View Post
Devin you got a good thread going, THANK YOU.
Thank You for sharing your story..:thumb

3/5/09, 12:39 AM   #30
RacinChic

---onthegas7j, thank you for your services.

*My name is Rachel, I live in Northern California, my grandpa got me into racing about 5 years ago before he passed away, every weekend i'm at my hometrack watching wing racing with my mom, but try and make a monthly trip to Indiana to watch some non-wing racing. No matter where I am I'm always cheering on my boyfriend Brad Sweet. I've never found more loyal friends than I have at the track!

*Very cool topic devin!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Getting To Know IOW Members