IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Getting To Know IOW Members
3/6/09, 9:37 PM   #61
Re: Getting To Know IOW Members
sc96

I am Rodney Weesner my wife and I have 3 children 2 girls and a boy. We Live in Portland IN and own silvercrown and Goldcrown race cars. We own Rock Excavating L.L.C, And also run several semi trucks. Our other business interest include Farm drainage,and concrete work. We have also started building racing chassis and machining race parts for sprints,midgets,silvercrown,and goldcrown cars This new venture is called Rock Racing. My wife and children are the light of my life. I grew up here in Portland and after high school (1986) I joined the U.S Marines after some interesting ventures while employed by uncle sam I was discharged in 1990.I stayed in California until 1995 when I moved back to Indiana and met my wife. I have always been involved in some sort of racing since 1986 when i started racing motocross then moved to speedway midgets,then micros and then to pavement sprints and silvercrown cars. I plan on driving race cars for along time to come.

3/6/09, 11:22 PM   #62
Duane Hancock

I am Duane Hancock, 38 years olds, divorced, living in Bryan OH. I have lived within 15 miles of this area all my life. I am a huge sprint car racing fan. I have been going racing almost every weekend since I was 17 months old. I have been to over 80 different tracks in 16 states and Canada. I average around 50 races a year, last year hit 99. I have been involved in the sport in many ways. I write a column called Tri-State Outlook that is published on hoseheads.com, sprintcarnews.com, and dirttrackdigest.com. I am the President of HoserVille Ohio, a non-profit group that helps aid injured sprint car drivers in their recovery. Also, I do some work for BAS Broadcasting on weekends for their radio broadcast of sprint car races and link to Dirt Vision. Plus, I have worked as a Marketing Manager at Attica Raceway Park, marketing manager for a few sprint car teams, done tv broadcasting for BCSN, been a crew chief on a sprint car team, been a regular crew member on a sprint car team, and have sponsored sprint cars, late models, and go-karts. Finally, I shoot a few photos that get published in Mid-American Auto Racing News and on hoseheads.com. If thats not enough, I have ran in a few demo derbies when time allows. My lifelong dream, since I can remember has been to be a sprint car driver, still is. I got to drive a SPRINT CAR for my first time ever a year ago last September!!! I loved it and would love to do it more!!! When it's football season, I am HUGE Pittsburgh Steelers fan!! My real job, yeah still have on of them too, a manager of an auto parts store, the advertising manager for all 3 of the stores my boss owns, and an outside saleman as well for the stores. I have a lovely daughter, soon to be 14, named Shelby, which if you know me, you more than likely, know her. I like to have a good time and have fun doing it. Sorry for the short book on who i am...lol...but know you might know me....:Steer

3/6/09, 11:32 PM   #63
bigwig_1basset

I am Paul Wiggins, 27, work for Verizon Telephone Co., married expecting our first in Oct.. We live in Waynesville IL, which is between Bloomington and Springfield. My dad got me started in racing with trips to Terre Haute as a kid. Him and I try to make as many races as we can in Indiana. Nothing better than watching non-wing sprint cars. :thumb

3/6/09, 11:54 PM   #64
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

I am James, I come here frequently just to see whats going on. I am a machine designer, 31 yrs. old. and live in Windsor, Ontario, Canada with my wife and daughter. Yes we have racetracks here, and no it doesn't snow all year round. I have met a few of you people on here. I have been going to races as long as I remember. Although I did stop going when my local track shut down 19 years ago. I started going again 7 years ago while traveling for work. Over the last 3 seasons I have went to about 40-45 races a year. I have been to around 80 tracks in maybe 15 states. I shoot all of the photos on my site www.apexonephoto.com, I think Supers are the coolest, baddest racecars ever. I shoot a lot more than non-winged midget/sprints/silver crown cars, so be forewarned if you venture over to my site and see fenders and wings!! I did go to the Copper on Dirt in 2007 and got food poisioning. Also drove to drove to Kokomo, Batesville (AR.), Pevely, and Springfield all in one weekend and would do it again. I have slept in the car, had my laptop crash with all of my photos on it, driven countless miles to watch it rain, been disappointed with low car counts, bad track conditions. But I always remember how fortunate I am to get to see so much good racing and meet so many good people.

James

3/7/09, 12:20 AM   #65
IndyBound

Hi Devin, I am Patti Sheradin, 59 years old originally from Oswego, N.Y.. My fondest memories of attending supermodified races with my Dad at Oswego were during what was called the mid-west invasion era in the 60's. We got to see Nolan & Gordan Johncock, Art Bennett, Baldy Baker, Wayne Landon, Sammy Sessions, Johnny Benson Sr. to name a few make that long haul to Oswego to race. Other names that left their imprint on Oswego history were Nolan Swift, Jack Murphy, Norm Mackereth, Todd Gibson, Bentley Warren, Jimmy Shampine, Warren Coniam, Johnny Spencer, Andy Brown and Fred Graves. Both my sister and I met our husband's at Oswego Speedway, my husband and I eventually went on to own a supermodified that we ran both at Oswego and on the ISMA circuit. I organized racing banquets for the Eagles Fan Club at Oswego and for ISMA. I also sold Hoosier Racing Apparel for five years in the early '90's. Some of my favorite more current supermodified drivers are Joe Gosek, Scott Martel, Russ Wood, Chris Perley and Joey Morarity before he left supermodified racing to head west.

Up until moving to Arizona in 2001 I was an open wheel pavement girl, once I made that transition most of my time is spent at Manzy, Canyon, Casa Grande Tucson and a once a year visit to PIR when USAC is in town. For the past six years I have tried to make as many pavement Silver Crown races as I possibly can each year.

The greatest thrill in my life happended 2/16/08 when my daughter and son-in-law made me a proud grandmother of a handome little guy named Donovan John. At times it is hard to believe he is a year old already.

My working career started with New York Telephone in 1967 when I retired in 1998 we had merged several times, first with New England Telephone to form NYNEX, then with Bell Atlantic and currently Verizon sends my retirement check. During my 31 years with the phone I held a variety of jobs in different divisons of the company, the only one I can say I am glad I don't have today is bill collecting. It was the last position I held before my retirement, it was a difficult position in the best of economic times.

Dwight Clock was the first friend I made posting on IOW, I miss his input on here, miss his friendship. Thank you for starting this thread Devin.

Patti
Last edited by IndyBound; 3/7/09 at 2:09 PM.

3/8/09, 2:59 AM   #66
ColoradoFan

I'm Vern Plotts I'm 68 years old and I have been an addict since I used to sit with my future aunt and watch my uncle race at Fort Miami fairgrounds in Maumee, Ohio in 1951. I went to my first USAC sprint car race at New Bremen, Ohio in 1962. In the 70's I was shooting pictures and my wife Diane was writing most of the USAC sprint articles for NSSN. We were fortunate to be there for the "Larry and Gary Show" years along with Rollie Beale,Sammy Sessions, Lee Kunzman,Tom Bigelow and many other truly exciting sprint car drivers. We went to our first Hoosier Hundred in 1965 and there is still no sound like a 255 Offy, with a long exhaust pipe, going down the backstretch on a dirt mile. One of my most memorable races was the day that Jackie Howerton, in a turbo-offy, beat Al Unser and Mario Andretti, in the Viceroy 255 Ford powered cars, at the Indy fairgrounds.
We moved to Colorado in 1976 when my job took us there and both took an early retirement in 2001. We get to 3 or 4 races a year in the midwest as well as the Oval Nationals and the Western World. Since there are no non wing sprints here I just amuse myself playing golf and fly fishing.
Many thanks to the servicemen on IOW and those serving were ever that might be in the world. Our barely 20 Year old grandson just returned safely to his home base this past Tuesday from his first deployment to Iraq and we'll get to see him in two weeks. We are so grateful our prayers were answered and he is back.
I really would like to meet more people from IOW this year.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Getting To Know IOW Members