IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Could this be the last year for Super Dirt Week at the Syracuse Mile?
9/13/09, 5:29 PM   #1
Could this be the last year for Super Dirt Week at the Syracuse Mile?
IndyBound

Although USAC Silver Crown cars have not competed on the Syracuse mile since 2003, I for one have held out hope they would return in the near future. Those hopes are fading for me, over the past week I have heard from two different sources that the Syracuse mile is in jeporady of being torn up. The fair board no longer sees the value in having a race track that is only raced on once a year.

At this point I consider this hear say or rumor even though the first party to share the information with me is a fair board member and the second is heavily involved in Central N. Y. dirt track racing.

They told me the only saving grace for dirt track racing at the Syracuse Mile could be the fact that the fair doesn't have the funds to implement the changes they want to make. Hearing this news and the recent rainout at DuQuoin and inability to reschedule the race has me wondering how often are Springfield and DuQoin used as a racing venue each year?

When I was a child the N. Y. State Fair always ended with a Labor Day Dirt Modified Race, I guess like many of you say "that was back in the day". Now the granstand is used for seating for concerts with a stage being setup on the track and the track is used as a parking lot for fair vendors cars. In my opinion that is sad, it has been years since that track has been used as a race track during the running of the fair.

If the fair board does away with the Syracuse Mile where will Super Dirt Week go? I cann't think of another dirt mile track in the North East that hasn't all ready been turned into a shopping center, etc.. Any ideas are greatly appreciated?

Normally I don't like to repeat rumors however we can talk all we want on this board about car counts, purses, the high cost of racing, sanctioning bodies, promoters, drivers and owners; if the venue is gone no matter how good the product is you have no place to showcase it. So if you enjoy watching racing at Syracuse, DuQuion or Springfield let there fair boards know it before it is too late.

P. S. This is the address I found for the Syracuse Fairgrounds:
New York State Fair
581State Fair Blvd.
Syracuse, N. Y. 13209

Safe racing to all,

Patti
Last edited by IndyBound; 9/13/09 at 5:46 PM.

9/13/09, 7:53 PM   #2
Re: Could this be the last year for Super Dirt Week at the Syracuse Mile?
VaDirt

Never been to Syracuse, but it's on the top of my dream list of events to get to. It would be a real shame if it were to close. A lot of history on that track.

9/13/09, 8:57 PM   #3
smith19

love the big sleds. my favorite cars. there i said it.

9/13/09, 9:27 PM   #4
c47

get rid of DIRTcar, bring glen donnelly out of retirement to help brett hearn get his promotional career started and THAT will be what keeps the moody mile alive.
the DIRTcar guys have ruined the DIRT series, caused a few guys to drop off the World of Outlaws and now that is starting to look pretty weak seemingly leaving the late models as their premier class.
they came DAMN close to cancelling super dirt week last year cause they didnt know about, or were prepaired to pay the entertainment tax that comes along with renting the fairgrounds.

use to be a HUGE season ending EVENT where guys would just bring their "saturday night" cars out and run on the mile.
the antics after hours are legendary and the racing was just as intense......now its about fuel mileage, "one race a year" cars and motors and getting tossed in tech if your doors are 1/4 inch too high.
sure would be nice if someone could get it back the way it was........big block mods, small block mods and silver crown cars at the mile.....the ghetto in the camping area......thats all that was ever needed.
Last edited by c47; 9/13/09 at 9:29 PM.

9/13/09, 9:56 PM   #5
Boston41

I'd hate to see it go for nostalgia stake, but it is a very, very boring race.

9/14/09, 8:05 AM   #6
Midwest Connection

Patti,

I didn't know this about the Syracuse Mile. I hate to see this happen. The Syracuse Mile is one of the oldies but goodies.

My first race at the Syracuse Mile was in 1960.
Cliff Kotary won on Labor Day that year in the #60X.

Barney Oldfield I do believe won the first big car race at the Syracuse Mile on September 18, 1909 in a Benz - a 5 lap race at an average speed of 57. 140 mph.

Have a good day...see you at the races

Rich - Arnold, Missouri

9/14/09, 1:58 PM   #7
IndyBound

Rich,

This week was the first I heard about the possiblty of the race track going away. An as I said I consider it hear say or rumor at least until I see it in black and white as a press release from the fair director. However I saw how fast Manzy went away this past spring; so rumor today could be a reality tomorrow.

The moody mile is the only dirt track I have seen our beloved supermodifieds compete on. I have always viewed Super Dirt Week at the moody mile as the premier dirt race of the year. I just hope the new fair director cann't find the money to make the changes he has plans for.

Safe racing,

Patti

9/15/09, 9:33 AM   #8
berks co

Super DIRT Week. The Fairgrounds. No other event like it. It's different. It's not a short track race. It is a Nascar style fuel mile deal. Last year Frank Cozze won I saw people with tears it is that emotional of a deal. This year should be good, WoO sprints and Rolling Wheels on SAt nite.

9/15/09, 9:13 PM   #9
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

I haven't been to the Super Dirt Week but would like to attend sometime. I hope that it is still alive and well and also being run at the Syracuse Mile for many years to come. To many tracks closing and I fear more will come at the end of this season. I hope I am wrong.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

9/16/09, 2:55 PM   #10
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
I haven't been to the Super Dirt Week but would like to attend sometime. I hope that it is still alive and well and also being run at the Syracuse Mile for many years to come. To many tracks closing and I fear more will come at the end of this season. I hope I am wrong.

Mike, my memories at the Syracuse Mile go back to the 1950's, I also hope the Moody Mile at the Syracuse Fairgrounds is around for a long time to come but, I share your fears. I am afraid right now I fear every race track is in jeporady of being gone tomorrow. It is a crap shoot which tracks will survive and which ones will be gone.

Mike, that is a great picture of Andrew!!!

Patti

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Could this be the last year for Super Dirt Week at the Syracuse Mile?