IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > South Bend Motor Speedway is for Sale
6/25/14, 1:26 AM   #1
South Bend Motor Speedway is for Sale
Stevensville Mike

Anyone got any extra cash laying around? They are only asking $875,000. I am sure they can be chipped down to a flat $800,000.

What did it sell for back in 2010-ish? I remember it was up for auction, but the high bid was about $200,000. The owners then was asking $900,000-ish.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18651...South-Bend-IN/

6/25/14, 9:38 AM   #2
Re: South Bend Motor Speedway is for Sale
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Is it even operating now Mike? I was up there a couple of years ago for a supermodified show and it looked like it needed some major renovations. The track surface was especially in bad shape. Don't know if they did anything to it but it could be a decent place with some improvements.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

6/25/14, 11:15 AM   #3
Stevensville Mike

Looks like, by their website, they are still in business this year. It's been up and running the past 2-3 years. When they first re-opened, there were spots on their schedule for open non-winged sprints. That would have complemented Spartan Speedway quite well on the nights they were not running open non-winged sprints, but it never materialized. Said spots were deleted and they pretty much ran tin tops and karts from there on out.

I did make it there for a Sunday Afternoon AVSS show a few years ago. It was the only time I went once it re-opened. What I remember most was they had some pavement mods on the undercard. In the first heat a mod exploded and engine and oiled down the whole track. They threw a red flag to clean it up. Two guys in a golf cart then rode out there with a five gallon bucket of oil dry. One poured it slowly while the other ground it into the track - with his shoes. THAT was the cleanup crew! The flag man then came down and helped, for he had two shoes, too.

Over an hour later, the racing resumed.

But yeah, the place was in rough shape, but IMO they missed the boat not running open non-winged sprints every other week, or so, when Spartan was not running them. No one else runs them. But it's not my call nor my money.
Last edited by Stevensville Mike; 6/25/14 at 11:37 AM.

1 member likes this post: Mud Packer
6/25/14, 10:32 PM   #4
old time Hoosier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevensville Mike View Post
Anyone got any extra cash laying around? They are only asking $875,000. I am sure they can be chipped down to a flat $800,000.

What did it sell for back in 2010-ish? I remember it was up for auction, but the high bid was about $200,000. The owners then was asking $900,000-ish.

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18651...South-Bend-IN/
Anybody out there know when the South Bend Motor Speedway was built? I remember going there with my Dad for a AAA midget race but I can't remember the year. My SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) would be either 1948 or 1949. Anybody know for sure?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > South Bend Motor Speedway is for Sale