IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Closed Thread  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Lakeside usac sprints rained out
5/20/21, 12:30 PM   #1
Usac: Lakeside usac sprints rained out
admin

5/20/21 12:26 PM LAKESIDE USAC SPRINTS RAINED OUT

http://usacracing.com/news/sprint-ca...nts-rained-out

LAKESIDE USAC SPRINTS RAINED OUT

By: Richie Murray – USAC Media

Kansas City, Kansas (May 20, 2021)………USAC’s AMSOIL National Sprint Car doubleheader weekend at Lakeside Speedway in Kansas City, Kan., scheduled for May 21-22, has been rained out.

Word from track owner Pete Howey and event promoter Track Enterprises is that due to the extensive precipitation that has accumulated throughout the week at the 4/10-mile dirt oval, and with a forecast calling for thunderstorms later Thursday and throughout the night into Friday, the track and the facility grounds would be too saturated to conduct this weekend’s racing events.

The pair of races were to be the USAC AMSOIL National Sprint Cars’ first visit to Lakeside since 2017, and the first co-sanctioned event between three of USAC’s Sprint Car series: National, the Wholesale Batteries Midwest Wingless Racing Association and Wingless Sprints Oklahoma.

The USAC AMSOIL National Sprint Car season continues next Wednesday night, May 26, with the 51st running of the Tony Hulman Classic at Indiana’s Terre Haute Action Track.* Pits open at 2pm EDT, grandstands at 3pm, hot laps at 6:30pm with racing to follow.* Adult general admission tickets are $25. Infield admission is $15. Pit passes are $30.

Advance tickets for both the Tony Hulman Classic and the following night’s Sumar Classic USAC Silver Crown race at Terre Haute on Thursday, May 27, are on sale now at www.tracpass.com. *Tickets will also be available at the gate on each race day.

USAC Wingless Sprints Oklahoma now travels to The New Tulsa Speedway in Oklahoma for their next event on Friday, May 28.* The USAC Midwest Wingless Racing Association heads to Double X Speedway in California, Mo. on Sunday, May 30.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
5/20/21, 12:52 PM   #2
Re: Usac: Lakeside usac sprints rained out
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

You hate this for the fans and teams but It's the right call if it's already a issue. Saves a team probably several thousand in haul, boarding and food that probably wouldn't get to race anyway.

Lakeside is a neat demanding track Sure Sprint car racing is neat on the quarters but something extra at some of the bigger faster tracks.. Hope they get to race there again soon.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Jonr, oppweld, PJ Wright
5/20/21, 6:32 PM   #3
sw1911

I understand why they did that but dammit they are more likely now to cancel than they used to.

5/20/21, 7:16 PM   #4
Jonr

In case you were wondering, there was a downpour during the afternoon rush hour in Kansas City. There were many streets that were starting to flood over, and you could not use both lanes of traffic. I don't know who, but someone in KC really pissed off the weather gods.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, oppweld, tirespinner
5/20/21, 7:25 PM   #5
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

9 July one day show would be nice!

2 members like this post: billw, oldfan49
5/20/21, 10:39 PM   #6
BrentTFunk

Feel for the people who run Lakeside. Haven't they been shut down for extended periods of time because of flooding? I was there years ago, it sets real close to the Missouri River.

5/22/21, 3:55 PM   #7
LB

Good call ,been raining all day ,sucks c a use wanted to see them before heading to Anderson this week,,,yep Brent close to the river ,,almost the whole summer couple of years ago

5/22/21, 7:02 PM   #8
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentTFunk View Post
Feel for the people who run Lakeside. Haven't they been shut down for extended periods of time because of flooding? I was there years ago, it sets real close to the Missouri River.
I have lived in KC for 12 years and Lakeside has been shut down twice because of floods during this time. Both of them were called 100 year floods. The first flood may have contributed to the second flood because there was a breach of the levee during the first flood. I am not confident how well it was repaired.

Lakesides slogan is "Racing on the Rivers Edge" but there is farmland between the track and the river. I would guess that the track is about a mile away from the river.

There have been several owners of Lakeside since I have been here. Each have brought different strengths. However, I when I first came here Lakeside was the best run track in the area and was definitely a front gate track. It only had 3 classes. As time as gone on the efficiency of the program has declined and the number of classes has increased greatly. However, the current owner has been much more active in bringing in National Tours.

5 members like this post: Hubie, oldfan49, oppweld, PIT CART, tirespinner
Closed Thread Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac: Lakeside usac sprints rained out