IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Florida open wheel Dec/Jan. or Feb?
10/15/08, 11:54 AM   #1
Florida open wheel Dec/Jan. or Feb?
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

:confused:Hey Snowbird racefans,
I'm getting ready to plan my trip to Florida this winter & want to take in some open wheel racing.:Steer
Since the PRI event has no racing this year, could anyone make a suggestion(s) where & when to see the most for my bucks?(I prefer the dirt but will go to any):greenflag:
Thanks,
INDY:checkered:
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

10/15/08, 1:20 PM   #2
Re: Florida open wheel Dec/Jan. or Feb?
racephoto

I received this PR from DIRT.

Tonya Moschell, General Manager

386-985-4402 • tmoschell@dirtcar.com

Convention Holiday Classic Adds To PRI Show

Volusia Speedway Park will showcase DIRTcar Racing to Convention attendees

BARBERVILLE, Fla. — Oct. 15, 2008 — The 2008 racing will extend into December at the inaugural Convention Holiday Classic Dec. 11-13 at Volusia Speedway Park.

While the motorsports world invades the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando for the Performance Racing Industry Trade Show, the nights will heat up less than an hour away at the big high-speed, half-mile oval in Barberville, Fla.

With gates opening at 5:30 p.m. and racing starting at 7:30 p.m. each night, the event will feature UMP DIRTcar Sportsman and Street Stocks on Thursday, Dec., 11; Volusia Speedway Park DIRTcar Late Models and UMP DIRTcar Modifieds on Friday, Dec. 12; and Sprint Cars and Mini-Sprints on Saturday, Dec. 13.

“So many racers and motorsports industry experts are in Central Florida for the convention in Orlando so it’s a great opportunity to showcase our local racers to racing people from all of the United States and beyond,” said Tonya Moschell, Volusia Speedway Park general manager. “Those visitors to Volusia Speedway Park for the Convention Holiday Classic should expect the finest in grassroots racing action on the South’s fastest half mile oval.”

For tickets and information, call 386-985-4402 or go to VolusiaSpeedwayPark.com. Volusia Speedway Park is about 30 minutes from Daytona International Speedway on Highway 40, only 15 miles west of I-95 exit 268 in Ormond Beach.

Convention Holiday Classic

Thursday, December 11
UMP DIRTcar Sportsman $1000 to win
UMP DIRTcar Street Stock $500 to win
Admission: $10
Pits: $25

Friday, December 12
VSP DIRTcar Late Model $3000 to win
UMP DIRTcar Modified $1200 to win
Admission: $20 ($15 with PRI badge or coupon)
Late Model Entry Fee: $100

Saturday, December 13
Sprint Cars and Mini-Sprints
Admission: $15

Racing starts at 7:30 p.m. each night with gates opening at 5:30 p.m. and pits opening at 4:30 p.m. A three-day pass is $30.

10/15/08, 6:59 PM   #3
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

East Bay has the same split show they did last year. ASCS practice Wednesday January 28 and then racing the next three nights. Be aware that the Saturday night Laney Memorial is the night before the Super Bowl in Tampa. Last February, when I checked out of the motel I had stayed in for several years, I was told that they would have no rooms available for racers in 2009. The city had frozen 40,000 rooms for Super Bowl people.

After late models on February 1-7, sprint racing at East resumes with winged 410s on Monday, February 9 and Tuesday 10. The payoff is $3,000 on Monday and $5,000 on Tuesday, so I wouldn't expect a huge field. Last year they ended up with 16 sprints on Monday and Tuesday rained out. Apparently the WoO has a 48 hour rule, so none of them could come over after Volusia ran and run East Bay on Monday.

Last year Volusia ran the week between ASCS and the 410s. They are always much slower to update their site than East Bay, so nothing is posted for this year.

If my memory is correct (not something you want to assume), there were some pavement sprints running about that same time. Also, the All Stars ran a 410 race in northern Florida against the Saturday night East Bay show last year.

Hope this helps. And don't forget, the strawberries are ripe and cheap around Tampa at that time of year.

Frank Daigh

10/15/08, 10:07 PM   #4
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1808 View Post
:confused:Hey Snowbird racefans,
I'm getting ready to plan my trip to Florida this winter & want to take in some open wheel racing.:Steer
Since the PRI event has no racing this year, could anyone make a suggestion(s) where & when to see the most for my bucks?(I prefer the dirt but will go to any):greenflag:
Thanks,
INDY:checkered:
I think there are only 4 dirt tracks left in Florida. Volusia, East Bay, Ocala (back to dirt after several years as pavement), and a track around Lake City where the All Stars did an event last year. In addition to the previous posts, you can see some pretty good pavement racing at New Smyrna before Daytona in Feb. They run 9 nights on a high banked half. The TBARA winged (360) sprinters put on a good show there. They also run some extremely fast mods. Kyle Bush ran one last year until he "got behind in his steering" and hit the wall. Dates are up on their website. There are several (nearly) weekly pavement tracks operating during the winter. We go some Sat nights to Citrus Co (Inverness) Speedway. $9 for seniors and they may have 6 or more classes from fast mods to 4cyl junkers. They'll run a TBARA show in Feb too. 3/8 high banks.

10/15/08, 10:20 PM   #5
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

Oops! I posted without looking to see how many dirt tracks there are running in FL. There are 8 or 9 more than I thought. See Florida Racetracks site for list. I just listed the ones I know about.

10/19/08, 10:02 PM   #6
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Volusia has its schedule up. Sprints are February 3 through the 8th. All Stars the first three nights and WoO the last 3. Good luck with rooms if you are going to East Bay. The cheapest I found the latter part of the week were $200+ per night.

Frank Daigh

10/20/08, 11:32 AM   #7
Z-man

East bay schedule here http://www.eastbayracewaypark.com/09...ls%20page.html

10/20/08, 3:00 PM   #8
Offy22

The Volusia sprints during the PRI weekend are limited sprints not "full race 360's".
Beware of getting your East Bay tickets in advance. They charge $5 fee and in the event that they give any type of refund it is in East Bay currency good only on future East Bay tickets and usually under the face value of the tickets as purchased.

10/24/08, 10:30 PM   #9
Indy1808

Race Count This Year: 37
Race Count Last Year: 35

Wow!
Thanks to everyone for your help.
Makes you proud to be a member of the forum.:thumb
"Sitting in the Stands " #noteamracing

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Florida open wheel Dec/Jan. or Feb?